Nikon Newest AF 80-200 2.8 and TC-14E?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by ssloansjca, Mar 4, 2009.

1. ssloansjca

ssloansjca Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What do people think of this combination. I know it is probably not as sharp at shooting lens charts than a 300mm f4 but I don't shoot lens charts, or landscapes, I shoot moving things like trains. I often shoot handheld.

Money is an object and the TC-14E is pricey but much cheaper than an AF 300mm f4. Plus if/when I get the 300mm I then have a 420mm.

Does anybody use the Nikon Newest AF 80-200 2.8 and TC-14E?

What do you think? Do you find your pictures meet your needs?

~Steve Sloan

2. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When you say newset 80-200mm do you mean the AF-S or AF-D one?

3. OP
    OP
    ssloansjca

ssloansjca Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My lens is a Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200 2.8 D, so I guess that makes it an AF-D, right? So it would become a 112-280mm f4 with the TC-14E. That sounds good to me!

4. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you'd have to manual focus though. The TC-14e will only AF with AF-s lenses. Another option is the old 300mm f4 AF. Current used prices get down below $400.

5. OP
    OP
    ssloansjca

ssloansjca Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yup, I can't get there from here, not if I want AF AND Nikon. Thanks folks!

~Steve

6. OP
    OP
    ssloansjca

ssloansjca Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It sounds like the Kenko Pro300 1.4x Teleconverter for Nikon may suit my need. I go hiking in and I do not want to carry a 80-200 2.8 and a 300mm, as long as I am not shooting lens charts it sounds like this will work.

~Steve

7. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I started out with the 70-200 and the teleconverter and wasn't really impressed. Eventually I got the 300 f/4 and it is a much better option. The 300 with the teleconverter is superb as well and works as a great closeup lens for insects, butterflies, and flowers. But as others have mentioned you can't use the same Nikon teleconverter on the D and AFS lenses. I have no experience with the Kenko.

The thing is, while you are not shooting lens charts, real world objects need to be sharp as well. And you can see the difference in normal sized enlargements. Stopped down 2 stops the combo was much better, but who wants to shoot at f/8 to f/11 (effective) for birds and animals.

8. nyoung

nyoung Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I own this combo and use it every once in awhile. I'd call it good enough if that's all I have at the moment but I'll pay the price to pack around the 300/4 if at all possible.

For a cheap manual focus 300 look for the 1990s vintage 300/4.5 ED-IF. Its compact a compared to the 300/4 and the earlier 300/4.5 AIS.

9. OP
    OP
    ssloansjca

ssloansjca Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I am hiking in the hills going into photo locations I can carry 2-3 lenses and maybe a Monopod and a body or two, plus rr scanner, food, water, etc.. So I carry a wide to moderate zoom, the 80 to 200 and maybe a 24mm. Thats it.

I am shooting moving trains hand held and it has to be sharp enough but it is not locked down on a tripod. I do have a 300mm 4.5 MF EDIF that is really sharp and it sits in the car a lot.

I like AF because my eyes are going...

~Steve