New Photo Teacher Affordable Mounting Options

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Mars, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Mars

Mars Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi! I made some really cool Pinhole camera pictures with my high school photo class. I want to mount these photos the "right" way, not sure what that is? What is the most affordable way to do this? Something a little better than tape and black construction paper, which is what I was going to do!

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For quick and temporary mounting, how about a GlueStick and bristol board?

3. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about some cheap slip-in presentation folders from a local art supply store? I'm guessing that cost is a concern, so you don't have to display everything at once - you could rotate photos through over a period of time. An example of what I mean is here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...lders_wsi810p_white_slip_in_photo_folder.html

The "right way" to do it would be somewhat similar, behind some sort of "conservation matt," which is a high quality material vs cheap paper which would probably damage the prints over a long period of time. You might talk to your art department - they are likely familiar with this sort of thing.

If you want some serious info on "proper" display methods for long term use, probably way more info than you want, you can download a couple of chapters from Henry Wilhelm's book - maybe just chapter 12: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html

Personally, I'd probably just look for cheap slip-in folders on sale somewhere local and do a rotating display. If you think any of the students may be saving these long-term, they should get the prints out of the (cheap) folder; high-quality stuff is available at higher cost.

4. OP
    OP
    Mars

Mars Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you for the info. !!! Found some mat board on amazon, that was the right price. Cheers!

5. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mounting them on mount board with photo corners then a plain white mat really makes them stand out and can be done at a low cost. Have the students mount and cut mats will also give them experience .

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frame Destination are a long time PHOTRIO advertiser, they have lots of helpful information on their site and all reports indicate they are very helpful if you contact them: https://www.framedestination.com/

7. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    3M makes some archival double-sided tape for photo mounting.

8. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For quick but permanent use 3M ATG tape along the back of the top edge. There is a removable version but it has less hold.