Threads
Members
Latest member
masterjbates
Recent bookmarks

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
You did not miss anything. Next that photo from the 80's is just the advice to set ones alarmclocks at 5PM.

Agulliver

Shooter
Multi Format
I note that Orwo's social media is suggesting we set our alarms for 5pm today.....no idea which time zone!

The colourful nature of the photo accompanying this suggestion, leads me to suspect they will announce a colour film.

flavio81

Shooter
Medium Format
Let's hope the people at the Original Wolfen HQ doesn't forget the color film at 5PM...

As my favorite rock singer (female) said...
Du hast den farbfilm vergessen

Last edited:

flavio81

Shooter
Medium Format
I note that Orwo's social media is suggesting we set our alarms for 5pm today.....no idea which time zone!

The colourful nature of the photo accompanying this suggestion, leads me to suspect they will announce a colour film.

In 20 minutes it will be 5PM in Berlin

brbo

Shooter
Multi Format
WOLFEN NC500 is a limited edition 500 ASA, 36 exposure, colour photographic film. This is the first brand new colour photographic film that we have launched in decades, proudly still produced in Bitterfeld-Wolfen on the original site where film manufacture has been a tradition since 1910.

At the core of our new colour film lies a unique chemical formula based on the wonderful and legendary Agfa stock last used in the Oscar winning film ‘Out of Africa’. Famous for their greens, desaturated shadows and enhanced grains, these are all aspects that we are embracing for our new addition. With WOLFEN NC500, we are not trying to imitate current stocks available on the market, we are creating an alternative, something with different characteristics and a different palette.

Pre-orders will launch on Wednesday 1st June on our new online store, orwo.shop, with shipping expected to begin in July.

Be sure to follow us on social media and sign up on our website to stay connected with all the latest updates.

Welcome to the analogue revolution.

source: Instagram

faberryman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I guess we'll have to wait until the online shop opens on June 1st to see when the film will be available and what it will cost. Their new black and white film is not exactly cheap.

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm

• a new C41 film, we are excited to finally release the brand new addition to our photo line-up…

WOLFEN NC500 is a limited edition 500 ASA, 36 exposure, colour photographic film. This is the first brand new colour photographic film that we have launched in decades, proudly still produced in Bitterfeld-Wolfen on the original site where film manufacture has been a tradition since 1910.

At the core of our new colour film lies a unique chemical formula based on the wonderful and legendary Agfa stock last used in the Oscar winning film ‘Out of Africa’. Famous for their greens, desaturated shadows and enhanced grains, these are all aspects that we are embracing for our new addition. With WOLFEN NC500, we are not trying to imitate current stocks available on the market, we are creating an alternative, something with different characteristics and a different palette.

#ORWOFilm #WOLFENNC500
      44 m

• AgX
  • Deleted

npl

Shooter
35mm
Today on their instagram account :

Screenshot_20220527-185241~2.png

There's some bad pictures with the post (grainy, underexposed, color cast..) don't know what they are thinking. Anyway, new fast C41 color film.

• AgX
  • Deleted

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
"proudly still produced in Bitterfeld-Wolfen on the original site"

This either means,

-) they miraculously got a production coating machine

-) they use their lab coater

Strangely so far they announced an ECN-2 cine film. And were hailed for this, in spite of doubts on economic feasibility by me.

Then suddenly a C-41 film emerges...

Yes, I should be glad for a new source of colour film of whatever kind. But somehow I am more puzzled by circumstances. Times are making one strange...

Now let's see what this new product means for their endangered future and their way out of their insolvency.

Last edited:

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
So this a brand new film but is based on legendary Agfa stock. What the specific connection with Agfa stock? Has it got some Agfa stock that it has modified in some way or is this brand new film on which it has been working for months/years and the reference to Agfa Stock is that ORWO liked the look of this Agfa stock used in the film "Out of Africa such that it decided to incorporate the Agfa look ?

Once again why a limited edition if it has gone to the time, trouble and expense of producing a new film?

The announcement's text is all very puzzling to me and asks as many questions as it produced answers

I have seen Out of Africa on the TV and the colours were fine but I can't recall thinking that they looked that much different from other films based on Kodak

It gives me the feeling that the announcement is in line with all the other "new film " announcements which were nothing to do with the word " new " as I understand the word

Great if it is an addition to the limited production of colour film whatever the origins and truth but why not tell the truth ?

Is it 1984 yet??

pentaxuser

flavio81

Shooter
Medium Format
"limited edition"... sounds like "we found some old stock, we tested it, it is good so we now are converting it and selling it".

flavio81

Shooter
Medium Format
@MattKing perhaps we can merge threads? This one with this:

Also this thread is starting to be derailed to the color news announcement (my fault too)

flavio81

Shooter
Medium Format
(So this a brand new film but is based on legendary Agfa stock. What the specific connection with Agfa stock?

This has been explained before, but it seems OrWo has a partnership with people of what was called "inoviscoat", which is formed by former Agfa engineers and machinery.

And, of course, OrWo used to be Agfa Wolfen... used to be the ORiginal WOlfen plant.

Once again why a limited edition if it has gone to the time, trouble and expense of producing a new film?

I have the same question...

It gives me the feeling that the announcement is in line with all the other "new film " announcements which were nothing to do with the word " new " as I understand the word

Great if it is an addition to the limited production of colour film whatever the origins and truth but why not tell the truth ?

Is it 1984 yet??

It is great news if the film was freshly produced, no matter if it's a limited edition or not. This means we're not limited to Kodak and "Fuji". No more duopoly.

What's very strange is that they mention a cinema (movie, ecn2) film yet the release is of a C41 film. Perhaps it is the very same ECN2 film but without the remjet.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
The Lounge is not a good place to discuss the emergence of new colour film. More so by allegedly a new player in the colour field. For this the topic is too important.

flavio81

Shooter
Medium Format
The Lounge is not a good place to discuss the emergence of new colour film. More so by allegedly a new player in the colour field. For this the topic is too important.

Oops, you are correct.

flavio81

Shooter
Medium Format
Strangely so far they announced an ECN-2 cine film. And were hailed for this, in spite of doubts on economic feasibility by me.

Then suddenly a C-41 film emerges...

Yes... to me it is really clear...

They apparently have manufactured a new batch of the old Agfa movie film. Which film?

Since "out of africa" is mentioned, it's probably XT320. From a film forum:

"But David Watkin, who liked 5293 and used it on "Yentyl", disliked 5294 enough that after using it on a feature or two, he went back to using the old 100 ASA Kodak stock 5247. Then as he was prepping "Out of Africa" in 1984, Agfa came out with XT320, which was the first stock to use a form of tabular grain (T-Grain) in one of its layers. What Watkin liked about Agfa was that it overexposed well, handling bright areas, and he planned on doing a lot of overexposure on "Out of Africa" to hold shadow detail in the harsh sunlight."

My bet, if this is newly-made film, is that it's Agfa XT320, an ECN-2 film. That when used in C41 process, would yield an effective speed of about 500 (2/3 stop). Just as 500-speed cine film is marketed by CineStill as 800-speed still film.

And they probably are making it without remject, so they spool it into 35mm 36-exp canisters.

I bet they will announce a "new" 320-speed movie (ECN2) film.. sooner or later. You read it here first, folks!!

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Interesting theory about making non-remjet ECN-2 film and offering it as C-41 film.

Which would mean that the analog path is left and this film being aimed as being a still film for scanning and maybe still bearing shortcomings (based on your theory).
It seems we have to wait for true samples for testing to emerge.

flavio81

Shooter
Medium Format
Interesting theory about making non-remjet ECN-2 film and offering it as C-41 film.

Which would mean that the analog path is left and this film being aimed as being a still film for scanning and maybe still bearing shortcomings (based on your theory).
It seems we have to wait for true samples for testing to emerge.

But it ticks all boxes correct...

They are saying "based on (movie film)". When you research the movie film, it is iso 320.

Which they now sell as ISO 500. 2/3 stop. The typical gain of cross-processing an ECN2 film on C41 film.

Only the nerds like us know that CineStill 800T is actually Vision 500T, an ECN2 film. For the rest of the people this is 800-speed C41 film.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom