Nikon FM or FA for glasses weared?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by jmg1911, Mar 1, 2009.

1. jmg1911

jmg1911 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have narrowed the search down to FM or FA, but would sure appreciate your thoughts about which is handiest while wearing glasses. Or is it bad news with both? There is always the F3HP, I suppose, but I am hoping for lighter and smaller. Thanks in advance.

2. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing you can do is get a diopter for the eyepiece on either camera. You can have that match your wearing glasses while shooting, or have it set to your prescription to shoot without wearing glasses. Check these pages for specifications:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfa/index.htm

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/index.htm

Just on a reliability level, the simpler FM or FM2 are likely better choices than the FA. However, it is possible to find good examples of the FA, and you get a few more usability features. You might also consider the FE or FE2, which are very similar to the FM and FM2, especially with the viewfinder.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

3. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, the FM, and variants like FM2, FM2n, FM3a, are all good cameras to be sure. The FA and FE2 cameras I've used have similar viewfinders. I wear glasses. I have an FM2n, an F3HP, an assortment of old Nikkormats, and an F2 with the DP-2 prism, and N90s, and an F100. Compared to the F3HP, they are all sorely lacking in the viewfinder department, though the F2 and the F100 come close. You can get diopter correction eyepieces for any of these cameras. None of them will allow you to see the entire viewfinder images while wearing glasses except for the F3HP. Of all my Nikons, the F3HP has the best viewfinder for me. It is bright, clear, has a 100% viewfinder, and shows the whole frame while wearing eyeglasses. If you choose one of the smaller camera and wish to see the entire image in the finder, you will need to get a diopter correction eyepiece that will allow you to see it clearly without wearing spectacles.

4. OP
    OP
    jmg1911

jmg1911 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks, guys. I'm glad I asked because I hate continually taking off and putting on my glasses. (Actually, I just hate my glasses.) Guess I better just shut up and go for the F3HP.