Pardon my Hasselblad ignorance (simple lens question)

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by blankk, Mar 7, 2009.

1. blankk

blankk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys. I recently came across a Hasselblad-Zeiss 150mm f4 Sonnar for a very low price from a reputable seller. What I'm wondering is this...

[​IMG]

Will this lens fit my 500C/M, and is this one of those with the linked shutter/aperture values? I just wonder because it's a very low price and I'm wondering why that would be. Thanks!

2. wrench

wrench Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes and yes. I have this lens, it's pretty fabulous. Check the price on KEH as well. You might be surprised, this tends to be one of the lowest priced lenses in the Hasselblad range. I bought this lens from them for about $150 and it was pristine, so if the price is lower than that, definitely go for it. If it's about in that range, you might want to shop around.

3. OP
    OP
    blankk

blankk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Okay thanks for the response! So about the linked values: does that mean that I just set one of the two values and it sets the other for me? How well does it work in practice?

4. wrench

wrench Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    the two rings are interlocked (I'm not quite sure how). There's a tab on the lower right side of the aperture ring. To change the aperture independently of the shutter speed ring, pull the tab toward the body of the camera and rotate until the aperture/shutter speed match where you want them to, then release. Then you can rotate the two rings together and the exposure is the same. This is useful when you're shooting something and decide you want a wider aperture or slower shutter speed etc, you just turn the two rings together without even thinking about compensating to keep the same EV. It's pretty simple in practice, just a bit cumbersome to describe. I hope I was clear though.
    Another great thing about the C series lenses is that they have a built in self-timer that's lacking on the CF and later versions.

5. OP
    OP
    blankk

blankk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks a lot for the info buddy! I guess I'll go for it. Glad I checked KEH too, found a good deal there. Thanks!

6. edtbjon

edtbjon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The barrel looks in pretty good nick, i.e. there's really no marks on it. Let's hope the rest of the lens is in the same good shape.
    The shutters of the older Hasselblad lenses (the Syncro-Compur shutters) are a bit prone on getting sluggish, so see to that you exercise the shutter once per month or so and use all the time settings a couple of times.

This is the second most common Hasselblad lens. (First is the 80mm Planar.) One camera-shop in Stockholm, Sweden refered these lenses to "ten-pin bowling pins which we use for a game after work", i.e. pretty common lenses.
    On the other hand, the optical lens construction (and performance) is the same as the current model, apart from the T* multi-coating. Just see to that you use a good lens shade and you can produce some stunning shots.

//Björn

7. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I second the careful use of a lens shade on this lens. It's a great piece of glass.

8. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd like to add to this that the proposition to use a lens hood or shade is not something that should need proposing, but should be done as a matter of course.
    And that you do that with all lenses.
    :wink:

9. edtbjon

edtbjon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just to clarify, all Hasselblad lenses are coated. But along with the introduction of the black lens barrels C.Zeiss started to use the T* multicoating, which without any doubts is better than the previous coating method. (There are some exceptions to the "all" Hasselblad lenses ..., e.g. the 250mm SuperAcromat which uses some special kind of glass. That lens also takes a very special thick kind of wallet to be bought. :smile:)

//Björn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.