Need help with Brooks Veriwide XL, please!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by GeorgeDexter, Feb 13, 2009.

1. GeorgeDexter

GeorgeDexter Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello friends,
    I'm hoping to tap into the vast knowledge base here at APUG to help me with an older camera.

I have an opportunity to buy a Brooks Veriwide XL with the Super-Angulon 47mm f8. It has had a recent CLA, and is in good working order. I am a little concerned about the lens, however. It exhibits noticeable falloff. I'm trying to hand hold this camera, so I don't really want to stop down to f22 where falloff is more manageable. Internet searches for 40.5mm center-spot graduated ND filters has proved fruitless so far... Does anyone know if such a thing was made? Schneider makes them now, but not for the SA 47mm f8. I have a 40.5 to 49mm step-up ring, so I might be able to use a larger filter, but if the center is too big, I fear that will defeat the purpose and make it perform like a regular ND instead of a center-spot.

I'm also looking for DOF data on the lens, and a darkslide and spare back would be nice.

I'm not really interested in switching to a large format with rollfilm back, or a different camera. I just want to see if I can overcome some of the limitations of the Brooks, whick I find to be a really cool outfit, otherwise.

Thanks,
    George

2. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This
    http://www.schneideroptics.com/info..._format_lenses/super-angulon/data/8-47mm.html
    makes no direct mention of vignetting, but does say that the lens only just covers 6x9, so vignetting may be inevitable at f8 or 11. I am sure the makers intended it to be used at f16 or 22.

PS: This
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/vw100.htm
    may be helpful (it says vignetting is inherent and claims a bigger center grad filter plus a stepping ring works).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
  3. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you shot the camera ? Center filters are usually only needed for 'chromes.

How is the film advance ?

4. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the same lens on a graflex xl superwide. I don't think I've ever used it for color, but I don't find the falloff objectionable. I do give a full exposure, and while I normally burn the edges of my prints, I may not do so with this lens and may burn the center a bit. Be sure you aren't stingy with your exposure; err on the side of more, rather than less!

You won't gain anything by stopping down to f/22. Once you have reduced the size of the aperture so that it is fully visible (not cut off) when seen from the corners of the image field, you gain nothing by stopping down more. You can remove the ground glass and look through the open lens, and easily see where the opening fits fully in the unobstructed center of the lens. The design of this lens is really good for avoiding cut-off. I don't hesitate to use it at f/11. You may lose a bit at f/8, but I would rarely use it wide open.

I shoot 6x9 with this lens. Since I have very little if any problem with that, so if you shoot 6x7 I really doubt you will ever have any problem with it. It is a great lens.

5. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Original instructions for the Veriwide said to expose at f 11 or smaller to eliminate falloff.
    I always use mine at f 16 and have no problem. There may be as much as 1/6 stop near the edges, but this only helps to emphasize the center of the photogra[h.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Schneider data:

At 50mm out from center relative illumination goes from about 20% to almost 40% when stopping down to 22. Almost 1/2 of a stop. Not a big change, but should be noticeable in prints and negatives.

[​IMG]

7. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is this the Veriwide 100 or the veriwide w/ the mamiya snake like film back?

8. OP
    OP
    GeorgeDexter

GeorgeDexter Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    df: I noticed some falloff at f8 with B&W film. But I can probably live with it. I am shooting 6x9. What aperture do you find the best sharpness at?

jd: This is the Brooks-Veriwide with the removable back, though it's not an s-shape. like the Mamiya.

9. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you.