Pentax ME - Circular translucent thingie

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by StanMac, Nov 29, 2018.

1. StanMac

StanMac Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently acquired a NOS Pentax ME in its original packaging. Included in the box was a translucent plastic circular thingie about 3/32” thick with an approximately 3/8” hole in the center. The diameter is a bit more than 49mm. I remember one of these was in the box with an ME Super I purchased for a former spouse. I couldn’t figure out its purpose then, and upon seeing this one, my curiosity was piqued again. I can’t find anything in the user manual about it so I was hoping some you Pentaxians on here could enlighten me on what this curious item is used for? It looks like it may be a diffuser of some sort but it’s too large to fit the 49mm thread of the typical M-series 50mm lens (the item isn’t threaded for screwing into anything anyways). Your advice on this thing would be appreciated.

Stan

2. mpirie

mpirie Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Baseplate protector/spacer for tripod screw......stopping the thread screw from bottoming out in the camera socket leaving the camera insecure maybe?

Mike

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Base-spacer was my first thought too.
    My Canon AE-1 came with a similar disk made from black rubber. It is mentioned in the manual as intended to yield more friction between camera base plate and tripod head when using long lenses, seemingly due to the leverage.
    To my mind it also may yield space on a large tripod head, with elastic cover, for the breech lock- and aperture-ring of the lenses, which protrude exactly to the base line of the camera.

upload_2018-11-30_10-50-34.png

I guess at least the additional friction or the scratch protection at uncovered tripod heads is the idea behind your disc.

Or of course something completely different...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    StanMac

StanMac Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I’ll be damned! After reading your responses I went back to the manual and the section about tripod mounting mentions the use of a spacer ring (packed with the camera) under the camera when using some large diameter lenses! My brain (back then and now) totally didn’t make the connection between that verbiage and the plastic disc. The manual only shows the thing edge on in the illustration. I feel really dumb now. The small size of the M-series bodies would probably require that with some lenses. Thanks guys!

Stan

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As very long lenses had been beyond my funding I just memorized that disc was for lifting up the camera due to the breech-lock ring and lens-controls. But so far I never used it, but I still got it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.