Not sure about my results with Tanol

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Edimilson, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Edimilson

Edimilson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello again!

I've just made a test with Moersch Tanol and am not sure about a few things. I tried to follow the developing instructons regarding time and temperature. Problem is: the negatives look so dark brown, there are a some stains and, most importantly, they take an awfully longer time to enlarge than my negatives developed in ID 11 (twice longer or more).

Despite all this, they seem to look like they should in the end, in spite of the longer exposure time required in the enlarger. Here's an example:

[​IMG]

Is it normal for negatives developed in Tanol to require longer exposure times in the enlarger?

When I mixed the developer with distilled water, I used 5 ml + 5 ml + 500ml water. Did I get it wrong? Perhaps 1,000 ml water would be right?

I don't think the negatives were overdeveloped, since the highlights look like highlights.

Can anyone shed a light on this? Thanks!

2. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know Tanol so I can't help you there unfortunately. But I DO know a good photograph - and that's one. I love it. Looks like you'll just have to suffer for your art! Looks like it's worth it.

3. OP
    OP
    Edimilson

Edimilson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I thought it was a good idea to photograph the clothes hanging there because I'd probably get many shades of gray. That would allow me to decide if the development of the film was right. I had no intention of making a nice photograph. It was just a test. It wouldn't be very smart to do something I might like to keep and ruin it with wrong development, right?

4. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That is very true. However, I'd just keep testing with results like this !!

5. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Stain from "staining" developers can indeed increase the exposure time for making a print beyond what you might expect from a visual inspection of the negative.