Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoff mountfield
Recent bookmarks

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
I have not seen any such TV ad. But over the last years a few times analog cameras slipped-in as props in printed german ads. The likely most spread was a weekly broshure for Aldi Northern-Germany.
I see that as glitches of the advertizing people (living in their own scene) but totally unrelated to the people the ads are intended for.

Also think of the icon of movie film, the douple-perforated 35mm strip. Still used as icon, but no longer for actual showing.

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
I've posted about this before over the years and provided screenshots, so it's not a new trend.

abruzzi

Shooter
Large Format
compared to digital cameras, a 35mm film camera (no all but some) says to the general public "I'm creative, but not a nerd that obsesses over MTF charts".* That why film cameras are popular for props in advertisements.

* Most people don't know that film camera actually means "I a way bigger nerd that obsesses over things like acutance which is a word you've never even heard of before."

E. von Hoegh

Shooter
Multi Format
Is there a trend developing? I just saw an ad for Botox with a gal sporting what looked like a Nikon F3 in her hand.
A perfect juxtaposition, a botox idiot holding a prop it could't put film in. One more confirmation that I made the correct decision when I ditched TV.... in 1989.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
I don't get ads on my TV. Am I missing out on popular culture? Botulinum Toxin? From the deadly clostridium bacteria? Sure...shoot me up with it while hold my film camera...

CMoore

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Is there a trend developing? I just saw an ad for Botox with a gal sporting what looked like a Nikon F3 in her hand.
There are, of course, 101 possibilities.
My guess.?........it was simply a prop that was available for 1 of another 101 reasons. Unless they DID make some reference to film, it was just a prop.....Movies/Commercials are like that with Every Thing.
Cars
Guitars
Guns
Sewing Machines
Gold Clubs
Computers
.....Especially with commercials, accuracy ...regards props... often does not matter very much.

aliphazer

Shooter
35mm
I've also noticed this motif, particularly in skin care ads. I think they are trying to get across the point that their product can "freeze time" like a photographed is assumed to.

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
Many productions only look at cameras as props and the general population will not know the difference. That's why one sees press photographers in 1945 using cameras from 1947 and later and similar in TV programs, commercials, and movies.
I've seen a commercial or two with a camera in use or the background but never paid too much attention to them as I skip the commercials.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
There is one in high rotation around here where I think the camera is a Mamiya 7.
I think it is a little bit of the same thing as the people who come up to me, see a film camera, and say something like "You use film, so you must know what you are doing"!!??
You can fool some of the people .....:D

GRHazelton

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I saw the Botox ad with the Nikon F3. Note that the foolish model is using the Nikon without a neck or wrist strap! Stupid....

Pieter12

Shooter
Super8
Stylists and art directors look for trendy props. And film cameras are trendy with certain young groups (hipsters e.g.). Although the target audience is older, the AD and stylists probably aren't.

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
I've also noticed this motif, particularly in skin care ads. I think they are trying to get across the point that their product can "freeze time" like a photographed is assumed to.

Either that, or they're implying one has skin good enough to be photographed, such as for a magazine cover.

Normally I fast-forward through the five minutes of ads that seem to be typical today. Occasionally I'll pause if I see something interesting in the ad, like a car from the 1950's. Ad agencies know that nostalgic things get attention; they also target a show's audience well: when you see ads for catheters and not for an xbox, you're definitely watching an old guy geezer program.

Yes, 98.6% of TV today is drivel, but if I'd stopped watching it in 1989 I would've missed the 20-season hit series, "Great Cameras of the 20th Century".

Shooter
35mm RF
The ads that crack me up are the ones with actors pretending to be photographers. There is one I am thinking of for some geriatric drug and the "actographer" goes out with a digital Hasseblad and shoots eagles and flowers, then has a "gallery" show with huge prints on the walls because those are exactly the type of photographs that sell in galleries. Lol.

There is a commercial as well for one of those business card companies that features a newby actographer. Of course he makes business cards and passes them out. Goes to show how many people think they are photographers these days if a commercial is made about it. I'd bet that the company noticed how many orders from "photographers" they were getting.

A few years ago there was a Chanel ad i think it was with Audrey Tautou and she was carrying a Leica, but it was kind of hard to notice the Leica.

PaulQ

Shooter
35mm
The ads that crack me up are the ones with actors pretending to be photographers. There is one I am thinking of for some geriatric drug and the "actographer" goes out with a digital Hasseblad and shoots eagles and flowers, then has a "gallery" show with huge prints on the walls because those are exactly the type of photographs that sell in galleries. Lol.

There is a commercial as well for one of those business card companies that features a newby actographer. Of course he makes business cards and passes them out. Goes to show how many people think they are photographers these days if a commercial is made about it. I'd bet that the company noticed how many orders from "photographers" they were getting.

A few years ago there was a Chanel ad i think it was with Audrey Tautou and she was carrying a Leica, but it was kind of hard to notice the Leica.
I just watched it, it was a digital Leica. Assuming they only used one that is, it had a colour screen on the back.
The Keira Knightly Chanel ad (old Ducati with her in matching clothes) had a medium format camera in it, I didn't notice what it was.
Re the original post , Botox ads are banned in the UK

John Koehrer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I saw the Botox ad with the Nikon F3. Note that the foolish model is using the Nikon without a neck or wrist strap! Stupid....

Can't blame her, she's getting paid to do what they tell ;her.
BTW it's a HP F3.......Does anyone really care?

Mick Fagan

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks for the link, would never have seen it otherwise.

I hardly ever use a neck or wrist strap with any of my F3's, the exceptions are when traversing terrain where I need to have two hands to help me navigate said terrain.

Around 30 years ago I was a helping hand for a commercial where they used a 35mm camera, the model back then did exactly what this model did, held the camera with her left hand as per normal, but instead of having her fingers extended to the focusing ring, she kept her fingers close to the body on the aperture ring. This makes for a cleaner looking concept; small details like that are why some people are paid big money to ensure the cleanest looking image is conveyed.

For the record, it is a Nikon F3HP, I have two of them. I don't care either, but at least in this instance I think that prop, the camera, was used in a reasonably usable context.

Mick.

Kino

Shooter
Multi Format
I really hate the newsreel re-enactment scenes with a bunch of people running around with super 8 and regular 8mm cameras...

Yeah, yeah, I know there was a period when Double Super 8 magstripe was experimented with for news gathering, but they used modified Canon Scoopics and other professional grade cameras, not consumer grade cameras.

Idiotic...

jim10219

Shooter
4x5 Format
There’s a good chance the director added it. Lots of directors are also photographers, at least as a hobby. And lots of them like things like nostalgia and process. Many even want to shoot movies with film, but budgets don’t usually allow that.

Still, what’s with all the complaining? The growth in popularity of film cameras benefits all of us. Complain about hipsters if you want, but they’re bringing back quality, hand made goods and tactile “analog” processes while the rest of us cry that everything is cheaply made and disposable, computers are taking over the world, and there are no manufacturing jobs left in the Western Hemisphere. They’re solving most of the problems we created.

Agulliver

Shooter
Multi Format
I rarely watch commercial television but I have noticed several ads recently where someone is holding or using a film camera.

I see more people in real life too, with film cameras. Bloke walked into the pub a few weeks ago with a Canon film SLR with a large flash on a large neck strap. For once, I didn't feel out of place.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom