Phochron XA shutter speed tester

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by adelorenzo, May 2, 2017.

1. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I was a Kickstarter backer and my Phochron XA shutter speed tester arrived last week. I found it really easy to use and seems like an all around great tool for those of us who shoot old film cameras. (NB: I have no affiliation with this product)

It was a bit of an eye opener testing some of my shutters. knew that my Nikkor-W 135mm was having shutter issues but I really didn't know how bad it was until I tested them. Basically none of the speeds are reliable. I also found out that my Mamiya C330 80mm lens is consistently a stop slow. Both of those shutters are now on their way to get serviced.

Fortunately the rest of my Copal large format shutters checked out.

2. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I agree! Hours of 'that's really out!' fun...

Very easy & intuitive to use

Marc!

3. bergytone

bergytone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, guys... as the creator, I found the project to be very frustrating, exciting, time consuming, rewarding, and educational all at the same time. I am now working hard to build the 30 extra I had included when I launched the Kickstarter reward build. I have a waiting list already wanting more than that. So I've got to start working on the next production run.
    I did start a facebook group for those that would like to post photos of their setup and discuss use of the tester. I'd love to hear more of your experiences with it.

4. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi bergytone, I just sent off an email to you, hope you will have some to sell soon.

Mike

5. bergytone

bergytone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Mike,
    I am working toward getting some production units built. I built an extra 30 during the Kicstarter run, but I have a waiting list that is that big already. So now I'm planning the next build. Keep in mind that this is not my full time job, so there's only a certain amount of free hours in the week to do this. Thanks for your interest. and I'll definitely be contacting you.
    Eric

6. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So is there a price on these?

- Leigh

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    on Eric's site:

119$/139$ (without/with external sensor)

8. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds good Eric, please give us a call when you are ready.

9. hollowman

hollowman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    agreed this looks great. I would like one when there is supply

10. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What light source do you use?

Could you post a mechanical drawing of the sensor configuration?

- Leigh

11. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    See here: upload_2017-5-5_8-56-33.png

12. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks good. Thanks.

- Leigh

13. beakhammer

beakhammer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am very pleased with my Phochron XA.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I allso bought one, and it works fine. Tested 2 TLR Rollie's and my 50mm, 80mm Hasselblad lens mounted on camera, but could not measure the 150mm lens while mounted on body with the optional light source , will try a more brighter light source later this week. Fairly easy to use, meter gives 2 readings one in fractions and one in decimal. With the op. light probe it is important to line it up to the lens axis, it has a function to do this properly in the test shutter menu. My 150mm just sets further away than the 80mm, so a stronger light source is needed, I,m thinking a flashlight will do. . All in all I think it is nice little unit and built well.

Mike

16. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Add in another positive review from me. Great tool to have.

17. bergytone

bergytone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm glad all of you are having success with my tester. If any of you are facebook users, I have a facebook group set up to share your set up photos and tips on using the meter. Just search for "Phochron XA" in the search window. I am starting my next production run of these now, and I hope to market them through amazon and possibly through distribution. Mike C, I received an email from another user (Carl B of Canada) regarding his testing of a Hasselblad :

"Last night I tested a 150mm hasselblad lens using your tester. The end result it worked perfectly. I actually tested two 150mm lens to see the variation and to see if they were close to one another. Here is how I completed the process.

150mm lens attached to the hasselblad body. Set the aperture to widest, as in my lens it was F4. Remove the film back. Set up the tester to be aligned to the front of the lens. Note, the light that comes with the sensor is not strong enough, so I used a pocket sized led flash light. Place the flashlight behind the rear baffle/blind about one inch distance from the baffle. Do not touch the baffle as they are easily damaged.Cock the camera, set the shutter speed, flash light on, release the shutter. You will see a nice square wave form on the tester screen.

VERY IMPORTANT. WHEN TESTING THE SLOWER SHUTTER SPEEDS, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO RELEASE THE SHUTTER BUTTON TOO EARLY AS THE BLIND CAN CLOSE BEFORE THE SHUTTER HAS COMPLETED ITS TIMER. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME DURING THE HALF SECOND SHUTTER SPEED TEST. I RELEASED THE SHUTTER BUTTON EARLY.ENSURE YOU DO NOT RELEASE THE SHUTTER BUTTON TOO EARLY ON THE SLOW SPEED SETTING AND YOU WILL GET ACCURATE MEASUREMENTS.
    The test results were very consistent and repeatable for each shutter speed."

Note that he tested the Hassy with the light source in the rear. What ever you do, never put anything into the body. The blind can come down and be damaged.
    Thanks again for your support, all of my feedback so far has been positive, except for some feedback on the US postal service!

18. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the reply bergytone,I thought that a regular flash light would word but have not got around to using one yet.I have been using the sensor at the back of the camera and seems to works well for me, at any rate it is a good tool.

19. M Carter

M Carter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've found a great way to test older shutters, up to 1/125th-ish anyway. My video camera does 120fps. I shoot a few actuations, open the video file, and count the frames and do the math. These days, many cameras have slow motion video. I dialed in my toy cameras (Hawkeye, etc) and an Isolette III that I brought back from the dead.

Particularly for the Isolette, knowing the true speeds (handily, everything is about 1/2 the speed stated) has been cool. I had no idea an Isolette with an Apotar lens could give such a punchy neg.

20. pchaps

pchaps Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Will it test 1/500 sec. accurately? I want to get one for my LF Copal shutters!

21. TenSpeed

TenSpeed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    are these available for purchase?

22. OP
    OP
    adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  23. paul ron

paul ron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    nice tool bergy.

24. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am having problem testing the shutter speed of cameras in automatic mode like the EM. You would need a light source that simulate the correct brightness to get the camera to set at the correct shutter speed and the tester must work with that level of light.

25. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is not a matter of sensor location (as you referered to a respective photo), but of light source. Actually such is a different kind of tester.
    A shutter speed tester in the proper meaning only tests the shutter, not a exposure automatic.

26. mferrarini

mferrarini Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone tried to purchase one of these recently? I'm not getting a response to my emails or phone message.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.