Home > Analog Workflow Forums (100% Analog/Traditional) > Analog Equipment > 35mm Cameras and Accessories > Praktica Appreciation Thread

Praktica Appreciation Thread

1. I've a soft spot for these cameras and own and use a few.

The history is interesting, I find the ergonomics good and they can and do produce good results.

I know feelings are very split on the Praktica range.

And don't forget the predecessors and offsprings like the very good Jenaflex.

Also Revue, Porst etc.

How about posting your results from your Praktica, good and bad experiences,stories etc.

Good cameras, bad cameras, experiences with lenses etc.

Hints and tips would also be good.

It's OK Praktica owners, the skeleton can now come out of the cupboard.

2. I have a TL 1000 which I've used a few times. Rather big and heavy compared to my Pentax P30 and Nikon FE bodies. I don't use it often enough to bother keeping the weincell batteries around, so I mostly use the "sunny-f5.6" rule (Sunny 16 doesn't work well in Norway). The camera has a construction flaw when shooting bulb: When releasing the trigger, the aperture blades open before the shutter closes.

3. Interesting observation! I guess though in most B-mode exposure that would not matter.

4. I have two BX20 kits, one owned from new, and an MTL3 and B100 acquired together a few days ago. I had a problem when I went back to use my BX20 after a decade or two of using other cameras. I forgot to disable the meter by setting it to B and I removed my 50mm to clean it, when I put it back on it wouldn't meter. I checked with the 70-210mm and that was OK so the problem is probably just a disconnected wire in the lens. I haven't put a film thought the MTL3 yet and the B100 is working but the lens is fungal and it appears to have sand in the lens and the body.

5. The Praktica LLC, PLC3 etc use the discontinued V21 PX 4.5 volt batteries, although you can buy replacements from battery companies which are quite expensive at £9 or so a go.

What I did was make a cell holder from the barrel of an old felt tip, a spring and three LR44 cells taped together, cost less than £1. :smile: and it works.

[​IMG]

6. Have you tried cleaning the three brass contacts on the lens?

7. I need a camera that takes my Helios 44-2 58mm f/2.0 lens. Can't decide between Praktica and Pentax Spotmatic. :-|

8. Well,

I'm biased, but I'd go for a Praktica L series with the metal shutter.

9. Mmm, the most filological choice for an Helios would be a Zenit 12 XS, it almost works as a wide open metering (the shutter release stops down the lens, no separate switch like the Praktica or Spottie, and please DO NOT try to install an Helios on a SPF, I broke the pin doing so), besides that a Spottie is smoother, a Praktica high range would be a good choice but at this point it's better to use an electric lens and take advantage of the open wide metering.

On my side I have two Prakticas, one is a NOS MTL50 that I bought out of curiosity, it's pretty rough but takes nice pictures, later on I bought a Flektogon that I thought was M42, in reality was a B bayonet, so I hunted for a B body, and I found out the Jenaflex the nicer both aesthetically and pratically (it has a small grip) that I started to use as platform for few lenses: the Flektogon 20 mm f2.8 (stellar, IMO), the excellent Prakticar 50 mm f1.4 plus the usual Pentacon f1.8 and a pair of zoom, a Sigma and a Prakticar that I assume MIJ b somebody.

I received the test roll from the Jenaflex yesterday and I remained astonished by the results, this is the Flektogon:

[​IMG]

I felt like I was falling inside that rose.

[​IMG]

Usual boring landscape.

[​IMG]

A more interesting shot I assume.

This is the 50 mm f1.4:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The zoom isn't that great but it's usable, I need to learn how to hold it firmly I assume:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The BC-1 is a nice camera, small, feels like a LX but not that deluxe, it has a decent package of features (AE priority more, AE lock, nice viewfinder, shutter not too brual), a little too much plastic but very capable and underrated IMO.

10. I just need to get those swirl on the negative with Helios. So, I may shoot mostly at or around f/2.0.

Right now I am looking Praktica MTL 5B, but may I know what do you mean be rough? Is it the film advance or the noisy shutter.

11. I'd probably class them more basic and simple than rough.

They can operate as mechanical cameras when the batteries fade or the meter fails, I particularly like the completely mechanical L with its clear viewfinder.

The shutters are noisy, but they are steel and not cloth on the L series, however the B series were apparently designed to have quieter shutters, but they are bayonet mount.

I don't have a problem with the film advance on any of mine.

Regarding the split screen viewfinders, some are horizontal, some are diagonal, I much prefer the diagonal type.

Sewin.

12. Am MTL 5B was my first "serious" camera.
    The shutter is not steel, as far as I know. I read somewhere it's titanium.

Flash sync up to 1/125 (unlike much more expensive cameras of the era)
    Rather rough mirror makes it vibrate a bit - tripod becomes very useful
    Best models in my opinion are the latest - MTL5B and it's west german branded brother Revue ML. They both take modern LR44 batteries (although you need to calibrate the meter for them - some silver equivalent of them would be better I guess). Also, the finder has an three-way diagonal image splitter, as opposed to the usual two-way horizontal.
    I've seen a Revue ML that was a re-badged MTL5 but it's easy to spot the good one - viewfinder tells it all.

Great cameras. Last one I bought from o dealer in near-mint condition for 19 EUR :smile:

13. iulian,

You are right the shutters are supposed to be titanium, however I'm not sure how much titanium is in the shutter. :smile:

14. As I said, it's fast enough to sync the flash properly at 1/125s. Minolta's of that age can't do that. I think it's titanium because they had to use titanium, not because they wanted to. Back then it was very expensive. It was also produced mainly in the eastern block (if my memory serves me well) so it's plausible.
    I haven't seen a rusted one and I've seen a lot of Praktica's. Hell, after I sold my first due to an emergency I suffered so much that I bought another one when I could afford a camera again. And another one. And another one (because it was only 19 EUR and it's in good enough condition to give to my 3 year old son when he grows up a bit :smile:

I forgot to mention, the latest model is the MTL50 but it only has LEDs to indicate exposure. The needle is much more precise so this is a case of the latest-gratest being not so great anyway :smile:

Also, the Pentacon 29mm (not 28, not 30) wide angle is quite a gem.

15. To my information their segmented shutter curtains are from steel not titanium.

16. iulian,

I got rid of my MTL50 as I just could not get on with the LEDs. I thought they would be good in low light conditions, which they were, but I didn't like them in daylight.

17. Could be :smile: I've known about the titanium stuff for so long I forgot where I know it from :smile:

I have a body i used for spare parts at home so I'll drop a blade in sulfuric acid. In a few days we'll know for sure.

18. When I was in high school back in 1967, my Dad gave me a non-functional Praktica to experiment with. I don't know the model, but it had a waist-level finder and the shutter release on the front. I took the bottom off and fiddled with the shutter curtain tension ratchets until I was rewarded with a camera that could take half a picture. Better than nothing, but quite often the subject of the photo was in the other half. That spring I took the camera to Florida to see the auto races at Sebring and was rewarded with a box of Kodachrome slides showing half-Lotuses and partial-Chaparrals. My first semi-successful camera repair, and my first SLR!

19. Please don't do. It is a academic question anyway.

20. My first SLR was a second-hand Praktica FX-3. It served well for several years with only one minor DIY repair. The new Miranda that replaced it didn't last nearly as long.

21. Lee,

Probably the same as Jims camera one of the FX range.

22. I did try cleaning the contacts. I haven't taken it apart to check the connections. I took the fungal 50mm f2.4 off the B100 apart and there was sand in there but it was metering. There are two wires going to a brass contact on the aperture ring. I will have a look at my f1.8 version sometime and try and remedy it but I do have the standard zoom that came with the second kit to use for now, the 35-80mm, though I do prefer a nifty fifty.

23. My first working slr was an MTL-3. It was a nice looking camera, and easy to use for a beginner. I can't remember which 50mm lens I had, but it gave reasonable results. I traded it for a Miranda G because it had a removable prism and a nice clip-on meter.
    Alex

24. Has someone used the VLC?

25. I have a IVB with a 2.8 Tessar lens. You may know the one with the film advance lever on the bottom. Well made and the lens is sharp as the proverbial tack.

26. Just won bids for Praktica L and Praktica MTL5B for €12.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

27. Good question, I'm also looking for a VLC, for what I understand it's the last offspring of the Exakta system.

Good luck with them!

28. Yes, I looked up the FX and that's the same type. Takes me back.. Thanks!

29. Congrats!

First test is how it performs at all shutter speeds. If they sound short (like the 1s sounds exactly like 1/125) try firing it a few dozen times at each speed. Some of them have stiffened lube inside and this sometimes works. Putting it somewhere warm for a day or two also works. Otherwise the CLA should be cheap since they are quite easy to work on.

Hope you'll like them :D

30. I'm a chemical engineer. It's not academic to me :smile:

31. cuthbert , Nice pictures from a good set of lenses.

I tried to get a VLC2 a few months ago when I was looking for a 35mm waist level finder camera,they are quite hard to get in the UK and the ones that came up on fleabay were quite pricey.

The finders are interchangeable with the Exakta RTL1000, which is a good alternative.

In the end I got an Exa 1A with a couple of finders at a very good price from Germany( less than £10). Solid basic little camera, the mirror is the shutter.

32. To me the EXA 1A is rather a oddity. But, yes a cheap way to get a basic waist-level 35mm SLR.

33. I agree, I originally had an Exakta but the shutter failed, speeds were out too,so I looked for a cheap body in the Exa, Exakta range to use the lens and finder on and picked up the EXa 1A.

It's a solid little thing, I've not used it yet, but hope to get around to using it soon.

The current lens I have on it is not very good, E.Ludwig Meritar and does not stop down automatically. So I'm on the look out for an automatic lens, even the Domiplan is a much better lens and is cheap to buy.

34. The first SLR I used was a Praktica, way back in the 8th grade, in 1975. Our school had two of them, and a darkroom with a couple of Meopta Opemus III enlargers. B/W photography and darkoom work was offered as an elective subject, which I took. The Praktica was big, heavy, and built to withstand the rigors of school (ab)use. I once dropped it, while standing on a ledge that was taller than me, and the camera must have fallen some ten or twelve feet before hitting the tarmac below. It got a dent in the top of the pentaprism housing - but continued to work perfectly.

35. I was given the MTL3 from my Sister-in-Law that I got her for her Son then he never used it and jammed the self-timer -- I managed to un-jam it -- then I had a telephone call from a local Councillor that he was going to the Council Rubbish Tip with some 'Old cameras' a Widow had asked him to dispose and remembered that I messed about with 'Old Cameras; so I rushed there and he gave me her deceased Husband's LTL, LB and Super TL with various lenses -- I gave away the Super TL to a Camera Club member and cleaned up the rest and have used them. I even took some to the Philippines one year instead of my Pentaxes !
    LTL + Kodak Elite Extra film
    [​IMG]three-Graces by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

LTL + Tamron SP f3.5-4 70-210mm
    [​IMG]Tamron Test 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

MTL3 + 50mm f1.8 Pentacon, outdated BOOTS ( Fuji) 400 film rated 200 ASA

[​IMG]Glass Abstract by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

36. I've been wanting a Praktica for a couple of years. In April I found a LB on Ebay. The selinium meter gives inconsistent readings so I use a handheld meter. It has a full range of shutter speeds(1 sec-1/1000 + B) and 1/125 flash sync which was really good for its day. The only real problem I have with it is rewinding is really tight-feels like I'm going to break something when I rewind. And a self timer would be nice to have. It's not as smooth and precise as my Japanese cameras. But on the other hand it's not nearly as klunky as my Kiev 4 RF. The Domiplan 50 2.8 that it came with gives good images but build quality and design of that lens leaves much to be desired.

37. Nice pics indeed! Is the LTL like the MTL?

38. The only differences between LTL and MTL3 I can see are the pimpled surface of the MTL3 and that it has a 3mm co-axial flash socket whereas the LTL has only a Hot Shoe -- both have delayed action levers.

39. You guys can also tell me if the BCX really has a metal top plate or is it chrome plastic?

40. Pentacon used since 1969 chromed plastic caps. Thus much earlier than Canon.

But I don't know a model designated BCX.

41. Thank you. Yes I found it listed meanwhile (Export Version of the B 200 with modified outer).

One reason I refrained from the Prakticas so far is the confusing amount of models.

42. Indeed it is very very confusing.

I stuck with L series though.

43. Yes, that's the reason why I am asking, he speaks about metal cover.

I suppose the buttom plate is already metal on my jenaflex because it feels colder and many builders like Fuji kept it in brass for durability reasons.

Yes it appears that for the B series they made many aesthetic variants but it's difficult to understand what's improved.

On the other side in the L series many cameras look the same even if the specs between to say a VLC and a MTL are dramatically different, plus there is no much documentation on the net.

Anyway, time for another 50 mm f1.4 shot, not the best one of the roll, but I hope you'll like it.

[​IMG]

44. To my Information it is plastic. Keep in mind that in the chromed Version one might be fooled. To be sure, take it off and do a scratch test inside. One may even see at the inside whether a cap is pressed or moulded.

45. Plastic, similar to the last of the consumer 35mm SLR's made by Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc. in the mid 80's though to the mid 90's.

46. I've just added this little rarity from Zeiss Ikon / KW / Pentacon to my collection, Pentona with quite a nice lens.

Apparently the Pentona has a complicated history of manufacture, but it is somehow related to Praktica :smile:

[​IMG]

47. The cap forms the finder frame and thus got these parallax-marks. Never saw such before.

48. That's correct. I don't think it was an expensive camera when it came out in the mid 50's, the good thing about it is the lens a 45mm Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan.

49. I have never owned a Praktica but in this lifetime I will always believe it's the camera to own.

I was six, in first grade and joined the shool's photo club which was led by the principal. My dad sent me there with a Smena8 - even that camera was big for me as I was tiny back then. The principal promptly sent me home saying to come back if or when I get a serious camera like his own Praktica. I was embarrassed and never went back which, in retrospect, probably wasn't a bad thing.

50. The BCX was similar to the BX20 but had a silver top plate which I believe was plastic.

51. I have received my Prakticas(L2 and MTL 5B). L2 is bit smoother in cocking the shutter than MTL 5B, may be L2 is not abused. Two cameras are clean and mechanically they are all working.

[​IMG]

MTL 5B with Helios 44-2.

Looking a nice glass(rather unique like 44-2) for L2, any suggestions?

52. I have a Praktica IVF, a IVB and a V. The IVF was 'inherited' from my father. He used it semi-professionally many years ago until it fell out of the boot (trunk) of his car whilst driving along. The body and f2.8 Tessar took a bit of a battering but both still work! The focussing ring of the lens had to be largely peeled off to allow the ring to turn. The others were given to me.

I also have a Praktica Mat that I'm currently trying to repair. Information about the Super-TL is plentiful enough but most of it doesn't apply to the metering of the Mat. Any information (especially a circuit diagram) would be gratefully received.

I'm not a a fan of the later Prakticas, but the pre-L series models were robustly made and affordable and my first SLR with TTL metering was a Super TL.

Best wishes,

Steve

53. What are the the reasons for your turndown of the L-series?
    Those plastic top and bottom caps?

54. CZJ Pancolar...but it's a little expensive.

55. I still have my SuperTL that was given to me by my uncle. I'd love to use it however it's in need of some care I am unable to give it. Is there anyone in the states recommended for repair?

56. The first time I handled one I thought it felt cheap and nasty as opposed to the predecessors which were cheap yet rugged. I didn't/don't like the feel of the film advance, where at the end of the stroke there's a disconcerting crunch. It always felt to me as if there was a problem waiting to happen and, sure enough, after my father had had a Praktica L for a couple of years (fairly new) the shutter developed a fault and wouldn't cock. In recent times, just about every L series Praktica that I've come across (L, LLC, Super TL2, etc.) at sales seems to have that or a similar shutter fault. I suppose I'm generally not a huge fan of vertically running metal bladed shutters. Even those in my preferred make of Pentax don't last for ever, with MEs and K2s that I've had developing problems which have effectively written them off. Horizontally running rubberised silk shutters seem to be much more durable, needing little more than a five-yearly service to keep them in good order.
    Steve

57. The question is whether we see these mobile laboratories as indicators of remaining interest in camera films or as indicator of decline in the laboratory world.

Best to see it both ways...

58. @AgX seem you want to post this to some other thread...

59. That's strange: one of the cameras I use more is a K2DMD and I never had a problem with that.

I started to use Praktica recently and so far so good, same thing for my Zenit 19 who has a shutter that is probably the same as the BMS (it's electronically controlled, manual speeds), of course the vertical travelling shutter of the Nikon FM series is considered one of the most rugged and reliable shutter even made.

As an engineer I think the vertical travelling shutter is a better solution, especially if it's made of metal.

What's the problem? As I understand it's complicated because in the US Prakticas aren't common.

60. Steve,

I too find it strange, and I'm also an engineer :confused: and prefer the vertical shutters.

No problems with my PLC3, BC1 and B200.

The only Praktica I've had trouble with was an LLC way back in the 70's which had a temperamental meter sometimes, but I worked that camera really hard.

I quite like my B200 with the hand grenade covering!

[​IMG]

61. I have a K2DMD and a straight K2. The K2 was (until it packed up) one of my favourite cameras. However, the shutter became very sluggish to the point where it would open and not close again. Being a long-standing favourite, I sent it to Harrow Technical rather than investigating the fault myself and the verdict was that the shutter mechanism had developed an irreparable fault (as opposed to there being any electronic control reason for the problem). The DMD had meanwhile also developed exactly the same fault, so I thought better of sending it for repair. I can't help wondering whether it's a matter of something having broken down with time and may yet have a look myself on the basis of there being nothing to lose.

Meanwhile my ancient KXs, KM, MX, ES2, Spotmatic etc continue to plod on regardless!

Apologies for being off Praktica topic here.

Steve

62. I've no experience of the later Prakticas, but I'm sure they will have benefited from more experience of vertical shutter manufacture.
    Do bystanders dive for cover when you whip out the B200??:D
    Steve

63. Hi Steve,

Its a nice heavy feeling grenade, all I need to go with it now is a Zenit photosniper !

64. I have a BMS with the 50/1.4 lens on it, very much like it, do not know why am I not using more frequently though

uploadfromtaptalk1434550835659.jpg

65. That's alarming as I do have both cameras. :O

66. The 50/1.4 Prakticar is a good candidate for best 1.4 ever:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The problem is that like all the good Prakticar lenses is rare and expensive, I spent a prohibitive amount of money for the CZJ Vario-Sonnar in B mount (called of course Vario-Prakticar), hopefully it will perform well but I've never spent £100 for a zoom before.

Let's not talk about the 80/1.8...it's better!

67. Mine was roughly 15 USD kind of in local currency with an original hard case leather holder :smile:

68. Just age more than likely. Sticky erratic shutter that occasionally doesn't work. Just needs a good CLA.

69. Perhaps it's something you can do it yourself with some patience...good luck with the camera, sometimes you just have to shoot several times until it does work properly.

However, I received the infamous Vario-Sonnar (that in B mount is called Vario-prakticar), I still have to finish the film but in terms of quality it's above and beyond any cheap Japanese zoom in B mount, it also came with a case made of real leather with red plush:

[​IMG]

I also suspect that for the B200 and the other high range Prakticas of the late 70s they were using the same rubber used on the lenses to ensure a good grip, that was an interesting and vaguely funky idea.

70. I managed to fix my 50mm f1.8. It was, just as I suspected, that a wire had become disconnected and just needed re-soldering. Everything is working now.
    [​IMG]

71. I repaired my 50mm f1.8 the other day. The problem was just as I suspected, a loose wire.
    [​IMG]
    I re-soldered the wire and re-assembled the lens and everything was working fine.

72. Well done, nice neat job.

73. My first 35mm SLR was a Praktica LTL, marketed by Haminex here in the states. I bought it in about about 1972. It came with a 50mm f1.8 Orestron, IIRC, quite a good lens which focused down to about 12 inches. And why not? The purchase price also included a hideous everready case made of fake leather and shiny plastic. Ech! I never used it.

I also added an Accura 28mm, a Haminex 135mm f2.8, and a Tamron 200mm f3.5 Adaptamatic, or whatever name they were using for their intercangeable mount lenses. The 28 and 135 were mediocre, but the 200 is very good, with a tripod mount. With a set of extension tubes I was ready to go.

The Praktica gave excellent service. The ergonomics are excellent, it has IMHO, the best implementation of stop down metering there is, the camera never gave any problems, despite being bounced of a sidewalk on occasion. The shutter still sounds accurate, but the 50mm needs cleaning. Sticky diaphragm. The 28 packed it in years ago, and the 135 never was very good. The Tamron is fine, a metal monster of the old school.

74. It wasn't that neat, that was the before picture [emoji4]

75. I thought that was the repair, I can see it now.

Need to go to Specsavers :redface:

76. You're not the only one.
    Me too! :sad:

77. My problem now is I can't quite read the settings on the camera any more and its a hassle putting on reading specs then taking them off all the time.

Suppose I could just set to Auto :pouty:

78. Praktica will always have a special place in my heart.

I was given a MTL50 with a Pentacon MC 50/1.8 and a Soligor 35-70/3.5-4.5 Zoom in January 2012. That's what got me back into shooting film, and into more "serious" photography. Used this kit for a while, adding a few lenses (Formula5 28/2.8, Mirage 135/2.8, Formula5 200/3.5 (fantastic lens), Soligor 400/6.3). Turns out my dads first SLR was a LTL, bought new in the early 70's when he was 16 years old. He still has it, and I got to borrow it.

I also got to borrow a Canon AE-1 Program from him which made me choose Canon FD cameras over Nikon when it was time to replace the Praktica. Main reason was the kind of dim finder and few lens choices around 85 mm and 24 or wider. But looking back at the pictures from the MTL I realize that many are pretty good and the equipment doesn't matter.

I sold some of the M42 lenses I bought but I still have the kit I got back in 2012. Still use it sometimes, the 50/1.8 is a great lens and the ruggedness of the MTL50 is nice.

79. You need to try an EXAKTA IIa at anything slower than 1/5 you need to set the lens to manual diaphragm or use a locked wire release.

80. Semi-automatic lenses with auto stop down were available for the Varex IIa. The procedure needed for correct exposure is going to depend entirely on which lens is fitted to the body. With a T setting and the appropriate lens fitted, you could expose the gate for the rest of your life without fitting a cable should you desire...

81. My humble Praktica system proves to be extremely capable, in particular the Vario Sonnar, the Flektogon and the Prakticar 50mm f1.4:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

82. Wow!!! The last photo is my favorite.

83. Thanks, unfortunately it was raining so the pics came out so so, here there are others taken with a better weather...this is the Vario-Sonnar in action:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It does show some swirly bokeh, I like it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the Flektogon 20mm f2.8, the Pride of Jena:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 50 mm f1.4 is also a wonderful lens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

84. I feel the depth in those rainy day pictures. A polariser would have minimize the glare on the last photo of the locomotive.

Nevertheless, all the photos are good. Do you home process the color?

85. I beg to differ
    Fully automatic lenses were kit for late IIa's.
    Both my (5cm) Tessar and panacolor need nothing more than push of the release for 1/5 or faster.
    The mirror is not instant return the apertures are.

But it is not obvious how to do the slower speeds.
    The release collar is rotated with the release depressed to turn the lens to full manual mode.
    On my cameras with the shutter armed you need to release the lens lock and turn the lens so the lens release clears the cameras release and set the lens to manual then turn back to latch the lock.

A locking remote release is more convenient.

86. In other words, as I said, it is going to "...depend entirely on which lens is fitted to the body."

I am not sure which part of that did you not understand.

87. Interesting to see this being resurrected. I'm dipping my toes in the 35mm water with my father's old Praktica FX3. The CZ lens it came with has seen better days, but I've got a Helios 44-2 that is seeing most of the action.

88. Helios 44-2: I feel it is sharper than my EF 50mm f/1.4 at corresponding apertures.

89. Using a polariser in these conditions would have been counterproductive because the available light was scarce and with a pl filter I would have dramatically reduced the DOF, especially with the Vario-Sonnar...what I dislike most is that due to the heavy overcast you can't really see the steam...and these locomotives were seriously steaming! So the pics got ruined...B&W worked better, these are some shots with my LX:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I prefer to shoot in colour because I found the DDR class the best for this application, I don't even use a warming filter with my other lenses.

At the moment I am working in the UK so I can't process anything, not even B&W, what you see are cheap Boots (that is a farmacy) developments and scans...BTW they always cut my frames.

90. Hi Cuthbert,

Nice images.

What are Boots charging these days and what is the turn around please.

Thanks

91. I pay £8.49 for a 36 exposure film (usually I shoot from 37 to 39 frames, for instance with the MTL50 I usually shoot 39), development, scan on cd and 7x5 prints.

Two days service, 1 hour 1 pound more if memory serves me correctly, this weekend I went to Stonehenge and later to a Ford gathering and I shot 6 rolls, so I spent a lot of money at Boots and the clerks hate me because I'm always complaining they cut part of my frames. :sad:

92. Thanks Cuthbert,

That brings back an old memory.

I once annoyed a Boots clerk too, but opposite to your annoyance!

Back in the early 80's I only processed B&W, leaving colour to the labs. I used Max Speilman and the results were good.

However sometimes I needed a specific neg blown up to 10x8 so off to Boots I would go.

Once I clearly showed the assistant the neg on the strip of film which I needed quickly, returned to pick up 10x8, wrong neg blown up.

So the next time I went I cut the neg out of the film so there would be no error ( I knew I shouldn't have really done this). This did not go down well,as I expected, moaning they couldn't fit in the enlarger carrier etc.

Anyway they managed and the result was excellent, probably due to the fact they had to take more care setting up .

93. Quoting from page 6 :

" The BCX was similar to the BX20 but had a silver top plate which I believe was plastic. "

There were actually 2 different BCX and neither of these was similar to the BX20 :

- the chromed BCX was a rebadged B200, for export to the UK.

[​IMG]

A rare "hybrid" sample, still fitted with waffled leather from the B200.

[​IMG]

- the black BCX was a rebadged BC1, also for the UK.

[​IMG]

94. These pix show a handsome camera! Tell me, is the little square above the name a judas window to view the f stop in the viewfinder?

I used for years a LTL, which I still have, and its shutter sounds just fine. I need to have cleaned the excellent Meyer Oreston 50mm f1.8, focusing to 12 inches or so, the auto diaphragm is sticky. Even though I'm a Pentax fan I think this is perhaps a better starter camera than the K 1000. Gets closer to the basics.

95. Yes it is, the Praktica B viewfinder gives full information: aperture, shutter speed and lightmeter...at least for the manual and m + AE shutter priority models

96. More "handsome" cameras ...

The B200, first B-type (1979).

[​IMG]

The BC1, its successor (1984).

[​IMG]

And another hybrid, a B200 labeled as BC1. According to the serial number constructed 2 years before the BC1 even existed.

[​IMG]

97. Very underated those two camaeras.

I've a B200 and BC1 with an assortment of lenses etc.

Solid chunky cameras and very good to build a dedicated kit around.

98. AP did a review of all the 5cm lenses then on sale about '91 and the kit Practica came out best...

Eat heart out Nikon and Leica luvvies.

99. Nice........:cool: