Over-development on one side of the 35mm negatives, why?

Down the Cowgate

H
Down the Cowgate

The Mound

H
The Mound

Yesterdays Disguise

A
Yesterdays Disguise

Lake Country Corp.

A
Lake Country Corp.

Redwood

A
Redwood

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
backseatpilot
Recent bookmarks

newtorf

Shooter
35mm RF
6900677779_eb911aace9_z.jpg 6900677585_c028fa2f69_z.jpg Hi films gurus,

I ran into a problem of development and would like to know your opinion. I often got negatives (35mm) with the edge on one side appearing to be over-developed - meaning brighter and often blocked highlight. I diluted 15ml HC-110 syrup into H dilution and developed 4 rolls of 35mm films in a stainless steel tank. Temperature was 20 C, and development time was based on recommended time. I did 30 seconds initial inversions, followed by 2 inversions per 2 minutes.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Last edited by a moderator:

kintatsu

Shooter
4x5 Format
If it was uniform across all the shots on a roll, it's likely there wasn't enough chemicals to fully fill the tank. It's happened to me.

If it's random on the shots, and you were using a flash, it's likely the shutter speed was too fast for the flash, leaving a dark band at the bottom or top of the frame, matching the shutter travel. If your exposure with the flash was too much, that would explain the blocked highlights, and the thin half-ish of the frame. According the manual, the sync speed for the M4 is 1/50 for electronic flash. Any faster than that, and you'll get dark bands, for that sync speed, I would imagine 1/125 or faster would eat up slightly more than half the frame with the dark banding.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

newtorf

Shooter
35mm RF
no flash is used.

the brightness appears more in the middle of the frame on the edge.

If it was uniform across all the shots on a roll, it's likely there wasn't enough chemicals to fully fill the tank. It's happened to me.

If it's random on the shots, and you were using a flash, it's likely the shutter speed was too fast for the flash, leaving a dark band at the bottom or top of the frame, matching the shutter travel. If your exposure with the flash was too much, that would explain the blocked highlights, and the thin half-ish of the frame. According the manual, the sync speed for the M4 is 1/50 for electronic flash. Any faster than that, and you'll get dark bands, for that sync speed, I would imagine 1/125 or faster would eat up slightly more than half the frame with the dark banding.

Attachments

• s_Scan-131208-0011.jpg
    s_Scan-131208-0011.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 77

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
View attachment 78518 View attachment 78519
I ran into a problem of development and would like to know your opinion. I often got negatives (35mm) with the edge on one side appearing to be over-developed -

Thanks,
Jimmy

You ran into a problem. Can we take it that there was a period when this problem didn't exist? If so has anything changed? You say "often" Can you think of what may have been different in those circumstances? I don't think that your processing regime in terms of times, agitation etc has anything to do with the problem. I had difficulty seeing the problem with the first of the two scans you have shown.

What I think you can conclude is that the problem isn't random, nor an "Act of God" as they say in the get-out clauses of an insurance policy. There is a correlation between what you do or what the camera does at the camera stage or what you do at the processing stage but to get to what that might be may require more answers.

pentaxuser

erikg

Shooter
Multi Format
The shutter travels horizontally on an M4, any shutter bounce or capping issue would show on the short side of the image. Is this on every roll? I'd look at agitation and how long it takes to fill the tank, is the tank getting filled quickly and without interruption?

bdial

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
This is affecting only one of the four rolls, or all of them? If just one, do you know if it was on the bottom, top or in the middle?
When you mix the developer do you thoroughly stir it before putting it the tank?
Finally, are you pouring in through the lid, or pre-filling the tank? For doing four rolls, the pour time may be excessive and it may work better to pre-fill the tank then drop the reels in in the dark.

OP
OP

newtorf

Shooter
35mm RF
This did not happen on all rolls. I always filled the tank quickly without any interruption. And if it was caused by filling, why would the edge show over-developed? I thought it should be under-developed for the reel on the top because it is the last to be soaped and it is possible that the developer did not soap it entirely.

The shutter travels horizontally on an M4, any shutter bounce or capping issue would show on the short side of the image. Is this on every roll? I'd look at agitation and how long it takes to fill the tank, is the tank getting filled quickly and without interruption?

OP
OP

newtorf

Shooter
35mm RF
I am not sure whether it is only one roll or more than one rolls. I looked back and realized that it started to happen long time ago when I was using a two-roll stainless steel tank. I have no idea now whether the roll is on top or bottom. But as I pointed out in another reply, it should only cause under-development instead of over-development.

HC-110 is liquid concentration. I always mixed it and stir thoroughly.

I never did pre-filling.

This is affecting only one of the four rolls, or all of them? If just one, do you know if it was on the bottom, top or in the middle?
When you mix the developer do you thoroughly stir it before putting it the tank?
Finally, are you pouring in through the lid, or pre-filling the tank? For doing four rolls, the pour time may be excessive and it may work better to pre-fill the tank then drop the reels in in the dark.

Mark Fisher

Shooter
Medium Format
Looking at the climbing gym photo, it looks like it may be a light leak. I would guess that it is in the tank looking at the horizontal basketball hoop shot......it it were in the camera, it would need to be toward the top of the camera which doesn't seem likely on a Leica.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Can you show us the strips of negatives themselves?

Xmas

Shooter
35mm RF
the negative strip is what we need to see but if the problem is on either short edge and is limited to the normal frame it is most probably the shutter.
the repair person needs to see a negative strip
You may snap a ribbon if it is a shutter problem and you don't have it serviced a repair at greater expense.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom