Paper Developer + bag = not so good...

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by JohnRichard, Feb 10, 2009.

1. JohnRichard

JohnRichard Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So, I just thought I would share a little error I had today. I was messing around with my pinhole camera, trying to make some photos on Ilford 8x10 paper. All was going well until I decided to develop my shots... well, that was until I remembered my devleloping trays were in storage since I just moved.

So I decided I would use some plastic trays I had lying around. One of them had a crack in the bottom and a garbage bag sounded like a great idea to line the bin with.

After two tries, I have decided that Paper devloper + garbage bag = bad.
    It seems that the devloper reacted poorly with the Heafty Garbage bag and now my shots are all weird and yellow. It looks really neat, but its not at all what I wanted. Also I discovered that the Kodak stop bath didn't eat through the bag but the developer did! Just thought I would let you all know, in case you get the same ideas!

JRY

2. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Weird - I would have bet on the stop bath eating the trash bag. On the other hand, perhaps you've discovered a way to keep trash bags out of our landfills !!!!!.........kidding!!

3. Stock Dektol

Stock Dektol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Garbage bags usually have a powder in them similar to latex gloves. That is probably what made the reaction giving you "toned" prints.

4. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think those of us into 'alternate' photo methods need to explore this!

5. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like you might have "bio-degradable" trash bags. Regular polyethylene bags aren't affected by photo chemicals. Or, there were bio-degradable bags or other "stuff" in the recycled plastic those bags were made from.

6. OP
    OP
    JohnRichard

JohnRichard Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well, as far as I know, They are Glad large trash bags, with the quick tie option. Also, it was sort of old developer, had been in storage for about a month so...
    I don't know if they are bio-degradable or not, but im sure someone can find out.

7. gainer

gainer Subscriber

Next time fill the crack with silicone sealer from a hardware or auto parts store.

8. Lowell Huff

Lowell Huff Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    using SERAN WRAP as a liner might be a better idea