Novar 75mm f/3,5 ????

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Soeren, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Soeren

Soeren Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I went to my photo pusher to collect a Sinar shutter and this Ikonta 531/16 just begged to get a new home. Its not the Tessar version but sports a Novar lens.
    I havn't been able to find much info on that neither on the internet nor in my Vade mecum. please tell me about it, is it a triplet? how good is it supposed to be? It seems to be a midrange lens on the highend cameras so it can't be that bad.
    Kind regards

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an Ikonta 521, with the same the Novar lens, it's a triplet and supposed to be quite reasonable. However despite the lens being in good condition & scratch free I found the images were very flat and lacking in contrast when I tested the camera last year. Hopefully you'll be luckier :D

Ian

3. Jerevan

Jerevan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I found the Novars I've used to be nice performers at f8-11, and the 531/16 I ran a few rolls thru was a really likeable little (for being medium format) camera. Your lens should be single coated and thus a bit more contrasty than the older models, but you can always get a bit more contrast at the processing or printing stages.

4. OP
    OP
    Soeren

Soeren Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Should i go hunting for a Tessar fitted camera?
    How big a difference is there between the two?
    Kind regards

5. Jerevan

Jerevan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Unless you do huge enlargements or need to shoot wide open, I'd stick with what you got. At least until July 2009. :smile:

6. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    All Novars were triplets. The biggest factor of any lens is whether it's clean and unscratched.

The Novar is a decent lens and should give you sharp results when stopped down (f/8 or smaller).

The Novar was the lower-priced alternative for Zeiss Ikon cameras. You will only find the Novar on a Zeiss Ikon camera. If you ever find the Novar on a different brand, then you will know that it's not the original lens.

I've used Novars, and they're very nice lenses with a tendency for some of them to be soft in the corners. You'll get different performance from different Novars because they were made by several companies.

7. OP
    OP
    Soeren

Soeren Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys. Ill have my first film developed ASAP :tongue:
    Kind regards

8. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's happening on that date? Is that when film will be dead?

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just taken my Novar lens apart and cleaned all the glass lens surfaces, this seems to have given the lens a touch more contrast, being pre-WWII it isn't coated but I'll give it another try this week.

I'd rather have your version Søren :D

Ian

10. Jerevan

Jerevan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    In July 2009, Soeren will suck ebay dry of all interesting cameras. :smile:

11. OP
    OP
    Soeren

Soeren Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ansver to that question is in my current signature

Unfortunately Im not good at living up to that kind of promises :tongue:
    Kind regards

12. OP
    OP
    Soeren

Soeren Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well hardly. I watched a lot of interesting stuff on the german bay but most of it went for prices way out of my range and when three of the Sinar Copal Shutters went for more than my Photo pusher asked for it there wasn't much math left to do :sad: The Avus I won seems to be in ok condition though. I was afraid the bellows would be a no go but its actually lighttight, The skopar has only a slight haze and the holders seems to all ok. only thing is Ill have to give it all a good cleanup since its covered by some black stuff, could that be coalresidues or something like that.
    Kind regards

13. OP
    OP
    Soeren

Soeren Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Im sorry Ian. Its not available, not even for 9X12 plate holders :D
    Being from the mid fifties and coated I suspect Ill get some decent results out of it
    It wouldn't make sence to fit a craplens on a topclass camera either, would it?
    Kind regards

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.