Odd Super-XX negs

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by nickrapak, Feb 8, 2009.

1. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently found a roll of Super-XX negatives in my grandfather's house. These negatives were very bizarre. The film was normal 35mm, but it had "BH" style movie sprocket holes (outward curving sides). The film itself had normal frame numbers (1,2,3, etc), and it was a negative film. Does anyone have any clue why this was? Were all 35mm films sprocketed this way "back in the day"?

2. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you sure it was SUPER XX? XX (non - super) is still available, and it has those tight sprocket holes, because it is intended for movies. I love it for 35mm.

3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The "non-super" XX is called Double-X (Eastman 5222, if it's in 35mm format) and it definitely exists even today. I have a 400' can in my freezer that I bought last summer.

4. OP
    OP
    nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is, and that's what is odd. I would have known that if it had no frame numbers, it would have been movie film. However, all of the frames have a corresponding frame number, from 1-36.

5. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is very interesting. I thought that super xx and double x were different animals and am still inclined to think so.

I wonder if PE would know the history.

6. John Shriver

John Shriver Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Specification 412 (Sp 412) was 100 feet of 35mm film with B&H "movie camera" sprocket holes, on a flanged spool with daylight loading leaders, but without frame numbers. I have a roll of PX 412 and XX 412, unfortunately the Super-XX wasn't well sealed in the fridge it came from, and has humidity damage. It has a rather high film base + fog by now as well!

Current Sp 417 and Sp 421 are also 35mm with B&H sprockets, but I don't know if they are frame numbered. 417 is ESTAR base, 421 is cellulose acetate base.