Nikon Z or DSLR? Which is the better choice for plenty of AI-s and AFD lenses?

Malibu

A
Malibu

Rockwood Park-4

A
Rockwood Park-4

Enamored

A
Enamored

Kea'au Bike Flower

A
Kea'au Bike Flower

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gigidamico
Recent bookmarks

Moose22

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Is it that much different compared to DSLRs?

Yes.

Dust is worse on my Z7 than on my previous couple of cameras. I do a lot of cleaning when I've been using it in anger. It's almost always an issue after I might have switched a lens, used a zoom... it's weather sealed but you can get stuff in through the battery compartment, too. Eventually something gets in there.

Since the sensor isn't covered and it doesn't have a mirror for incidental coverage, it does seem to attract those dust bunnies more often.

No digital is dust free, but the Z6 and Z7 do need more cleaning in my experience.

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
Is it that much different compared to DSLRs?

Depends on the DSLR, I suppose. Mine have a mirror, of course, but also have a metal, electronic shutter that keep dust OFF of the sensor because it's closed 99.9999% of the time.

jtk

Shooter
35mm
Dust has almost never been a problem with any Pentax DSLR (they shake it off).

I think the Z is way too early in it's design-life. Give its successor a couple of years before betting on it.

Meanwhile, Z has all sorts of bells/whistles if that's someone's goal.

Anon Ymous

Shooter
35mm
Digital cameras are computers. 10 years max and they are done.

My 10 year old Canon 6D is a perfectly fine camera. Actually, my 14 year old 450D is also perfectly usable and I'll pick it if I want something light, combined with a stabilised kit lens. None of them is "done".

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
My 10 year old Canon 6D is a perfectly fine camera. Actually, my 14 year old 450D is also perfectly usable and I'll pick it if I want something light, combined with a stabilised kit lens. None of them is "done".

I have a 23 year old Nikon Coolpix 990. Still works, it takes AA batteries. The 995 used a Nikon rechargeable battery pack, these are toast.

benveniste

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have a 23 year old Nikon Coolpix 990. Still works, it takes AA batteries. The 995 used a Nikon rechargeable battery pack, these are toast.

There are still batteries (and chargers) available for the Coolpix 995. Mine still works. Not that it's germane to the original question.

At this time, my preference for AI-s lenses would be a Z camera. Focus peaking is a better solution for manually focus than either Live View or the "Green dot."

For "screwdriver" AF lenses, it's a much closer decision. The full-frame Z cameras give you IBIS, but you have to focus manually, and I can't say much positive about the focus feel of any of my "D" or pre-D AF lenses. So for those lenses, I'd stick with a dSLR.

Ariston

Shooter
Multi Format
DSLRs are so noisy. That's my biggest issue. No one needs flash or bright lights at press events today, mirrorless excel in everything, and they are silent.

I wouldn't say they excel at everything (battery life? cost?). I can't stand looking at another screen. I'm surprised so many people are ok with it; but then again, people love looking at screens these days. I understand the advantage of seeing instant feedback on the exposure, etc. But to me, the price you pay of having to look at yet another screen is not worth it.

Maybe because I have to look at screens all day for work. I'm over it. I don't want to be detached further from reality on yet another activity. This same "progress" has ruined much of modern music in my opinion, which is now programmed instead of composed and performed.

jtk

Shooter
35mm
I wouldn't say they excel at everything (battery life? cost?). I can't stand looking at another screen. I'm surprised so many people are ok with it; but then again, people love looking at screens these days. I understand the advantage of seeing instant feedback on the exposure, etc. But to me, the price you pay of having to look at yet another screen is not worth it.

Maybe because I have to look at screens all day for work. I'm over it. I don't want to be detached further from reality on yet another activity. This same "progress" has ruined much of modern music in my opinion, which is now programmed instead of composed and performed.

I've loved jazz ever since I heard Miles et al. I love black music (jazz), and that constitutes the best of "modern music IMO.

It's important to listen to what you love, or what you are tempted to learn about.

I doubt many people "love looking at screens".

I don't think exploration of ideas is a wonderful online resource. For example, I've been reading some online thinking about Mark Twain and info about Ukraine history. Some folks don't like ideas, but that's OK with me. .

One alternative to Ariston's sad attitude about computers is to use them intelligently. For example, one can learn a lot about photography by exploration of Photrio.

Personally, I have no interest in photo-chemistry but a lot of interesting folks share a lot of photo chemistry experience on Photrio.😀

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom