neopan 400CN

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by BetterSense, Feb 14, 2009.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm interested in C41 B&W films. I understand that Kodak BW400CN has the orange mask, which makes it impossible for me to print it even poorly on multigrade papers without filters. I further understand that Ilford XP2 does not have the orange mask, and so it should work better. What about this Neopan stuff? I didn't know it existed until recently.

2. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know about the Ilford or Fuji films but I have successfully printed Kodak CN negs in a B&W darkroom with excellent results. I have heard several times that it doesn't work with multigrade filters but I had no problems. Perhaps it's just an urban myth.

3. OP
    OP
    BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Did you use any filtration at all? I couldn't get usable prints onto Illford MGIV. But I'm a noob anyway.

4. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Fuji Neopan 400CN has a lot in common with the Ilford C41 B & W film, and lacks the orange mask of the current Kodak product.

5. OP
    OP
    BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cool. I was hoping it would be a bit cheaper than XP2, but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere.