neopan 400CN

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by BetterSense, Feb 14, 2009.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm interested in C41 B&W films. I understand that Kodak BW400CN has the orange mask, which makes it impossible for me to print it even poorly on multigrade papers without filters. I further understand that Ilford XP2 does not have the orange mask, and so it should work better. What about this Neopan stuff? I didn't know it existed until recently.

2. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know about the Ilford or Fuji films but I have successfully printed Kodak CN negs in a B&W darkroom with excellent results. I have heard several times that it doesn't work with multigrade filters but I had no problems. Perhaps it's just an urban myth.

3. OP
    OP
    BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Did you use any filtration at all? I couldn't get usable prints onto Illford MGIV. But I'm a noob anyway.

4. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Fuji Neopan 400CN has a lot in common with the Ilford C41 B & W film, and lacks the orange mask of the current Kodak product.

5. OP
    OP
    BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cool. I was hoping it would be a bit cheaper than XP2, but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.