Nikon FE2 - A nice user camera?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Wishy, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Wishy

Wishy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,

I've had an Nikon FE2 fall into my hands. It needs a little repairwork, but I'm expecting it to work out as half the cost of a one from ebay.

I already have an F90X with a Sigma 24-60 2.8 and 12-24 (Although quite why they couldn't put an aperture ring on the bloody thing i don't know! I just use shutter priority mode to get the aperture i want). I'm also shortly getting an autofocus 50mm 1.8.
    Obviously the 24-60 is useable, but the resistance on the focus isn't good for manual operation.

My main jap manual focus SLR is a Pentax ME-Super with a 50mm 1.7. I find its a nice camera, looks good, lightweight, feels nice in the hand - its a camera you can almost forget about and worry about the image instead. As much as i like it, the metering is a pain in the bum (Heavy bias towards the sky, you can't just point at the ground, press AE-Lock and recompose, you've got to swap to manual exposure and use the silly buttons) and there is no depth of field button.

My question are:
    How good is the metering on the FE2?
    Are they generally reliable?
    Will the AF 50mm 1.8 be "nice" to use with the FE2, or am i better getting a seperate manual focus lens? If so how much can i expect to pay for one?
    Is the included Tameron SP 35-80 2.8 anything to write home about?
    I'm going to get a faster maximum shutter speed, a faster flash sync speed and proper speed dial, anything else i should be considering as an advantage of the nikon?

2. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1 Metering in the FE2 is great, I use both the FE and the FM2n with slides, and never have a problem. It's weighted 60/40.
    2. Very reliable for both of mine
    3. Af 50mm is alright, but gets a bit gritty over time. Frankly I don't think the cost of an AIS or AI lens is worth it if you also want to use the lens on an AF camera
    4. no comment, but Tamron makes nice lenses.
    5. MF lenses from Nikon are cheaper then pentax, and I've found the viewfinder brighter then my Pentax camera (spotmatic F). Also you can change the viewfinder, dunno if you can on the ME-super. Also there are many many more lens options widely available for nikon. Pentax makes great stuff, but I have trouble finding it for a reasonable price sometimes.

3. OP
    OP
    Wishy

Wishy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Re 3 - Thats going on the F90X, manual focus is *sometimes* too cumbersome. just trying to work out if the two can share!
    Re viewfinders, they're almost identical in size, the focus screen on the FE2 is slightly easier to use, its split AND microprism.

4. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I don't think the viewfinder on the FE2 is interchangeable, just the screen.

Aside from that, I think the FE and FE2 are very solid and reliable cameras.

5. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use an FE I bought new in '83. Works a treat. It was in a fire a year ago - totally black and the furniture it was on was well scorched. Picked it up the other day and the film advanced and the shutter fired! I'm going to try and clean it up and see what happens. It'll probably need new seals but that it still operates after a fire just amazed me. The size and "feel" of the FE is all but perfect for street shooting. I use(d) it over the F100 and N90. Should say the same thing happened with with the F3, N90s,F100 and FM that were sitting there with it - they all fired no problem.

Guess this is a long winded way of saying "Yeah - it's a good camera"

Bob H

6. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The FE2 is as good as any other semi-pro Nikon, allowing for its age. As noted here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_FE2
    the center-weighted metering sysem was used in a number of models, I personally think it's among the best of its type. All SLRs exhibit increased vibration level as they get old.
    Re Tamron - "SP" stands for special performance, their top-quality product line.

7. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The FE2 is my favourite Nikon. I find it easier to use handheld than the heavier MF pro F's, has all or most of the functions that I need or use including a fast sync speed and is a damn nice looking camera. The only Nikon that I like better or as well is the F100.

8. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a pair of FEs, black and chrome, that are quite pleasant user cameras. The FE2 is even better.

My only complaint about these cameras is the relatively poor eyepoint relief. I wear glasses, and I have to scrunch pretty close to the viewfinder to see everything.

You can get MD-12 motor drives really cheaply these days ($50-100) to give yourself 3.3 fps winding.

9. Robert Budding

Robert Budding Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A brand new FE2 was my very first 'serious' camera. I carried it about Europe during my younger days. Excellent camera!

10. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I misspoke, I meant the screen.

11. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Love my FE2. Great camera, easy to use, dependable.

12. nicefor88

nicefor88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,
    I started (serious) photography with a FE in 1978, a nice camera that I still use to this day. Then I invested more money into a F3 HP. It's hard to find any bad thing in the FE and even harder in the F3. The F line is created for pro use, thus engineers build theses cameras stronger, that's why they are heavier :tongue:
    In terms of metering, the FE is accurate, the F3 does not show any advantage. The feel is just better (but that's pretty subjective).
    Sure the FE 2 is faster but it's a kind of more expensive FE. I used two FE2s, both had a problem with their honecomb shutter. Expensive repair!!
    Otherwise, I would recommend any Nikon camera in all circustances, except for the FG and EM which obviously are very basic.