Home > General Discussion (Mixed Workflow Forums) > Photographers > Photographer Print Stamps

Photographer Print Stamps

1. Whenever I get a chance to view original prints, I try to make a quick photo of the stamp on the back of the print, and I thought it would be a good idea to post some of these for public consumption. If anyone has one, either their own or that of another photographer, please post.

2. William Eggleston Print Stamp

Here is one from a portfolio of Coca-Cola themed images I recently viewed.

20150519-6899.jpg

3. Here's the one I use
    Print Stamp.jpg

4. Is this a rubber stamp using an ink pad?

I'm thinking of having one made, but I don't know yet what kind of info I'd like to add.
    Like film type, printing process, camera, ...
    So it would be nice to see what others use.

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl

5. yes

That's why I started this thread! Hopefully we'll get to see some others. :cool:

6. Do you stamp these on the back of the print itself, or somewhere viewable in the frame?

7. Most photographers stamp the back of the print, sign date, etc. Some will also sign the front of the print or mount directly under the image area.

8. With what kind of instrument do you sign the back of the prints? I assume a felt tip, but do you use a specific archival one or a regular "Sharpie?"

9. thanks for this thread parker !
    i used to use a self inking rubber stamp
    but stopped,
    once in a while i use an embosser
    i always sign the mat in pencil and the back of the print in pencil too.

10. I made a simple lay-out for a possible stamp for me. I'd like to make a rubber stamp and use an archival ink pad.
    (red text is had written info)
    What do you think? Is this useful information?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. nothing but a soft pencil.:smile:

12. If it's a fiber base print a pencil is preferable, and archival as well. When I worked at the UGA Library Rare Book Room they pretty much frowned upon anything other than a pencil, and if you were viewing the special collections you weren't allowed to bring in anything other than paper and pencils.

14. I hope it's ok to resurrect this thread. I had a show this year in September which is still up. I sold a couple of the prints and would like to add some sort of stamp of authenticity or the like. It was suggested here that I should place the stamp on the back of the print itself, however the prints have already been framed and furthermore, I would like the client to see the stamp so they know it is of the edition. Would it make sense to remove the print from the frame to stamp the print, put it all back together then stamp the mat board as well? Or maybe include a stamped piece of paper as a certificate of authenticity while placing the stamp on the print as well?

Thank you for your help.

15. It will be a pain but I am certain any curator or collector would want to have that stamp on the back of the print. A certificate is nice but not something I've seen very often, other than with editioned ink jet prints. I'd take them to the framer, have them cracked open, stamp and sign and then put right back together. A stamp on the backer board would be a nice touch as well.

16. Yamamoto Masao print stamp:
    IMG_0374.jpg

17. Weegee print stamp:
    Weegee-PrintStamp.JPG

18. I have quite an involved stamp stating these belong to me or my heirs. also a similar one that is in calligraphy..away from my photo stuff right now but will take a digi snap when I'm reconnected to my mounting supplies...it's all good..I feel it is professional and the proper way to finish the job!!
    best, peter

19. An un-annotated photograph, even a beautiful one, has no identity. It is an orphan lost to history and will be discarded the instant it fails to appeal. The stamp on a photograph, and all the other markings too, establishes it as an object with a historic, cultural, and possible aesthetic context. To destroy such a piece is more likely malice than common neglect. I've marked all my photographs for decades. Here's an example:
    Front:
    [​IMG]
    Back:
    [​IMG]

20. What a beautiful print Maris. I like the simplicity of your stamp as well.

21. There are many and myriad ways to personalise a print. I do not scribble on the front or rear of my framed prints, and I see no relevance to mention of camera, film, lens and other flotsam so often romantically evoked over several (or many!) lines by a number of photographers. I have seen almost a third of the rear mat taken up with wholly irrelevant, almost pretentious discourse on camera, lens, apertures, program, filter, colour space....<*groan*>. Melbourne photographer David Tatnall has an elegant, small round embossed 'stamp' on the margin rebate of his prints and he has done this for many years. It is elegant and inconspicuous. My own labels, rather than 'stamps' are typeset (by me) and printed to pH-neutral self-adhesive paper affixed to the rear of the mat or framed print in the frameshop, then photographed as file reference. Unmatted/framed prints are never marked, front or rear and are not sold as unmatted or unframed works. In the case of several extant Ilfochrome Classic prints and those in the collection of Melbourne University/Royal Melbourne Hospital, a Certificate of Authenticity from both the printer and a Statement by Photographer/Originality of Work is also included.

