Paterson Contact Proof Printer Repair

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Fred Aspen, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Both of my Paterson contact printers (120 + 35) have split, cracked and peeled plastic grids/holders that are attached to the back of the glass with adhesive. I have now removed the old pieces and am trying to locate the replacement grids or I am open to any other suggestions that might enable me to put them back online. I sent an email to Paterson and am awaiting a reply.

I have been simply sandwiching paper, a PrintFile negative holder under the glass but registration is pretty much a hit and miss proposition and is becoming a PITA.

Thanks!

-Fred

2. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditch the grids and do the contacts with the negatives in their PrintFile page. The negatives will stay lined up, clean and protected. And, you will only need one printer.

The downside is that you will lose a slight bit of sharpness in the proof sheet, but not enough to really matter, unless you are doing contact prints. In that case you need a proper contact frame anyway.

This assumes you can get the adhesive and remains of the grids off the glass.

3. OP
    OP
    Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the input. I have already stripped and cleaned the frames so they are functional. I just spent a couple of hours in the darkroom figuring out how to keep things aligned and got some decent proofs so I think I will be taking your advice and stick with the PrintFile sleeves. You're right, there is some loss of sharpness but I am more interested in comp and tonality.

-Fred

4. youngrichard

youngrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's a bit late but when my grids separated in one or two places, I glued them back with Superglue, and that was several years ago; they are still fine.
    Alternatively the whole thing turns up on ebay frequently.
    I have also replaced the foam backing a couple of times, but it is quite hard to find a shop selling the appropriate thickness these days.
    Richard

5. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me extol the virtues of using acetone to clean the gum from the glass. It works great. Be aware, however, that the acetone will dissolve the plastic base into a dysfunctional mess, so you have to be meticulous about it. Don't just slop it on and believe it won't get everywhere if you turn your back on it. (For all I know acetone may be sentient. It sure seems to get everywhere when I turn *MY* back on it.)