Many months ago I said I was going to make a tripod, and just so you don't think that I was more talk than action, I've finally made some headway on this project: In all it's naked beauty. I still have a bunch of sanding to do, and then throw on some PolyUrethane. I also need to make some kind of spreader to keep the legs from slipping out when it's loaded. Notice the ball head made of the cheapest possible materials that mankind can create. I don't think that head will last very long before I trash it. The ball isn't even chromed or hardened so it is wearing against the rest of the head as I move it. Aluminum on aluminum, not pretty. The only problem I'm having right now is that I don't have enough friction at the leg locks. Hopefully the Urethane will help to make it grab a little better. The lumber was extremely easy to work with. Very straight, very smooth right from the beginning. This came from http://www.hardwoodstore.com/lumber.html and was surfaced on 4 sides to my specific dimensions. If I was to do it all again I would probably go for 3/4 inch squares as opposed to the 1 inch squares that I used. Cost was very low for the lumber, and the other metal and screws not too bad either. I'll update this when I get it semi-finished.