Photography Galleries in Carmel

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by images39, Mar 10, 2018.

1. images39

images39 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently went to Carmel, California for the first time. There are some impressive photography galleries there, all within a few blocks of each other. The Weston Gallery, Photography West, and the Center for Photographic Art. Two of them had shows of Roman Loranc's work (who is currently featured in Black and White Magazine). There were prints by Ansel Adams, Brett and Edward Weston, Ruth Bernhard, Morley Baer, Michael Kenna, and several other masters of the traditional darkroom print.

While it was great to view prints by these masters, the prices were of course out of my league (if I spent $3k for a print my wife would kill me...). However, the galleries also had an impressive selection of books for sale. Some of them were printed by the famed Gardner Lithograph, with superb print quality. I came home packing a bit more weight in the form of beautiful books for my collection.

Has anyone else experienced these galleries and enjoyed their impressive collections of prints and books?

Dale

2. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My favourite was the Weston Gallery. I was visiting Carmel before the start of a John Sexton workshop. They were very nice to me at that gallery. Even though I couldn't afford to buy anything I spent the better part of an afternoon there discussing photography and printing, and they were kind enough to bring out all sorts of stuff from the secret stash including some special prints I had always wanted to see by one of my favourite photographers. Great experience.

3. Richard Man

Richard Man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The gallerists are Weston are wonderful, and the stuff they have... OMG. If I have $20K disposable income, one of the first things I will buy would ba a Karsh print of O'Keefe at their place.

4. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Great galleries. .only problem is they never heard of other photographers
    For a nice look at some NEW great talent go over to the art intersection website and check out the artists from their latest show
    Truly inspiring

5. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can't stand Carmel. Entirely focused on interior decoration. Better work in Tucson and in Santa Fe.

6. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    +1