Preliminary Pyrocat Experiences

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Adrian Twiss, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a Prescysol user I have grown to enjoy the benefits of Pyrocatechin developers. No disrespect to Peter Hogan (the man has to make a living) I thought I could save money by mixing my own pyrocat. I just developed 4 5x4 sheet films (HP5 plus) in trays and must say I am very impressed. At 24 degrees I find that 81/2 minutes gives me just over N contrast and 61/2 minutes is almost right for N contrast. This is with constant agitation and the film rated at 320 iso. I intend to try mimimal agitation in trays (one sheet at a time) for 9min 45 seconds with constant agitation for the first minute then 10 seconds every 3 minutes thereafter. I still fee I must refine my development times but my initial impressions are that this is a developer I can stick with.

2. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    its great. The only reason I dont use it now is that in Afghanistan the water quality is all over the place. I found that I lose speed compared to D76 (about 1/3 stop) and 1/2 the EI of DDX/Xtol, but get great tonality, acutance and most of all, amazing shadow separation. When I return to civilisation, the pyrocat will come out again, when i dont need the speed. When I do, Xtol with some rodinal thrown in is looking good, esp with foma 100 & 200 and Neopan 400.

3. OP
    OP
    Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I printed some of the negatives yesterday and on balance I think my development times are too short. As a baseline I used the graphs supplied by Sandy King and developed for a contrast index of 5. One of my prints is a little flat needing between grade 3 1/2 and 3 3/4. The negative I developed for 8 1/2 minutes is more like N rather than N+ on reflection. Some more experimentation needed I think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.