Members
Latest member
adam m
Recent bookmarks

GRHazelton

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
After an update my HP Pavilion dv6 laptop with AMD processor, it won't let me use the numeric keypad. Going to "Settings" seems to furnish no help; with the SSD I can't get to the setup screen before Windows loads; that screen can usually be entered by pressing "esc" when booting up. And yes, I've tried the Num Lock key. Any ideas?

cramej

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Find your keyboard in Device Manager, right click on it and select Update Driver. If unsuccessful, uninstall the device, reboot the computer and let it either reinstall the device automatically or use a rolled back driver. I would not suggest rolling back updates if you can help it but HP doesn't list any Win10 compatible drivers on their support page. Your last option may be going to a previous restore point.

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
Right click the start button. Select Command Prompt (Administrator) may be labeled Windows Power Shell Administrator .
At the command prompt type: sfc /scannow then press enter. Do not do anything until System File Checker finishes.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93
DISM https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-and-sfc/1021b42a-09ff-41a0-a95a-48f3ee3ae699
Run command at 3.3 if SFC cannot repair the errors.
Be sure to include the spaces in the command line when typing.

Photo Engineer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
At boot time, before the desktop appears, hold down the f8 key. This should take you to a diagnostic menu. Boot to a simple command prompt or to a simple Windows environment. Then you can explore to see if everything is OK with the keyboard. If not, then a driver being added over the basic OS is doing something odd. You can then figure out what is up as noted above.

PE

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
At boot time, before the desktop appears, hold down the f8 key. This should take you to a diagnostic menu
The OP's maintenance documentation for his laptop says to press the ESC key to get to the menu then f2 to get to the diagnostics. Every modern computer is different by manufacturer. F2, F10, and F12 are common keys used when the boot screen comes up to enter Bios, change startup behavior, or enter diagnostics. F8 sometimes gives a message as to which keys to use but not always. Consult the documentation for your machine.

OP
OP
GRHazelton

GRHazelton

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I've run sfc /scannow. No problems found. I'll set this aside for a while.
Many thanks to all!

Photo Engineer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The OP's maintenance documentation for his laptop says to press the ESC key to get to the menu then f2 to get to the diagnostics. Every modern computer is different by manufacturer. F2, F10, and F12 are common keys used when the boot screen comes up to enter Bios, change startup behavior, or enter diagnostics. F8 sometimes gives a message as to which keys to use but not always. Consult the documentation for your machine.

There are 2 boot sequences. One is the POST (Power On Self Test) which takes place using the BIOS. Every computer has a different key sequence here, but once the boot begins, the f8 key takes over when the windows stub begins the actual boot of the software from the disk. At this point, f8 takes over. There are other options in Win 10 which determine action such as installing previous versions (1 or more are stored) and wiping out everything. I've had to do all of the above recently with a brand new computer. Well, actually, I didn't, the Tech Rep did as I had purchased an in-home service contract. He took me through this on my brand new Dell.

PE

Kino

Shooter
Multi Format
Try F2 and F10 for BIOS. I think my Dell uses F2.

For the F8 sequence, hold down on the F8 key BEFORE you power up and continue to hold it down until Windows begins to boot and you'll get the menu PE is speaking about.

Your BIOS should flash a screen that shows the proper keystroke sequence to get into setup. If it goes by too fast, shoot it with a smart phone on video record and step through it frame by frame...

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
I've encountered a glitch or two after a Win 10 update where the settings menu showed the setting I had selected but Windows default was in use. Clicking on the drop down menu showed the default greyed out, clicking it then clicking my choice returned my choice to in use. Something similar may be happening with a Bios setting. In the OP's case if Number Lock is set to On set it to off then back to On and save the changes.

Photo Engineer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I've found that some manufacturers in some models selectively disable the f8 key in many versions of Windows. At least that is what my searches have found. They suggest running MSCONFIG and from there you can enable a Safe Boot with several configuration options. You might try that to look into your configuration.

PE

OP
OP
GRHazelton

GRHazelton

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Well, the problem seems to be solved! Just sort of poking around, on Control Panel I went to Ease of Access, then to Ease of Access Center, to Set up Mouse Keys. At the bottom there is Use Mouse Keys when NUM Lock is Off. I selected that and..... Voila! The number key pad works! Now to see if that will survive a re- boot. The question remains...how did the failure of the keypad occur? I've never visited the "Set Up Mouse Keys" screen before.... Cue eerie music....
Many, many thanks to all who made suggestions. PhotoTrio is a wonderful resource.:happy:

Kino

Shooter
Multi Format
Unfortunately, Microsoft is now positioning Windows to be a "service", not a software package, like Adobe products has done to their products.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-overview

This means that we can look forward to possibly having to re-configuring and customizing our systems with every update.

I use a privacy VPN on my Windows 10 computer and it causes innumerable problems with the Windows App and Store services. Many basic apps refuse to work, so I have to hunt out replacements for things like photo viewer, the calculator and so on.

The future is not bright for Windows users...

Shooter
Multi Format
Unfortunately, Microsoft is now positioning Windows to be a "service", not a software package, like Adobe products has done to their products.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-overview

This means that we can look forward to possibly having to re-configuring and customizing our systems with every update.

I use a privacy VPN on my Windows 10 computer and it causes innumerable problems with the Windows App and Store services. Many basic apps refuse to work, so I have to hunt out replacements for things like photo viewer, the calculator and so on.

The future is not bright for Windows users...

Jeeeesus...greed has no bounds. Hopefully someone will come along to sell a different operating system. Or at least make a software that can block MS for their updates.

I still use Lightroom 5 and very happy with it. I'm using Windows 7 on an old laptop and happy with it as well. The computer I'm using now has Win 10 and is having a forced update and the speed is grinding to a halt. Could not be more unhappy with Win 10.

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
In the Update & Security section of Settings click on the Advanced Options/Delivery Optimization until you get to this screen:
ScreenShot_20181020125428.jpeg then select and adjust for your system/usage. Review the settings on each page as they may improve your experience also.

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
As per the british comedy, "The IT Crowd"- have you tried turning it off and on again?
Commercial equipment user employee calls the service tech, "this machine will not work, I've tried everything. I need you to come out and fix it."
The tech arrives at the company, walks over to the machine, turns the power switch on, the machine works fine, hands the company a bill for $125, the going rate for the maintenance at the time.:smile:
Actually happened a few times.

BMbikerider

Shooter
35mm
Could it be simply a keyboard malfunction and nothing to do with the update, that being simply a coincidence?
I have had similar with my desktop and a new keyboard sorted it out, I appreciate it is not so easy with a laptop but that may be the answer.

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
Could it be simply a keyboard malfunction and nothing to do with the update, that being simply a coincidence?
Right click the Start button. Select Device Manager. Select the keyboard, right click the keyboard from the dropdown, click uninstall device. Windows should reinstall it with the correct driver. You can also rollback the driver or update the driver first if you wish. Works for most if not all hardware connected to the computer.

Arklatexian

Shooter
Multi Format
After an update my HP Pavilion dv6 laptop with AMD processor, it won't let me use the numeric keypad. Going to "Settings" seems to furnish no help; with the SSD I can't get to the setup screen before Windows loads; that screen can usually be entered by pressing "esc" when booting up. And yes, I've tried the Num Lock key. Any ideas?
I can't tell you how to fix your computer. I can tell you how I fix mine, however. First, I turn red in the face, spend fifteen minutes calling it every obscene name I know plus a few that I make up on the spot. Then, I call my granddaughter, wait for her to finish school for the day, she comes over and fixes it in 5 seconds unless I have messed things up, then it takes her 30 seconds. I watch but still don't know what to do. She has need of my help, however, she is having me show her how to shoot, develop, and print pictures, using my Olympus OM2s, which will soon be hers, in my darkroom. Aren't I sneaky? What better way to get a 17 year old hooked on film photography.......Regards!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom