Nikon AF lenses on manual bodies

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Pentode, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Pentode

Pentode Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all - I was given a pair of Nikon N6006 bodies a couple of years ago and two lenses: a 60mm Micro AF
    and a 70-210 AF. Both of these lenses are from just prior to the release of the D series lenses. I haven’t really spent a lot of time with this outfit because I don’t really have much affinity for autofocus but I’ve played with it some and found the lenses to be nice.

More recently I was given an older Nikon outfit: an F3 HP, an FM2 and several AI primes.

Knowing that Nikon’s lenses are retro compatible I thought it might be interesting to try the AF lenses on these older bodies.

Interesting indeed! I unlocked the aperture ring, rotated the selector ring from A to M and mounded the 60mm on the F3. Sure enough, everything seemed to work fine until I rotated the focus to infinity... and it locked there.

Removing the lens frees everything up again, but I can’t figure out why the lens locks at infinity or how to get it to stop.

I’m a long-time Minolta guy, quite new to Nikon, and the subtleties of Nikon elude me. I’m sure I’m just doing something dumb. Would someone kindly tell me what that is?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    And you don't have problem with the N6006? It's strange because as far as I know it's not supposed to do that.

3. OP
    OP
    Pentode

Pentode Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I’ve only used the lens set for autofocus on the N6006 and, no, there were no problems.

I suppose I can try the lens on the N6006 set up for manual focus and see what it does. Likewise, I can try the zoom on the F3 and see if it does the same thing.

4. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Neither lens should do that on the F3. I don't have the micro but I think I have the same zoom you have and I don't have any problem.

5. OP
    OP
    Pentode

Pentode Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That’s why I think I’m doing something dumb! :wink:

6. jimjm

jimjm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got several Nikon AF lenses that work fine on my F3, and even on my F2A. As long as the lens has an aperture ring, it should mount and focus fine on any AI / AIS compatible body.

Do the lenses have an M/A switch? This should be set to M when using manual focus.

7. OP
    OP
    Pentode

Pentode Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lenses have a collar that rotates from A to M and that collar has a little locking button. So, yes, there’s an M/A switch. It was set to M when I tried mounting it.

I’m not in front of any of my gear right now - working very long hours this week, but I’m going to try mounting the zoom on the F3 and see what happens and I’ll also try both lenses on the FM2.

As long as I don’t focus all the way to infinity the lens focuses manually just fine. It’s only when I rotate the focus to infinity that it locks in place.

8. OP
    OP
    Pentode

Pentode Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. OP
    OP
    Pentode

Pentode Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did a little messing around this morning and here’s what I learned:

The 60mm lens locks at infinity on both manual focus bodies, the F3HP and the FM2. It also locks at infinity when it’s not mounted to a camera at all.

The 60mm lens works just fine in autofocus mode on the N6006. In manual mode it locks at infinity.

The 70-210, which doesn’t have a A/M switch, functions properly on all bodies.

I also researched as much as I could (including the manual for the 60mm) and couldn’t find anything glaring that would explain the problem.

So this leaves two possibilities:
    1) The 60mm is broken. If that’s the case I’ll just continue to use it as an AF lens on the N6006 and not lose any more sleep.

2) I’m doing something dumb. At this point it seems unlikely, but I don’t want to rule it out. I could be missing something really obvious.

10. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That is strange. I can use and of my Nikon lenses on my N2000 except for my pre-AI lenses. I can even use my DX lenses which work fine (in program mode, because they have no aperture ring), assuming I don't mind some vignetting in the corners. I can even use my pre-AI lenses, but when you mount them, you can see how they interfere with the metering ring thing, and they could break the camera, which I don't want to do. But I have mounted one by mistake before, and it worked well enough at the time. I definitely haven't had any focus locking issues with any of my lenses.

11. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What if you leave the A-M in A and use it on the F3 or FM? You can still focus right? In the manual M is for when you use with close up lens and generally when using close up lenses you would leave the lens on infinity. May be the lock is designed for true infinity as AF lens can be focused past infinity.

12. jimjm

jimjm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably you've checked this, but is the "Limit/Full" switch set to Full? If you're still having a problem with different bodies, then there may be a mechanical problem with the lens.

13. OP
    OP
    Pentode

Pentode Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don’t believe so. In the A mode the focus collar just spins freely. Honestly, though, I didn’t try it. It can’t hurt to give it a try.

It was set to Full and I believe you’re probably right about there being a mechanical problem. As long as it still works as an autofocus lens I’ll probably just keep it with the N6006 and use it as it was intended. I don’t shoot macro stuff anyway and I have a perfectly good AI’d 50mm/f2 I can use on the manual bodies.

I have a camera that needs to go in for a CLA soon anyhow and when I drop it off I’ll ask the good doctor what he thinks of the 60mm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.