Members
Latest member
jrhii
Recent bookmarks

KerrKid

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I just bought a Pentax SV with a 55mm f1.8 lens off of fleabay. My first all mechanical camera. It looks in decent shape, but I won’t know for sure until it gets here. I’ll probably send it straight on to Eric H. for a CLA.

Am I going to like it?

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I bought one in mint condition with its meter about 18 months ago for £10 (less than $12). I've always been a Pentax fan and had a Spotmatic F for my 21st birthday, rather a long time ago . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I used the Spotmatic F and a couple of S1a's professionally for quite a while, then sold them to go Pentax bayonet, with a pair of Chinons a CE4 and CE4S, long story. I needed faster lens changes as I shot rock concerts most weekends.

In 2003 I went back to a Spotmatic F, but I was also used to shooting S1a's and so the SV is just feels perfect.

Ian

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I just bought a Pentax SV with a 55mm f1.8 lens off of fleabay. My first all mechanical camera. It looks in decent shape, but I won’t know for sure until it gets here. I’ll probably send it straight on to Eric H. for a CLA.

Am I going to like it?

Enjoy it!

logan2z

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Those are beautiful cameras. I have a couple of KXs that I've been enjoying. I also sent them for CLA to Eric Hendrickson and he did a very nice job.

Enjoy!

OP
OP

KerrKid

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I bought one in mint condition with its meter about 18 months ago for £10 (less than $12). I've always been a Pentax fan and had a Spotmatic F for my 21st birthday, rather a long time ago . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I used the Spotmatic F and a couple of S1a's professionally for quite a while, then sold them to go Pentax bayonet, with a pair of Chinons a CE4 and CE4S, long story. I needed faster lens changes as I shot rock concerts most weekends.

In 2003 I went back to a Spotmatic F, but I was also used to shooting S1a's and so the SV is just feels perfect.

Ian

You got a better deal than I did. I won the bid at $23. No meter. Looks like a few scratches and scuffs on the body. The lens looked perfect in the pix. Glad you liked yours.

OP
OP

KerrKid

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Those are beautiful cameras. I have a couple of KXs that I've been enjoying. I also sent them for CLA to Eric Hendrickson and he did a very nice job.

Enjoy!

I have a KM but haven’t used it much. I’m hoping I bond with the SV. It’s supposed to be smaller. Yeh, I heard Eric does good work and his prices are fair.

Last edited:
Shooter
Multi Format
Pretty sure you'll like it. It is smaller than the KM, feeling solid and lightweight at the same time. Perhaps the smoothest winding camera I have. My camera has been modified to accommodate the SMC 50mm f1.4, which came with it, the later versions of the SV with an orange "R" on the rewind accept the f1.4 from the factory.

An unusual feature is the T setting, which can be used by turning the shutter dial counterclockwise past the 1000 setting. Press the shutter to open, then turn to B to close. Continue counterclockwise if you want to use T again.

film_man

Shooter
Multi Format
Ha. I may not. I never know. One thing I do know, though. I won’t be buying batteries for it.

Yup, I always found the cost and inconvenience of carrying an extra batery just too much vs buying and lugging around 20 rolls of film!

OP
OP

KerrKid

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Yup, I always found the cost and inconvenience of carrying an extra batery just too much vs buying and lugging around 20 rolls of film!

I should have thought about that before converting my cameras to run off car batteries.

OP
OP

KerrKid

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Pentax SV Small.png

I got the camera today. Cosmetically, it's a 7.5-8/10. The 55 f1.8 lens, on the other hand, looks brand new and has a Pentax UV filter on it. The Mirror is stuck in the up position and the rewind button is, too. Simple to fix I understand, but no matter, I'm going to send it to Eric H for a CLA anyway.

The camera came in it's original black Asahi Pentax camera case which is in extremely good condition. Plus a thin black leather strap was included.

I think the camera was well worth the $23 paid for it. It's not going to be a shelf queen so I don't care that it's not pristine looking.

The reviews had me believe it was small...I don't think so. The body may not be as tall as a K-series or my SRT's, but it's as wide and thick. Plus it's no lightweight. Just sayin'.

Sure is a looker.

Austintatious

Shooter
Multi Format
They are close in form factor to the Spotmatic. In 2016 Eric did a CLA on mine which included the stuck mirror issue you have. Cost me $95.00.
Spotmatic came back like new. Picked up about a dozen M42 lenses of which four are Super Takumars which is some really nice glass.
Your SV looks very nice, Enjoy :D

OP
OP

KerrKid

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
They are close in form factor to the Spotmatic. In 2016 Eric did a CLA on mine which included the stuck mirror issue you have. Cost me $95.00.
Spotmatic came back like new. Picked up about a dozen M42 lenses of which four are Super Takumars which is some really nice glass.
Your SV looks very nice, Enjoy :D

Very good to hear. I figured it would cost that to get mine in shape. I could do the light seals myself unless Eric just charges a flat rate for the whole CLA.

I'd like to start getting some nice Pentax glass now. All I have is the 55, but I wouldn't mind the 50 f1.4 and the 35 f2. What lenses do you have and what would you suggest?

BTW...I'm not sure if I've said before, but you don't live that far from me.

250swb

Shooter
Multi Format
The Mirror is stuck in the up position and the rewind button is, too. Simple to fix I understand, but no matter, I'm going to send it to Eric H for a CLA anyway.

Last week I got a Spotmatic F on eBay and it arrived with a stuck mirror and inconsistent slow shutter speeds. It was sold by a big camera shop as 'fully working' so I started the refund procedure and got a message that they didn't want it back, I guess figuring they'd have to get it serviced and they saved on the postage as well. It turned out to be a great deal because the lens, a mint 28mm SMC f/3.5, was worth more than the camera body anyway. So after looking at it for a few days, shaking it every now and again and thinking it might free up I eventually looked on YouTube and wow, there are lots of videos on how to fix the stuck mirror! And it's a very simple job because you get at everything from under the baseplate, just three screws. One video even mentioned that fixing the stuck mirror also fixes the slow shutter speeds without further delving into the camera, and it worked!

After forty years this is my first Pentax Spotmatic. I've mostly been a Nikon and Leica person, and often repairing them if they went wrong. But all my life I've been hearing how great the 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar is so thought I'd give it a go and intended to use it on my digital Leica with an adapter. But as happens when you start thinking too much I thought 'what the heck' and decided to buy a Spotmatic, the camera it was designed for. And to be honest after handling it and fixing it I now like the camera far more than I imagined I would. I've now also had the top plate off so I could push out a couple of mild dents from the inside and they are very well made under the cover, a marvel of compactness for the era. So if anybody likes a small challenge a 'stuck mirror spares or repair' Spotmatic is a nice weekend project, but I doubt you'll be as lucky as how I inherited mine though.

Last edited:

Austintatious

Shooter
Multi Format

Very good to hear. I figured it would cost that to get mine in shape. I could do the light seals myself unless Eric just charges a flat rate for the whole CLA.

I'd like to start getting some nice Pentax glass now. All I have is the 55, but I wouldn't mind the 50 f1.4 and the 35 f2. What lenses do you have and what would you suggest?

BTW...I'm not sure if I've said before, but you don't live that far from me.
The light seals are included. As for Takumars, the 55 f1.8, 50 f1.4, 35 f3.5 ( very sharp & less $$) 135mm f3.5 is nice for tele. Also the 85mm and 105mm but they is spendy. But most any M42 screw mount lens can be used. I have some Vivitar (Komini) and Yashica as well. There are some German and Soviet as also.

We lived in Austin for more than 40 years but have always loved the Rocky Mountains. We are now in Colorado Springs, but have been looking at returning to TX as our daughter and identical twin grand daughters live near Dripping Springs. The pandemic and the current economy have put a monkey wrench into that plan.

OP
OP

KerrKid

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
The light seals are included. As for Takumars, the 55 f1.8, 50 f1.4, 35 f3.5 ( very sharp & less $$) 135mm f3.5 is nice for tele. Also the 85mm and 105mm but they is spendy. But most any M42 screw mount lens can be used. I have some Vivitar (Komini) and Yashica as well. There are some German and Soviet as also.

