Nikon FM2 rescue project

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by xtolsniffer, Jan 24, 2018.

1. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know of a good source of cheap Nikon spare parts in the UK? It's for an FM2 (early model with the x200 shutter speed on the dial) rescue project. Or if not, what the interchangeability of parts is with the other FM/FE/FG models? I used this particular camera for my PhD about 30 years ago and it recently resurfaced in an old box when the lab was being cleared before being closed and was passed on to me. It was completely jammed and needed a fairly big strip-down and clean and new foam, but as it was an old friend it was a bit of a labor of love. I still need to source a rewind-crank (plus pin), or failing that, a whole rewind knob, plus a battery holder. I assume the latter are pretty standard across the Nikon double digit line. I've looked at whole cameras on you know where, but even ones for spares or repairs that look like they've been run over by a truck are just on for crazy money.

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The FM2 was only made for (IIRC) two years, this site http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm2/index.htm has a pretty good description of the differences, which may tell you which FM/FM2n parts will work. Good luck, FMs were Nikon's last real mechanical camera continuing the tradition of the Nikkormat.

Edit - There were three variants, the FM, FM2, and FM2n. It sounds like you have the FM2, but you need to be certain, the link tells you how.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  3. Ap507b

Ap507b Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have you tried contacting Nikon spares in the UK directly? It's been a few years since I got anything off of them but maybe 10 years ago I got a new FM2 top cover from them. They might still hold some bits for the FM2? May not be the cheapest option but may be the easiest route. Their email is spareparts.uk@nikon com

4. OP
    OP
    xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is the FM2 early variant with the titanium shutter and the extra x200 shutter speed.

5. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Murphy's Law strikes again, that's the scarcest one. But, quite a lot of the external parts are the same. I seem to remember a difference on or around the rewind between the FM2 and the FM2n, I have access to only the FM though.
    Good luck.

6. colin wells

colin wells Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What part of yorkshire are you in ? There's a camera fair (film ) held in Boston nr Wetherby they have all sorts non workers to mint and prices are generally very good

7. OP
    OP
    xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now that's an excellent suggestion. I have been in the past, the only downside being that I always come back with things I didn't realize I couldn't live without. The last time it was a Tokina 400mm. That wasn't a cheap impulse purchase. There are usually a few guys there with buckets of dead cameras, I might find what I need.

8. colin wells

colin wells Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Failing that the lad at west yorkshire cameras Leeds is very helpful and gets all over the UK buying cameras if you give him a ring he may be able to help you

9. ronnies

ronnies Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think the Nikon battery holders (2xSR44) are all the same. Certainly my F3 and EM ones are interchangeable and I'm sure I used the same one in a friend's FM2n.

Ronnie

10. OP
    OP
    xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well luckily I have an FM and a later FM2n. The actual rewind shaft is thicker on the FM, but the rewind knobs look very similar. I think an FE2 one might work as well. I'll see if I can find anything in a bargain bucket somewhere. This one has had a bit of a hard time, having spent more than a few minutes at the bottom of a pond (not dropped by me I hasten to add). Amazing what they can survive.

11. I'm pretty sure the rewind crank for the FM2 is the same across both versions and also the FM as well. It wouldn't surprise me if it were the same crank used with the FE and FE2 (I know those two use the same one) and even the FA. So parts for the assembly should be plentiful, at least.

12. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Crank handle is the same, but the rewind knob is different between the FM and the FM2/FM2n bodies. The first FM knob is the one with the knurled finish around the edge. Second one looks like an FM2 knob, but is taller and will prevent the safety lock for the back from engaging. You can use any FE part, an FM2, FM2n, FM3a, or FA part without issues.

-J

13. OP
    OP
    xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have just managed to source a crank handle and battery compartment from Bulgaria of all places. It was from a junked FM, and I think there may have been a design change between the original FM with the motor-drive switch around the the shutter dial to the newer FM as the knob on the end of the crank is exactly the same as on my FM2n. My old FM has a taller knob (as you describe in your post John) so it was lucky it was the right one as I'd not noticed the difference. So it's now almost complete apart from the last thing I need to source now is the compression spring inside the door latch. I do have the one that was in there but I think it is either too long or has stiffened over time as it fully compresses without giving enough clearance to release the door. I could just snip it shorter but I'm always vary of 'modifying' an existing part only to find out later it was me just not fitting it right. The other thing that amazed me was how much rotten foam there was inside the body. I can only conclude that some strips of it were there for sound-proofing as there was nothing striking against it that needed to be cushioned. Anyway, that's all replaced now as well. Once I've got the film door issue sorted it'll be time to run a slide film through it to check exposure and accuracy of the shutter. I really need to build myself a proper shutter speed tester.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.