Latest member
Cyanotypeworld
Recent bookmarks

Born2Late

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Hi All:

I have a Nikon F6 that I purchased new in December. I am getting a vertical dark band on quite a few negatives. For the life of me it looks like a light leak. I've only seen them on 400 speed film (HP5+) and they are always the same size (about 1/8" wide) and in the exact same place, but the density varies. I strongly suspect that it has to do with the "Film Confirmation Window". The only thing I can think of is that the foam light seal around it is not making good contact with the film cartridge and when back of the camera is facing strong light it is fogging the film in that area.

Have any of you had this experience?

Thanks.

Billy Axeman

Shooter
Digital
I almost exclusively shoot HP5+ with the F6 for more than a year and I have not seen the slightest leak. The film cartridge has a very tight fit in the compartment actually, with two additional springs to keep it in place: one in the cartridge compartment, and one around the seal on the door.

Perhaps one of the springs is out of place or bent. The spring in the compartment must have a clearance to the side of 3 mm. The spring around the seal must have a clearance of about 6 mm to the door.

John Koehrer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Got an image of the negatives?

OP
OP

Born2Late

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
As a follow up; I shot a roll of T-Max 400 today. Most of the shots were taken from inside through open doors or window (we had a lot of snow), but one taken outside exhibits the same problem, not as pronounced but there.

Last edited:

Craig

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Is it just in the image area, or across the entire film width into the sprockets? Have you tried shooting with different lenses?

OP
OP

Born2Late

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Is it just in the image area, or across the entire film width into the sprockets? Have you tried shooting with different lenses?
It covers the entire width of the film, sprocket holes and all. As best as I can tell, it shows up when the is a strong light coming from behind the camera.

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
Put some opaque tape over the film window in the back and shoot another roll outside with the sun to the window side of the back, then the hinge side.
Go for texture in the snow without blank shadows. Those windows were a problem from the day they were introduced.

Edit: There's one other possibility, light reflecting through the eyepiece but that type of fogging usually does not form a line or bar across the film.

Last edited:

zanxion72

Shooter
Multi Format
Are you using reloadable film canisters? It could be lip fog. Is it always at the same place on every frame?
Lip fog would be at the first few frames of the roll.

OP
OP

Born2Late

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Are you using reloadable film canisters? It could be lip fog. Is it always at the same place on every frame?
Lip fog would be at the first few frames of the roll.
It occurs in reloads and factory throughout the roll. It is always in the exact same position to the frame, which would not be the case for lip fog.

zanxion72

Shooter
Multi Format
Indeed! Have it checked by Nikon. At least where I am they have excellent and fast service.

OP
OP

Born2Late

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Indeed! Have it checked by Nikon. At least where I am they have excellent and fast service.
I sent them an email message but haven't received a response yet. In the mean time I put tape over the window and shot a roll in bright sunlight as a test.

BMbikerider

Shooter
35mm
My F6 is around 10 years old and never a light leak anywhere.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom