New TV ads with old film cameras

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by quixotic, Sep 20, 2018.

1. quixotic

quixotic Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is there a trend developing? I just saw an ad for Botox with a gal sporting what looked like a Nikon F3 in her hand.

2. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I noticed that too. It looked pretty beat up ,the camera needs Botox ha

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have not seen any such TV ad. But over the last years a few times analog cameras slipped-in as props in printed german ads. The likely most spread was a weekly broshure for Aldi Northern-Germany.
    I see that as glitches of the advertizing people (living in their own scene) but totally unrelated to the people the ads are intended for.

Also think of the icon of movie film, the douple-perforated 35mm strip. Still used as icon, but no longer for actual showing.

4. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've posted about this before over the years and provided screenshots, so it's not a new trend.

5. abruzzi

abruzzi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    compared to digital cameras, a 35mm film camera (no all but some) says to the general public "I'm creative, but not a nerd that obsesses over MTF charts".* That why film cameras are popular for props in advertisements.

* Most people don't know that film camera actually means "I a way bigger nerd that obsesses over things like acutance which is a word you've never even heard of before."

6. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A perfect juxtaposition, a botox idiot holding a prop it could't put film in. One more confirmation that I made the correct decision when I ditched TV.... in 1989.

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't get ads on my TV. Am I missing out on popular culture? Botulinum Toxin? From the deadly clostridium bacteria? Sure...shoot me up with it while hold my film camera...

8. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are, of course, 101 possibilities.
    My guess.?........it was simply a prop that was available for 1 of another 101 reasons. Unless they DID make some reference to film, it was just a prop.....Movies/Commercials are like that with Every Thing.
    Cars
    Guitars
    Guns
    Sewing Machines
    Gold Clubs
    Computers
    .....Especially with commercials, accuracy ...regards props... often does not matter very much.

9. aliphazer

aliphazer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've also noticed this motif, particularly in skin care ads. I think they are trying to get across the point that their product can "freeze time" like a photographed is assumed to.

10. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Many productions only look at cameras as props and the general population will not know the difference. That's why one sees press photographers in 1945 using cameras from 1947 and later and similar in TV programs, commercials, and movies.
    I've seen a commercial or two with a camera in use or the background but never paid too much attention to them as I skip the commercials.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is one in high rotation around here where I think the camera is a Mamiya 7.
    I think it is a little bit of the same thing as the people who come up to me, see a film camera, and say something like "You use film, so you must know what you are doing"!!??
    You can fool some of the people .....:D

12. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw the Botox ad with the Nikon F3. Note that the foolish model is using the Nikon without a neck or wrist strap! Stupid....

13. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stylists and art directors look for trendy props. And film cameras are trendy with certain young groups (hipsters e.g.). Although the target audience is older, the AD and stylists probably aren't.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Either that, or they're implying one has skin good enough to be photographed, such as for a magazine cover.

Normally I fast-forward through the five minutes of ads that seem to be typical today. Occasionally I'll pause if I see something interesting in the ad, like a car from the 1950's. Ad agencies know that nostalgic things get attention; they also target a show's audience well: when you see ads for catheters and not for an xbox, you're definitely watching an old guy geezer program.

Yes, 98.6% of TV today is drivel, but if I'd stopped watching it in 1989 I would've missed the 20-season hit series, "Great Cameras of the 20th Century".

16. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    The ads that crack me up are the ones with actors pretending to be photographers. There is one I am thinking of for some geriatric drug and the "actographer" goes out with a digital Hasseblad and shoots eagles and flowers, then has a "gallery" show with huge prints on the walls because those are exactly the type of photographs that sell in galleries. Lol.

There is a commercial as well for one of those business card companies that features a newby actographer. Of course he makes business cards and passes them out. Goes to show how many people think they are photographers these days if a commercial is made about it. I'd bet that the company noticed how many orders from "photographers" they were getting.

A few years ago there was a Chanel ad i think it was with Audrey Tautou and she was carrying a Leica, but it was kind of hard to notice the Leica.

17. PaulQ

PaulQ Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just watched it, it was a digital Leica. Assuming they only used one that is, it had a colour screen on the back.
    The Keira Knightly Chanel ad (old Ducati with her in matching clothes) had a medium format camera in it, I didn't notice what it was.
    Re the original post , Botox ads are banned in the UK

18. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  19. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Can't blame her, she's getting paid to do what they tell ;her.
    BTW it's a HP F3.......Does anyone really care?

20. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link, would never have seen it otherwise.

I hardly ever use a neck or wrist strap with any of my F3's, the exceptions are when traversing terrain where I need to have two hands to help me navigate said terrain.

Around 30 years ago I was a helping hand for a commercial where they used a 35mm camera, the model back then did exactly what this model did, held the camera with her left hand as per normal, but instead of having her fingers extended to the focusing ring, she kept her fingers close to the body on the aperture ring. This makes for a cleaner looking concept; small details like that are why some people are paid big money to ensure the cleanest looking image is conveyed.

For the record, it is a Nikon F3HP, I have two of them. I don't care either, but at least in this instance I think that prop, the camera, was used in a reasonably usable context.

Mick.

21. Kino

Kino Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really hate the newsreel re-enactment scenes with a bunch of people running around with super 8 and regular 8mm cameras...

Yeah, yeah, I know there was a period when Double Super 8 magstripe was experimented with for news gathering, but they used modified Canon Scoopics and other professional grade cameras, not consumer grade cameras.

Idiotic...

22. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There’s a good chance the director added it. Lots of directors are also photographers, at least as a hobby. And lots of them like things like nostalgia and process. Many even want to shoot movies with film, but budgets don’t usually allow that.

Still, what’s with all the complaining? The growth in popularity of film cameras benefits all of us. Complain about hipsters if you want, but they’re bringing back quality, hand made goods and tactile “analog” processes while the rest of us cry that everything is cheaply made and disposable, computers are taking over the world, and there are no manufacturing jobs left in the Western Hemisphere. They’re solving most of the problems we created.

23. Alan Edward Klein

Alan Edward Klein Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Would you trust your model to carry an expensive D3 digital camera while she's being filmed? Especially without a neck strap that would have messed up the video's intent. No, of course not. You'd give her a camera bought second hand for $75. An old film camera.

24. zen_zanon

zen_zanon Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  25. Alan Edward Klein

Alan Edward Klein Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I went to a antique car show with autos from the 30's 40's, 50's 60's etc. What beauts. ONe of the owners had a 35mm film camera hanging from his neck. I guess he's all in the past. I think I have a shot of him taken with my P&S digital :smile: I'll post it when I get a chance.

26. Agulliver

Agulliver Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I rarely watch commercial television but I have noticed several ads recently where someone is holding or using a film camera.

I see more people in real life too, with film cameras. Bloke walked into the pub a few weeks ago with a Canon film SLR with a large flash on a large neck strap. For once, I didn't feel out of place.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.