Omega D6 with Ilfospeed Multigrade 400 HL

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by MattKing, Mar 6, 2009.

1. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know it is crazy, given my space constraints, but I'm looking at a used enlarger with the following description:

Beautiful Enlarger.
    D-6 OMEGA
    Ilfospeed Multigrade 400 HL
    35mm to 4x5 negs
    Rodenstock Rodagon Lenses
    Negative carriers and lots of other great stuff.

It's quoted at $500.00 CDN, and I think the vendor may be flexible. She has a website with some good looking wedding work on it, so I think she knows what she is doing. I've already confirmed that the controller/timer is included, and that the entire unit is in full working order.

I don't ever see myself shooting 4x5, but 6x9 is a definite possibility, as is 6x12.

My question is - is this worth pursuing? I know that the 400 HL has less range than the more modern 500 HL, but I can work with that.

Your thoughts?

Matt

2. rmann

rmann Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have used both the 400 and the 500 units - I doubt you will notice a difference. But they are different in noise levels - the 400 does not use a fan for cooling - the 500's fan will run for about a minute after each exposure. The 400 head is all metal and larger than the 500 which has some plastic and is lighter.

The control unit is the most important part of the system, be sure to confirm that it is not only working, but that all of its indicator lights are working too. The 400's push button switches are back lighted so you can find them easily.

Seems like a reasonable price for what is in the package - I would go for it - especially if I could see it before purchasing.

3. Dave Swinnard

Dave Swinnard Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt, if the original condenser head comes with it, I can let you have a Zone VI cold head, with the contactor unit, to fit it. I'm not using it anymore since I got my Durst. I also have a new Chromega Dichro II colour head that I'm not using too. (If it fits the D6...I think so, but no first-hand knowledge)

What about a Zone VI dry-down timer? I seem to have acquired one of these as well that I'm not likely to use.

Dave

4. OP
    OP
    MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Dave and rmann.

I'm going to try to view it, to see what else is included.

Apparently it was bought used from the University of Toronto, and then used for a time by the current owner, so I would be surprised if there is another head for it.

Matt

5. OP
    OP
    MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It followed me home

Well, it's now mine :smile:.

It is in remarkably good shape, and seems to be the most recent/final version of the D6 (if I can follow the Omega enlarger information on KHB's webite correctly).

There is a decent selection of negative carriers with it - 4x5 glassless, 4x5 glass, 6x7 and two home-made 35mm carriers. It also has a masking accessory that may be included with all these Omega enlargers

The lenses are an apparently matched set of Rodenstock Rodagons - 50mm, 105mm, 150mm, all with an f/5.6 maximum aperture, and they look pristine.

The Ilfospeed Multigrade 400 head and controller seem to work well, and they came with the full set of mixing chambers.

There is a condenser head with it as well, with the zoom condenser set, and it looks to me like it might be brand new and unused.

The woman I purchased it from was happy to include with it her easels (a 14x17 4 blade Saunders and a 20x24 2 blade), chemistry, measuring graduates, trays, tongs and her remaining paper. Her need to sell came from a pending marriage, and a new, smaller, renovated home. She was very reasonable too about the eventual price.

It was a bit of an adventure getting it home - it is big! - but there is nothing like having a loving and supportive wife who doesn't hesitate to pitch in and help carry, and who has a PT Cruiser to boot :smile:.

I've spent a fair amount of time since getting it home cleaning and reassembling it, reading up on it, and figuring out how to make use of it as a portable enlarger (I need a cart that is both strong enough to hold it, stable, and no taller than 20 inches, so it will roll through doors).

Matt

6. photoworker

photoworker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    6x7 Neg carrier

Hi Matt,

Just read your purchase.
    I am looking for a 6x7 negative carrier for my Omega D2.
    If you have one with the package you purchased and not using it or planning to use it, I would like to buy it from you (if you are interested in selling it).
    Please email me at: photoworker@shaw.ca

Thank you,
    Andras

7. OP
    OP
    MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry Andras - I hope to get good use out of the 6x7 carrier :smile:.

If I see one anywhere, I'll try to remember to pass on the info.

Matt

8. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Good deal. I like the idea of the turret at the bottom. (no more lens boards)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2009
  9. OP
    OP
    MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Someone has been searching craigslist :smile:.

Naturally, since I have a 3 lens turret, I'd like to be able to switch between 4 lenses :smile:.

Matt

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.