Paper Developer + bag = not so good...

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by JohnRichard, Feb 10, 2009.

1. JohnRichard

JohnRichard Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So, I just thought I would share a little error I had today. I was messing around with my pinhole camera, trying to make some photos on Ilford 8x10 paper. All was going well until I decided to develop my shots... well, that was until I remembered my devleloping trays were in storage since I just moved.

So I decided I would use some plastic trays I had lying around. One of them had a crack in the bottom and a garbage bag sounded like a great idea to line the bin with.

After two tries, I have decided that Paper devloper + garbage bag = bad.
    It seems that the devloper reacted poorly with the Heafty Garbage bag and now my shots are all weird and yellow. It looks really neat, but its not at all what I wanted. Also I discovered that the Kodak stop bath didn't eat through the bag but the developer did! Just thought I would let you all know, in case you get the same ideas!

JRY

2. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Weird - I would have bet on the stop bath eating the trash bag. On the other hand, perhaps you've discovered a way to keep trash bags out of our landfills !!!!!.........kidding!!

3. Stock Dektol

Stock Dektol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Garbage bags usually have a powder in them similar to latex gloves. That is probably what made the reaction giving you "toned" prints.

4. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think those of us into 'alternate' photo methods need to explore this!

5. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like you might have "bio-degradable" trash bags. Regular polyethylene bags aren't affected by photo chemicals. Or, there were bio-degradable bags or other "stuff" in the recycled plastic those bags were made from.

6. OP
    OP
    JohnRichard

JohnRichard Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well, as far as I know, They are Glad large trash bags, with the quick tie option. Also, it was sort of old developer, had been in storage for about a month so...
    I don't know if they are bio-degradable or not, but im sure someone can find out.

7. gainer

gainer Subscriber

Next time fill the crack with silicone sealer from a hardware or auto parts store.

8. Lowell Huff

Lowell Huff Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    using SERAN WRAP as a liner might be a better idea

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.