Threads
Members
Latest member
adam m
Recent bookmarks

seabee1999

Shooter
Multi Format
Good day to all, this evening I was given as a gift a few cameras that my grandfather used to own at one time. There are a couple Kodak Brownies, a Hawkeye, and Instamat104 and lastly a Kodak Vigilant Six-20. The last one is in fairly good shape aside from the rails that extend the bellows and lock them have come undone. Just wondering and looking for recommendations for getting this folder back to good working order again? Thank you for your time.

V/R
Dave

thuggins

Shooter
Multi Format
Definitely post a picture. There have been many times I have wanted to "undo the rails", mainly to get to the underside (side facing the bed) of the bellows to make a repair. I've worked with a number of folders of many brands, and every one of them has had riveted struts that can be disassembled short of drilling out the rivets.

OP
OP

seabee1999

Shooter
Multi Format
Attached are the images of the slider/rails that have detached from the camera. Also, the shutter is assembly is disconnected and the camera doesn’t close all the way.

For follow on information, these are cameras that my grandfather had. My dad inherited them and my brother had them on display not being used. Here in the coming weeks, I will retire from the Navy and these cameras were a gift to me as I have a greater interest in photography than he does. The Brownies are very rough. The Hawkeye and Vigilant are in better condition and have greater potential to be restored.

Attachments

• E221F032-7D5F-4247-8180-47CF78F67504.jpeg
    E221F032-7D5F-4247-8180-47CF78F67504.jpeg
    677.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 355C720E-B50C-4DC6-885E-90368A4D8171.jpeg
    355C720E-B50C-4DC6-885E-90368A4D8171.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 2A9A57A4-4F08-44A2-9CA6-354D97461800.jpeg
    2A9A57A4-4F08-44A2-9CA6-354D97461800.jpeg
    814.8 KB · Views: 122

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
Pictures with standard camera terms:
DSC_3139.jpg DSC_3141.jpg DSC_3143.jpg
The bed is the part the front standard is riveted to.
The bed braces have been disconnected from their pivots/retainers.
Are the heads on the retainers? The braces should not come loose from the body and as they are bent outward they may have been pried off.
I don't know of anyone that will service this camera as most have retired.
I have two of these for sale, 1 is a parts body that needs a new bellows and external viewfinder. Shutter has only two speeds after a CLA.
Body #2 is a complete working camera with all shutter speeds good.

Last edited:
OP
OP

seabee1999

Shooter
Multi Format
Pictures with standard camera terms:
View attachment 210415 View attachment 210416 View attachment 210417
The bed is the part the front standard is riveted to.
The bed braces have been disconnected from their pivots/retainers.
Are the heads on the retainers? The braces should not come loose from the body and as they are bent outward they may have been pried off.
I don't know of anyone that will service this camera as most have retired.
I have two of these for sale, 1 is a parts body that needs a new bellows and external viewfinder. Shutter has only two speeds after a CLA.
Body #2 is a complete working camera with all shutter speeds good.

Many thanks for the labeled images. Sorry, as is at this moment, I am not looking to purchase any cameras. Thank you for your offer. Really, I was hoping for a camera repair recommendation. I don't have the time myself at this moment to tinker on anything with a looming Navy retirement, move across country, school, job search and the like.

R/
Dave

Pentode

Shooter
Multi Format
You might want to contact Radu at 3R Camera Repair in Flushing, Queens, New York. He seems willing to work on a lot of older cameras that other technicians don’t want to deal with.

You could also look into an Ebay seller; Certo Six, who specializes in restoring folders. His reputation is excellent and I believe he takes in repair work but you’d have to send the camera overseas. It might be worth it to get an heirloom restored.

OP
OP

seabee1999

Shooter
Multi Format
You might want to contact Radu at 3R Camera Repair in Flushing, Queens, New York. He seems willing to work on a lot of older cameras that other technicians don’t want to deal with.

You could also look into an Ebay seller; Certo Six, who specializes in restoring folders. His reputation is excellent and I believe he takes in repair work but you’d have to send the camera overseas. It might be worth it to get an heirloom restored.

Thank you for the referrals. I had already contacted Jurgen at Certo6 but he doesn’t repair Kodak cameras. I’ll try Radu this weekend.

R/
Dave

papagene

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Multi Format
I can also recommend Michael Zacks.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
You could also try Walter's Camera Repair in downtown Los Angeles. They've fixed a bunch of old stuff for me.

John51

Shooter
35mm
I don't have the time myself at this moment to tinker on anything with a looming Navy retirement, move across country, school, job search and the like.

R/
Dave

One way or another, using those cameras are going to cost you some time. If not your tinkering time, than work time to pay the extra $ needed.

Even if they were all in good working order right now, afaik, the only camera that will take film that you can buy from a regular camera store is your Brownie Hawkeye. That will take 120 on the supply side but you need a 620 spool for the take up side. (Later models need to have a small internal tab removed first.) Then you have to ask the lab to return your 620 spool and pay extra postage for that.

There are places that sell 620 film. It is respooled from 120 and of course it costs more than 120. Not that difficult to do the respooling yourself. You'll need a changing bag or a 100% dark room. Once you have the changing bag, might as well process b+w film yourself. :smile:

Some of your Brownies might take 127 film. Once again, there are places. Last price I saw was ~$18 per roll.

A problem with getting the Vigilant repaired is that the cost of the service will likely exceed the (non sentimental) value of the camera. The repair guy loses money if the value of the camera won't cover the bill should the customer not pay. Offering to pay a deposit first should ease their worries on that.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom