Pt/Pd paper recommendations

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by wyofilm, Feb 3, 2018.

1. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have done a few of my first Pt/Pd contact prints and they are working out nicely - in my novice way. They are contact prints from 4x5 negatives onto Bergger cot 320 paper. Since, I am still very much experimenting and learning the technique, I thought it would be good to try at least one other paper to see what effect that has on the print. So my question is what paper do you recommend for Pt/Pd prints that doesn't require sizing, acidifying, or much humidity? If I should stick with Bergger, then that is fine - I don't have any criticism of it.

Thanks!

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Bergger is lovely - I print a lot on it. Another great paper to try is the new Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag. It's a very easy to use paper (no special pre-treatment required), and it prints as easily and as economically (as regards emulsion volume) as the Bergger.

3. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I haven't tried the Hahnemuhle paper yet but I have heard good reports about it. My standby has been Arches Platine. I do use Hahnemuhle Photo Rage Baryta for inkjet prints and with excellent results.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

4. Alan9940

Alan9940 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag. A lovely paper!

5. OP
    OP
    wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys. I will take a look at one of the other papers mentioned.

6. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Having printed on both Arches Platine and Hahnemule Platinum Rag (HPR), I have settled on HPR. I buy it in the 50" x 33' roll, and cut it into various standard sizes depending on the project at hand.

7. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hahnemule Platinum Rag is 1/2 price of Arches Platine in my neck of the woods , I use it ,

COT320 is another excellent paper.

8. OP
    OP
    wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are several things making lean towards the Hahnemule, not the least of which is that is comes in the more practical size (for me) of 8x10. The issue I've read at Photrio by Andrew O'Neill where he had trouble with low humidity. I live in very low humidity (even in summer) and only have a small dark room, which is the same room that holds my enlarger and counter where I coat paper. I'm not keen on doing much humidifying in the room with my enlarger.

His thread is here -
    https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/not-happy-with-hahnemuhle-platinum-rag.142805/#post-1865888

I will still likely give HPR a try.

9. OP
    OP
    wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are several things making lean towards the Hahnemule, not the least of which is that is comes in the more practical size (for me) of 8x10. The issue I've read at Photrio by Andrew O'Neill where he had trouble with low humidity. I live in very low humidity (even in summer) and only have a small dark room, which is the same room that holds my enlarger and counter where I coat paper. I'm not keen on doing much humidifying in the room with my enlarger.

His thread is here -
    https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/not-happy-with-hahnemuhle-platinum-rag.142805/#post-1865888

I will still likely give HPR a try.

10. Alan9940

Alan9940 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IMO, HPR needs to be humidified for best results. I bought a plastic storage container and cut a hole in the bottom to allow an inexpensive humidifier to vent into it. I, also, built a stand out of PVC plumbing and a rack inside for the paper to sit on. Works great and the whole thing cost me about $50.

11. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    IMHO all papers need humidity for making PT PD - this is why I keep my coating and exposing room at 50% all year round.

12. Alan9940

Alan9940 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed, but when you live in the desert there’s no such thing as 50% humidity. :wink:

13. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alan-

one thing that might help you is what I'm doing right now (although this side-effect was unintentional) - I got a sous-vide machine and an 18-quart bucket to heat my Potassium Oxalate and keep it at a constant 130 F throughout my printing session. By heating the water, it creates a constant elevated humidity in the room and helps with ambient temperature as well, since my darkroom is in my basement which sits at a pretty constant 50-55 F in the winter.

14. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Bummer

15. Alan9940

Alan9940 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tip! I'm pretty happy, though, with my current setup--my simple and cheap humidifying box and a BUNN coffee warmer to heat/maintain temp of the PO developer.

16. OP
    OP
    wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why is this, asks the novice?

17. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here in sunny south Florida it is usually rather humid but since our home and my darkroom are under central air conditioning I'm not sure what the humidity inside is. My belief is that a slightly humid paper will absorb the coating better than a perfectly dry paper. An easy way to humidify the paper is to very lightly coat it with a brushed-on distilled water and wait until it is almost dry to touch before coating. I've made equally successful prints by coating "dry" paper directly from the package and humidifying as I just described. Try the same negative both ways and see what works best for you.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

18. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    From a practical point of reference ... dry paper sucks up more chemistry and it seems deeper into the paper than I would like... humid paper not so much and the coating goes on smooth like butter with a brush.
    Consistent humidity % gives me predictable results.
    I remember Sandy King and Mark Nelson did a Pt Pd workshop in my space 10 or 15 years ago and it was in the winter and I do remember the Cussing going on by the Southern Gentleman , and a huge tent was made within the space with a portable humidifier to make their process work.

19. OP
    OP
    wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aha, well I don't think I need extra cussing. I'll rig something up ...

Thanks. Time for some experimentation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.