New drying screens, video

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Greg Davis, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I needed a new drying screen, so I made a video of making it.

2. Neal

Neal Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nicely done!

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Greg, here's a tip for stretching the screen taught. Place two of the frames end to end with opposing ends raised up about an inch or so with props, Tack the screen at one end then roll the screen to the far end , pull as tight as you can and tack. Now remove the props from under the ends, press the frames flat to the work surface and finish tacking the screen all around. I use a trim strip approx.1/4 thick by half inch or so wide to hold the screen in place. I have built innumerable window screens and screen doors this way, screen resists sagging and stays taught far longer.

4. jawarden

jawarden Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good job!

5. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well worth the effort and the can be made in other sizes as well, to suit your needs and space.

I would add just one final detail: paint the frames with two coats of polyurethane (before attaching the screen material). This will protect the wood frames very well from the humidity and make it easier to keep them clean - I rinse mine fromtime to time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.