We lived in Austin for more than 40 years but have always loved the Rocky Mountains. We are now in Colorado Springs, but have been looking at returning to TX as our daughter and identical twin grand daughters live near Dripping Springs. The pandemic and the current economy have put a monkey wrench into that plan.

Thanks for the lens info.

Ok. I remember talking to you about where you lived. Texas is getting pricey. We’ll be renting for awhile.

A friend of mine who lives in Joes, CO may move here. He came down for a visit and really liked it here.

OP
OP

KerrKid

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Last week I got a Spotmatic F on eBay and it arrived with a stuck mirror and inconsistent slow shutter speeds. It was sold by a big camera shop as 'fully working' so I started the refund procedure and got a message that they didn't want it back, I guess figuring they'd have to get it serviced and they saved on the postage as well. It turned out to be a great deal because the lens, a mint 28mm SMC f/3.5, was worth more than the camera body anyway. So after looking at it for a few days, shaking it every now and again and thinking it might free up I eventually looked on YouTube and wow, there are lots of videos on how to fix the stuck mirror! And it's a very simple job because you get at everything from under the baseplate, just three screws. One video even mentioned that fixing the stuck mirror also fixes the slow shutter speeds without further delving into the camera, and it worked!

After forty years this is my first Pentax Spotmatic. I've mostly been a Nikon and Leica person, and often repairing them if they went wrong. But all my life I've been hearing how great the 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar is so thought I'd give it a go and intended to use it on my digital Leica with an adapter. But as happens when you start thinking too much I thought 'what the heck' and decided to buy a Spotmatic, the camera it was designed for. And to be honest after handling it and fixing it I now like the camera far more than I imagined I would. I've now also had the top plate off so I could push out a couple of mild dents from the inside and they are very well made under the cover, a marvel of compactness for the era. So if anybody likes a small challenge a 'stuck mirror spares or repair' Spotmatic is a nice weekend project, but I doubt you'll be as lucky as how I inherited mine though.

Thanks for all the info! I just watched a video on fixing stuck mirrors and will attempt the repair myself. It looks very easy.

If I know me, I bet I’ll have a Spotmatic sometime in the future to go with this SV and my KM.

Shooter
DSLR
View attachment 327142
I got the camera today. Cosmetically, it's a 7.5-8/10. The 55 f1.8 lens, on the other hand, looks brand new and has a Pentax UV filter on it. The Mirror is stuck in the up position and the rewind button is, too. Simple to fix I understand, but no matter, I'm going to send it to Eric H for a CLA anyway.

The camera came in it's original black Asahi Pentax camera case which is in extremely good condition. Plus a thin black leather strap was included.

I think the camera was well worth the $23 paid for it. It's not going to be a shelf queen so I don't care that it's not pristine looking.

The reviews had me believe it was small...I don't think so. The body may not be as tall as a K-series or my SRT's, but it's as wide and thick. Plus it's no lightweight. Just sayin'.

Sure is a looker.

Very nice. Reminds me of my K1000 from when I was in Jr. High and discovered photography after we were assigned a semester to learn the fundamentals. Only full mechanical camera I have now is a Nikkomat FtN that I got in pretty good condition, not nearly as nice as your Pentax though. Enjoy it!

BMbikerider

Shooter
35mm

Am I going to like it?

Oh yes you will like it!

That was my first 'proper' 35mm SLR way back in 1965. It was so damn well balanced and a later advert for the Spotmatic had the punch line 'Just hold a Pentax' It didn't need any more it was so good and equally applied to the SV.

Not a lot of people are aware that the 'Baby Brother' of the SV, the S1a actually had one extra speed after the marked top speed of 1/500. There is another click on the speed dial after the 1/500 setting and a UK press photographer, Victor Blackman back in the middle 1960's had it checked and it seems the shutter was identical to the SV, but was not adjusted to give the 1/1000 top speed. He had his adjusted by the engineer and was as good as his SV

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom