New instant packfilm project by Florian Kaps

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by Henning Serger, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is interesting and I may consider supporting it. I would like more substance, more, technical details, and fewer "superhero" references.

3. keenmaster486

keenmaster486 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow, and I had thought that project was dead as a doornail.

4. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good Luck!

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is easy to be a Superhero when living on the ideas of others.

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I’m going to recycle this saying. It applies 1000% to where I work.

7. P.johnson14

P.johnson14 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    Nice!

Packfilm is what got me back into photography several years back. I have my packfilm stash that I need to shoot though I’ve been hesitant just because I want it to last.

I’ll donate on Kickstarter when it opens up.

8. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is more of a packaging project than a chemistry project. Impossible/Polaroid Originals already has an instant film product (yes, not yet as good as the real Polaroid or Fuji instant film).

They just need to recreate the packfilm packaging and image transfer process.

9. richyd

richyd Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, they make an extraordinary effort to produce 8x10 film for which the market must be very small so I don't see why they couldn't, for instance, use the same techology and combine it into a sheet type package for 4x5; I have even taped Instax and Impossible film into re-purposed orginal Polaroid sheet envelopes, sort of works. That would be a great solution for 4x5 users with all those 405 holders around and an ever diminishing supply of Polaroid sheet film. Maybe they could use the ashes of the New 55 project for that.

For pack film, looks more challenging but again might be able to use their current technology, again like the separate 8x10 system and combine the negative and positive transfer sheet within the smaller pack unit.

10. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    meh... kickstarter is not a good sign. usually that means half-baked ideas, no money/resources, and basically cyber-begging based on future promises. Not exactly a stunning list of talent on their site either (yet). And without any machinery, they either need a huge amount of funding to build/buy the machinery, or else a fairly large amount of funding and some reliable vendors to outsource all of that sort of thing (production tooling, injection molding, etc.)

11. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Florian 'Doc' Kaps is the founder of Impossible Project. So he's got that going for him.

12. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    still meh. IP has yet to turn out anything worth their asking price, even given the machinery, tooling and experience/expertise they inherited. If they ever make anything worth buying I'd be a customer, but until then, a skeptic.

13. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I totally undertand. I'm not a fan of IP, but the newer PO stuff is much better.. but still not there.

I'm less skeptical with him than I am about a certain re-seller that says they're going to do it.

14. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I wish him the best of luck. But I'll have a hard time putting much credence in it unless and until he's able to get beyond the arm-waving and spell out concretely what are the raw materials and equipment he needs to acquire and what are the R&D problems he needs to solve to get from here to there, and how he plans to do it. Take a lesson from the way Bob Crowley communicated about New55.

If he prefers to keep us all in suspense, then by all means let him find some angel investor to pay for it, and surprise us with the finished product. But if he wants to Kickstart it...

15. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If Fuji, who had the perfect product, all ready developed, best manufacturing and technologists can't make it go. I'm not holding out much hope. First time I tried IP film in my SX-70 on the 3rd shot the pod exploded as it was passing through the rollers getting blue goo all over. I'm waiting for a Instax with a Zeiss lens :smile:

16. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji *could* have kept doing packfilm, they chose not to (a-holes. I still don't forgive them for that), in order to pimp their instax crap.

17. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Instax for packfilm cameras. Why not?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.