% of your cameras that get a decent use each year?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by rayonline_nz, Jan 25, 2018.

1. rayonline_nz

rayonline_nz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We know that some people have a lot of gear. How much cameras passes the 5 rolls a year threshold?

For me I go thru some months of inactivity then I have a period of time when I shoot off some rolls esp with b/w because I don't want the chemistry to go off.

This is the film forum so mine are the Nikon Fm2n, F100 and a RB67 and Hassie 500CM. All 4 meets that threshold eventually.

2. Tim Stapp

Tim Stapp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've shot more than that recently through my free re-sealed Ricoh XR5 (almost equaling my Speed Graphic). Thanks Jon Goodman and Gerry M!!!

3. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I most often shoot one sheet at a time, so rolls of film isn't the best measure.
    Most of my cameras got a good amount of use in 2017:

several homemade pinhole cameras got lots of use
    5x7 and 7x11 view cameras both got used a lot
    Zeiss ercona ii 6x9 folder got lots of use, dozens of rolls, which is a lot for me in any year
    F3 got some use for 35mm, I don't think it reached 5 rolls.

Some but not much use:
    FM2n and N2020 got used some, but not very much, although I just bought some more film for the N2020 and will be using it more soon.
    a few other homemade pinhole cameras were only used on WPPD.

What didn't get used:
    2 x Kodak 1a autographic jr.
    Kodak 3a series ii
    ( I only use those 1-shot, and used other cameras that make bigger negatives last year )
    2 6x9 folders that both need work... the ercona ii has sort of replaced them, but one of them is really light and small and I probably would have used it if I'd solved the light leak problem it has.

So 2017 was a good year for my cameras... most of them got used quite a bit.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    None of my cameras get any "indecent" uses:whistling:.
    But about 25% of them don't hit the threshold.
    Some, like the "glove compartment" camera, are intended as emergency backup.
    A couple are backup bodies, and it is hard to say whether they reach the threshold, because they are in some cases used interchangeably with the bodies that they are intended to serve as backup for.
    At least one has tremendous sentimental value, and there is no current film made in the size it prefers.
    And some should get passed on to others.

5. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have maybe 10 cameras excluding home made pinholes. About four of them get regular use, while a couple more still make your threshold. So ... 60-80% meet the decency threshold, or so is my guess. But a couple of my cameras are inoperable, do those count?

6. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah... 87 cameras at the moment. I use about 24 of them every year (different ones), but no single camera gets five rolls per year.

They all get exercised and tested several times through the year, regardless.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  7. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    About half get regular use. Which ones change at my whim. Of the analogue the F5 seems to get the most followed by the FM2n.

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    None of my cameras have gotten decent use recently but the Hasselblads get the most use, 35mm next and 4"x5" come in at fourth place out of three.

9. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd say three of mine pass that threshold, four if you count the square inches of my 8x10 pinhole! :whistling: After all, each sheet of film represents a roll of 120 or 35mm.

10. LeftCoastKid

LeftCoastKid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Hasselblads easily cross the threshold (I shoot at least 60-70 rolls of 120/year, generally PanF+, FP4+, and E100G), as do my Leicas (around a 125 rolls/year of Tri-X/HP5+, E100G, or E100VS in total). As for my Nikons, it depends upon the body. My F5 and F6 are used on a regular basis (several rolls ((6-8, each?)) of E100G/VS per month, depending upon the weather, and the number of festivals and public events in the GVRD); my F2s are used fairly regularly (2-4 rolls each, a month); my F3HP and F3P are probably used the least (perhaps 1-3 rolls each per month).

11. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hasselblad501c10%
    Nikon FM10%
    Nikon D800 80%

12. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    all but one got used ..**
    the only one i didnt' put tilm into
    i am currently trying to sell LOL

**few 35mm, + 1/2 frame, 120 roll backs
    sheet film +box cameras .. i have a few oddball lenses
    ( LF ) i dont' use much though thinking of selling them

13. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    About 4 out of 30. Several of my cameras are mainly display pieces. They may see about one roll of film every year or two. They all work, but a good number of them I bought just to look at. Those aren't expensive though. The display cameras range from $5-30 a piece. My main shooting cameras tend to be several hundred dollars a piece.

14. Pentode

Pentode Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I came back to shooting early last year after several years away from it. Part of the process of getting back into the swing of things was to put film through all of the cameras and make sure they were all still healthy. I made it through most of them, but none made it past the five-roll mark other than my go-to Minolta XD-11 and, maybe, my Minolta SRT-202.

I have a terrible schedule, so I can’t shoot nearly as much as I’d like to. I also have a lot of cameras that I like to keep in rotation. The result for me usually ends up being a bunch of cameras that only shoot one or two rolls a year and a few that get used more. That, to me, is preferable to shooting tons of film through just a couple of cameras and having the others languish.

I’m also trying to make better use of what little free time I have so that, hopefully, all the cameras will have more chances to go out and play.

15. BayG75

BayG75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I shoot mostly 35mm, mostly with SLRs, mostly Nikon.

I have 25 Nikon SLRs, but over half of those are back-up/parts cameras, specifically acquired to keep me shooting my favorite models for another 30 years (Lord willing and the creeks don't rise). Of the 12 that I consider 'active' cameras, I use four most often - the FE2, FA, F2, and Nikkormat FT3. They all get well over five rolls a year, with the FE2 taking up about 50% of the total. The other eight Nikons get at least one roll a year run through them, in part for maintenance purposes and in part because I do enjoy using each one.

I have 11 other working film cameras - non-Nikon SLRs, 35mm rangefinders, medium format cameras, etc. - most of which I consider more as "collectibles" than active cameras (several were inherited from family members and have sentimental value, for instance.). Only two from that group meet the five-roll threshold - a Retina IIIc and an Ikonta 521/16.

16. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The 120's get a roll or maybe 2 a year.

F3, EOS A2/E get 5 or more rolls. The rest maybe not so many.

17. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sorry, I ain't count in rolls, but in bulks. Three, four 30m bulks per year.

I have sentimental cameras. I use them then I get sentimental.
    I have special use cameras.
    And I have my cameras for regular use.

Most of the bulks are taken by couple of regular cameras. If both works it is something like 70/30.
    Total count of cameras is under ten.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.