Polaroid 665 -- can I get a good neg AND print?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Trask, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a bunch of Polaroid 665 I need shoot, but before I get into it I want to tap your collective experience. I've shot a lot of this film in the past, and I've found that what Ansel Adams said about the film seem to be true: if you want a decent negative, you should shoot at ASA 40 (which blows out the print). If you want a good print, well, you'd probably be shooting 667 but if you HAVE to shoot 665 you'd rate the film at ASA 80 and have an underexposed negative.

I'm curious if anyone has found either an exposure technique or a post-peel technique for having the cake and eating it too? Can I get both a good print and a good neg?

2. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    not in my experience.
    I don't know how.. And if not, I don't know why polaroid made it so.. it doesn't make sense.

I always overexpose my polaroids and get overblown positives out of that, but it is not a big issue.
    Sometimes I give the positives to the model to have for future reference, but as I am going for the negative (my favourite!) I don't care too much..

Not much help from me, I am afraid..

But if you dont want to use them then, then you just give them to me...:D

3. amuderick

amuderick Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You can if you use a scanner. The scanner is better able to cope with the thin negative that results from properly exposing the print. It isn't as good as properly exposing the negative, but it works.

4. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wish I had a chance to try this film........

5. Mike Crawford

Mike Crawford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    CAKE OR NEGATIVE?? UP TO YOU!