Photographers Formulary 106 Warmtone developer question

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Hal Reiser, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Hal Reiser

Hal Reiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm interested if anone has any experience with the PF 106 warmtone developer and Ilford MG FB Warmtone? I currently use Ethol LPD at 1:2 dilution and am looking to find a developer which will give a warmer image than I am getting now.
    Hal Reiser

2. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PF 106 I have no experience with, but give the Ilford Multigrade developer a shot. It produces surprisingly warm tones for not being advertised as a warm tone developer.

The Ilford Harman warmtone developer is another option.

- Thomas

3. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Generally, any paper developer will produce warmer tones the more it is diluted. You may need to give the paper terrific increases in exposure and developing time. Don't forget that 1:10 overdilution of a developer means 1 pint of working solution develops about one 8x10 sheet of paper and then needs to be thrown out.

Agfa (Ansco) 261 developer does a good job and is easy to mix up yourself.

For what you will pay for a few packets of various specialty developers you can buy the basic chemicals to make pretty much what you want: Metol, Hydroquinone, P. Bromide, S. Carbonate, S. Sulfite, Ascorbic Acid and Citric Acid. Add some Glycin to the list if you like, I don't find much to recommend the stuff but its use is very chique. Phenidone (dissolved in propylene glycol) can be useful for making some of the really cheap home-brew developers developed by Patric Gainer http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/VitC/vitc.html.