Morning on Milford Sound III_verso_label.PNG

22. I use them on the back of the mount board.

23. Beautiful work there, Maris. Just terrific.

24. Alexander Rodchenko print stamp (sorry, a bit fuzzy). Just went through several portfolios of his work at a local gallery.
    Rodchenko-print-stamp.jpg

25. Berenice Abbott print stamp from a 1976 portfolio of 10 images:
    Berenice-Abbott-Print-Stamp.jpg

26. Arnold Newman Print Stamp. This was his standard stamp for years. Signed on the front (recto) stamped on the back (verso). I went through about sixty of his prints and they were all presented this way.
    Arnold-Newman-Print-Stamp.jpg

27. I had a rubber stamp made with just my name and copyright symbol.

28. Pirkle Jones print stamp

IMG_5270.JPG

29. using these stamps or labels
    do you worry the adhesive/ink
    will screw up the print?
    the only label i would ever use is one i make myself
    made from rag paper and glued with wheat/rice paste.
    i've made end papers for hand made books and glued them in
    with rice/wheat paste, the same used to cover the books
    does lineco / or similar archival supplier sell pre-glued labels ?

30. There are many inks that are quire safe. Printmaking and inks have been around a long time. Even if it's stamped. There is no harm

31. here is mine:

32. somewhere visible, because, the back of the print is no longer visible after dry mounting.

33. I use a stamp with an acid-free archival ink pad, and a Micron archival pigment ink fine tip pen.

34. greg and faberryman, thanks !
    i would worry that all that work would be done on my end to
    print it to last, would be compromised by "the stamp" or glue ...
    good to know my fears are unfounded ! :wink:

35. For the past year, I have been working with Lumiere gallery here in Atlanta, helping them with inventory, and copying their photographic collection, which contains about 3000 prints from Brett and Edward Weston, Strand, Abbott, Newman, Rodchenko and more. The vast majority of the collection is 50+ years old, almost all silver prints. Virtually all of them use a print stamp, either on the back of the print, or on the back of the mount board. Very few use LABELS, mostly print stamps. This is what I have been posting since I started this thread.

I haven't seen a single instance where an ink stamp or label caused any deterioration. A few of the labels had loosened, so I would suggest using a stamp.

None of the dry-mounted prints showed any evidence that the mounting had any deleterious effect on the print, even on the older Edward Weston prints that were on a gray art board which looked highly suspect. Exactly one dry-mounted Abbott print had come off the mount.

Out of all of these prints, I'd say there might be six that had some problems with the print itself (oddly enough two of these were Ansel Adams prints) and these look like they were not fully fixed. Everything else looks like it just came out of the print washer. Seriously, a good silver print has an insanely long life span. I think we obsess a bit too much on what is archival (I plead guilty) but given the wide variety of photographers and processes represented here I think there is probably much more latitude in the silver printing process than we realize.

36. I really like the emboss stamp idea for prints, have been thinking about designing one for years. I am now starting to print for edition my work and I think a emboss is nice.

37. Imogen Cunningham had a beautiful emboss made to mark her posthumous prints. I'll try to grab a photo next time I'm over there.

38. Personally I wouldn't put anything on the back of the actual print since I print nearly borderless. I have been thinking about a really small stamp but haven't done it yet. I do sign the prints along a rear edge with a pencil and typically there is some exposure info in pencil too. I don't dry mount prints either. I put a label on the back of the matt identifying the print, neg, edition..... I usually sign the matt and sometimes put the title as well, but it is very light with a hard pencil. That is about it.

If you print with a lot of space around the image then an emboss would be nice. I would do that, but I never have the space for it. I've thought about embossing the rear matt, but matts get changed quite often. That is why I don't drymount....

One suggestion I'd make is if you plan on using a stamp have a designer do it. You will get something a lot better than you can do yourself. Just a little tip. Little things like that matter sometimes.

39. Wynn Bullock Print Stamp
    IMG_4851.jpg

40. Vivian Maier Print Stamp
    Vivian Maier.jpg

41. I've been using this ink stamp on a back corner of the museum board on dry-mounted prints. I'm going to redesign this in the near future.

[​IMG]

Thomas

42. August Sander archive stamp
    Sander-August-304.jpg

43. here is mine(lat page of the pdf).