New Silverprint RC 'Proof Paper'

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Tom Kershaw, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Martin,

Do you have any more information you could share on the new 'proof paper' listed on the Silverprint website?

Tom.

2. Martin Reed

Martin Reed Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't, (ahem), disclose the manufacturer, but it's not a very wide field. It was offered to us as a budget paper, glossy only, usual weight. Although it's VC, the contrast range is engineered to be limited to mid-field, (grades 2-3) so it's not hitting the marketing of the top range papers. It seemed particularly suited to the student market, and for anybody producing work prints, so we just had it cut in 2 sizes, 8x10" & 9.5x12", both 50 sheets.

This was a one-off experiment, we've got enough of these 2 sizes to maybe last till the year end. Getting a further supply will mean negotiating another deal, so we'll see how the first one goes.

It only arrived today, should be able to post some prints showing the contrast range relative to MG4 tomorrow.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The tell tale Typeface on the box is perhaps a give-away. :D

Ian

4. Martin Reed

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was very carefully selected... :wink: ...I've just checked, it says 'Made in England' on the label as well!

Sorry about the 10.99 on the 9.5x12", I hate strategic prices, but it was either that or 11.01, the 15% VAT won't allow a straight 11.
    It's not linked from the blurb on the front page till tomorrow, go into 'Traditional Papers' and it's in the list of B&W papers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  5. milkplus-mesto

milkplus-mesto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Excellent news Martin! Hopefully I'll be up to buy some very soon. I know with some of the other films and papers you have sample images in the shop - do you have any?

6. OP
    OP
    Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And is placed in the ILFORD section, and I somehow doubt Kodak Harrow is in the business of manufacturing B&W RC private label paper...

Edit: and has now been removed from the ILFORD section.

Tom.

7. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All of which begs the question: which bright spark at Mobberley forgot to fill one of the hoppers, and does he still have a job? :tongue:

8. OP
    OP
    Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That could be the case Bob, out of spec Multigrade RC...

Tom.

9. Martin Reed

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Evaluation

Shane here did some darkroom tests today - I'll post the images up when I've got somebody IT competent to help me.

However, the performance is as specified. At grade 1 the 'Proof' is a fraction more contrasty than MGlV; at grade 3 they are on a par; and the 'Proof' tops out at about grade 3.5.

The image colour of the 'Proof' is slightly warmer than MGlV. Interestingly, it is slightly heavier - a 9.5x12" print is consistently 1 gram more than MGlV. As the gsm of MGlV is stated by Harman as 190, the 'Proof' must be coming in at 200 gsm. Perhaps this is due to difference in coating weight rather than base weight.