Painting a lens

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by EdColorado, Feb 9, 2009.

1. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a spare 127mm Mamiya Sekor C lens for my RB67 that needs work. The painted coating on the outside of the rear element is flaking off inside the barrel and as this is a spare lens, and even in good shape they sell for peanuts, I'm thinking its a good candidate for my first lens dis assembly/repair procedure. I need to order or make some lens wrenches I guess but what about the paint? What can I use? Those of you who may have opened the back side of one of these lenses is there anything to be aware of? I wont need to tinker with the shutter, just remove, clean, and repaint the rear element.

Thanks,

Ed

2. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak used to supply a matte black lacquer. I would recommend something similar as it dries fast and can be removed easily. I have repaired items using a brush and just spraying aerosol lacquer in to a container. I would suggest avoiding enamels which would be more difficult to remove due to oil in them which polymerizes.

3. OP
    OP
    EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking at the lens again its a non C version, which means its not coated. Any problem with using tape of some sort to mask the surface of the lens so I can spray it, or is a brush better?

Thanks for the info Richard,

Ed

4. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ed, ALL lenses made during the lifespan of your camera were coated. There may be a difference between multi-coated, and single-coated, but your lens is coated.

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just use Tamiya gloss black. Spray can from the hobby emporium.
    Brushing lacquer or enamel leaves brush marks(no surprise).
    Never had a problem using masking tape to cover the surfaces but blue painters tape is safer.
    The paint needs to be applied in very light coats and I back the spray can off & just mist it on. Usually takes three or four coats to get it covered. Never had flaking problems with it but anything on the edge of the glass is delicate & will scratch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.