Members
Latest member
jrhii
Recent bookmarks

SalveSlog

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I'm new to large format. I'd like to start with an early camera, and I'm offered a Zeiss Ikon Ideal 250/7 (9x12).

2 holders comes with it. I don't think they are original, but the owner says they fit the camera all right (one is named ICA).

My question is: will the holder(s) take film? It seems to me that it is made for plates, and that something would have to be insered behind the film to hold it flat?

holders.jpg

Nodda Duma

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Those are definitely plate holders. You can shoot plates or get a 0.050” thick piece of glass cut to the proper size to use as backing for sheet film.

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Those are definitely plate holders. You can shoot plates or get a 0.050” thick piece of glass cut to the proper size to use as backing for sheet film.

9x12 sheet film is slightly smaller than a 9x12 plate so needs fixing to glass or card or it can fall out, it's the same with all sheet film formats. Some claim use a drop of honey or similar, it's better to find some film inserts.

Ian

OP
OP
SalveSlog

SalveSlog

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks Ian. Seems the inserts can be found quite easily.

Do (some of) you know the Ideal 250/7 specifically? I looks like the holder is attached not by sliding in place, but just placed directly in position and fastened with some mechanism on top. Is this an inferiour system? And could light leak be more of a problem?

Still another question: will it be easy to find a rollfillm holder for this particular camera?

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I was lucky to get some boxes of those Kodak film sheaths on Ebay a few years ago in both 9x12 and Quarter plate sizes, I may also have 6.5x9. Unfortunately I've sold my spares. Kodak did sell these in Europe as well as the US, they are in my 1940 Kodak Ltd (UK) Professional Catalogue.

I have quite a few different German 9x12 cameras which I don't use enough it's a nice format.

Ian

Nokton48

Shooter
Multi Format
Ian,
I bought three unopened boxes of Kodak 9x12 sheaths on Ebay a few years ago. Quite a deal and I still have them.

001 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I have loaded my freezer with 9x12cm sheet film, among other sizes.

Last edited:
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom