Members
Latest member
NegativeCreep
Recent bookmarks

abhishek@1985

Shooter
Medium Format
Hi friends,

I am looking for an opportunity to learn large format photography and get started in large format photography. Mainly looking forward to landscapes.
Have some experience with medium formats and 35mm but large format is what I wanna aim for and development of my own.

So, request you to let me know if you are aware of anyone teaching large format art and the development of the negatives.

Regards,
Abhishek

Alan Gales

Shooter
Large Format
Hello Abhishek and welcome to APUG.

I hear about large format workshops out in the western states like California but there is nothing here in St. Louis. The camera clubs here are mostly filled with digital shooters. I don't know what Minneapolis is like.

There are some Community Colleges that still teach film and large format. You might check that out.

APUG is great but there is another forum that you might be interested in also. It's called Large Format Photography Forum. It's all about large format photography of course. Check it out and click on the Home Page for a wealth of free information. Quite a few of us APUG members belong there also (me included).

Also google Ken Lee photography. Besides Ken's beautiful photography, he has a tech page that you may find very useful. Ken is a moderator on Large Format Photography forum and a great guy.

This should be enough to get you started.

Alan

Alan Gales

Shooter
Large Format
YouTube has a lot of videos on large format photography. Stuff like how to load film holders, developing film, how to use movements on a view camera, etc.

Watching video can really help.

Zathras

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Hello Abhishek and welcome to APUG.

I hear about large format workshops out in the western states like California but there is nothing here in St. Louis. The camera clubs here are mostly filled with digital shooters. I don't know what Minneapolis is like.

There are some Community Colleges that still teach film and large format. You might check that out.

APUG is great but there is another forum that you might be interested in also. It's called Large Format Photography Forum. It's all about large format photography of course. Check it out and click on the Home Page for a wealth of free information. Quite a few of us APUG members belong there also (me included).

Also google Ken Lee photography. Besides Ken's beautiful photography, he has a tech page that you may find very useful. Ken is a moderator on Large Format Photography forum and a great guy.

This should be enough to get you started.

Alan

A link to the Large Format Photography Forum: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum

daleeman

Shooter
Multi Format
Hook up with your local APUGS on shooting outings and you will get all the OJT you can stand.
Maybe start here.
(there was a url link here which no longer exists)

mgb74

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
For local/regional, you might try the bulletin board at West Photo in the spring (or call them). Also, Minneapolis Photo Center might have some info/leads. I've never seen anything specific to LF from the local community ed type resources. My fear is that most local workshops will be geared toward digital.

I don't know specifically what you're looking for, but I would assume there would be some demand for a workshop that focused on the elements specific to LF sheet film (camera movements, workflow, development and printing) for those already familiar with roll film.

John Koehrer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Jim Galli in Tonopah Ut may also have something .
There's alway something going on . Usually when I'm NOT looking for it. Then nuthin' :smile:

You may find something here too.

http://www.midwestlargeformat.com/

Mark_S

Shooter
4x5 Format
I did a large format workshop with Jamie Wilson in New Brunswick in which I learned quite a bit, but I don't think that he offers those any more.

I have also done Bruce Barnbaum's 'Complete Photographic Process' workshop which has a little bit of everything in it. I took the workshop primarily to learn better darkroom skills - and I did get that, but there was also quite a bit of discussion on every aspect of photography from setting up the camera, composition, calculating exposure, processing negatives and printing. It is a week long workshop in his home/studio outside of Seattle, WA. There are field trips to shoot where you get one on one help from Bruce. I would highly recommend Bruce's workshops, but warn you against his sense of humor - if you can't handle bad jokes............

PKM-25

Shooter
Multi Format
When I was on Michael's workshop in Death Valley we were all eating dinner in the restaurant across from the RV park in Stovepipe Wells when a thunderous explosion rocked the place. I looked out the window and saw a huge fireball from an RV that had caught fire from the driver who was renting it riding the breaks all the way in.

Thankfully no one got hurt and the charred wreckage was still there the next morning...so we shot it, it was pretty funny, he is a good teacher with lots of energy and patience.

Trail Images

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
WOW, that RV thing looks pretty scary. I think the restaurant / bar burned up there a couple years ago too. Not sure if it's reopened by now, but it sounds like Stove Pipe Wells area might not be a good place to strike any matches......:sad:

PKM-25

Shooter
Multi Format
WOW, that RV thing looks pretty scary. I think the restaurant / bar burned up there a couple years ago too. Not sure if it's reopened by now, but it sounds like Stove Pipe Wells area might not be a good place to strike any matches......:sad:

I was there in November of 2012, it was fine. These things happen, it's a fantastic place to hold a workshop and a great time to visit.

Trail Images

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I was there in November of 2012, it was fine. These things happen, it's a fantastic place to hold a workshop and a great time to visit.

Good to hear things are OK again after the Saloon fire they had. I totally agree about the location and time of year to go there too. I've been to that location many times now. Wonderful area for photography. :smile:

plagus

Shooter
4x5 Format
Michael Gordon in southern California runs a number excellent workshops for various skill levels.

Pete Lagus

OP
OP

abhishek@1985

Shooter
Medium Format
Guys, thanks alot for all the info..
I did contact Michael fro his March workshop but unfortunately i was late :sad:.. he's already full..
He has got one again in November.. Wish I could get something before that. Its a long wait :sad:

PKM-25

Shooter
Multi Format
I'll be teaching them with an emphasis on a darkroom based perspective in the near future from beautiful Aspen Colorado ( where I live ). John Sexton taught them here for years before Anderson Ranch lost their minds and punted anything to do with film, hence me filling a niche. I have taught them before using other formats...

PM me, perhaps we can work something out in the Spring, the price of accomodations and flights would drain you dry during ski season.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom