Printing on Digital transfer film

Discussion in 'Digital Negatives' started by Geopadi2, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Geopadi2

Geopadi2 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    I am trying to print a 10 x 8 Digital negative using Permajets transfer film on an Epson ET-2750 which I know is not the best as it is not a photo printer, however it stops printing completly at about 1.5cm into the print and then just finishes as if there is nothing in printer so I have to pull it out by hand. What it does print (1.5cm) seems of reasonable quality but no matter what settings I try (which are limited anyway) it refuses to print any further. I subsequently printed a positive on glossy photo paper by Permajet without problem. I contacted Epson for help but they just said they cannot advise on anything but Epson products which I guess is predictable sadly.
    Am I wasting my time with this printer ? This is my first attempt at digital negatives and I also want to make a 5 x 4 for enlarging as well as the intended 10 x 8 contact print.
    Thanks

2. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try taping the transparency material to a piece of plain paper.

3. OP
    OP
    Geopadi2

Geopadi2 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah OK thats a good idea hopefully it doesnt all end up jammed in printer ! thanks I'll give it a go.

4. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a "cheapie' (read $75.00) Cannon printer for printing onto 8.5 by 11 inch Pictorico for 'alt photo' negatives just make sure that you are inserting the Pictorico sheet with the 'red leader' end FIRST

Ken

5. Andrew O'Neill

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He's not using Pictorico, though.

6. OP
    OP
    Geopadi2

Geopadi2 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am afraid it did not work same thing happened again, I think I am heading for a photo printer!

7. Andrew O'Neill

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two used 3800's that do a marvelous job. At the school I teach at, I dug out an old 1400 that hadn't been used for about 8 years. I was happy to see that it also does a great job. Got the tech guy to install QTR (sadly we lowly teachers don't have admin privileges anymore!). Now my students can make cyanotypes from digi negs from their 35mm negs

Just saw a couple on kijiji for cheap...

8. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
  9. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've not had good luck with dye based printers and digital negs. Either the ink won't dry onto the film, or the colors don't block as much UV. I prefer and would recommend pigment printers for this application.

10. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Agreed in general about the UV blocking aspect, but they are significantly more expensive which may or may not be a problem for the OP.

11. Andrew O'Neill

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can get a used Epson Stylus Photo printer quite cheap. I paid $200CDN for a used 3800 and as I mentioned earlier, the 1400 used for under $200CDN. I just ordered in 5 of each colour for the 1400 from a local company that sells Epson compatible inks.... dirt cheap. $20 for 5.

12. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have procured a refurbished 1430, which is similar to 1400, myself. Are your 1400 compatibles pigments or dye-based? I am still trying to decide if I will convert it to a monochrome printer or keep it as color. Regarding buying an used old printer, I would just be concerned, based on my own experience in reviving an old HP B9180, that it could be a handful if you are not experienced in trouble shooting these unpredictable machines.

:Niranjan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.