Members
Latest member
jowens
Recent bookmarks

pamphoto

Shooter
35mm
Hello,
I recently had the light meter go out on my Nikon N90s. all i see in the viewfinder is the green line light. It still works, but can not shoot in manual mode without an extra light meter.
Has anyone had this happen? were you able to get it fixed?
I really miss working with this camera. I am trying to get back into film and photography overall.
Thank you for your help.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
You can replace the N90, or look at any of the AF cameras to the right on this graph for an upgraded replacement. Most are in the $25 to $100 range these days. If you want to stick to a more 'pro' type camera, there has been a lot of interest in the N80 here lately. Otherwise the N75 is a little newer design that is lighter and smaller (if you like lighter and smaller). Also, this might be a good opportunity to move up the the F100 while they are still very affordable compared to the F6.
Nikon Film Cameras.png

Last edited:

George Mann

Shooter
35mm
Mine has been 100% reliable. The only failures I have seen with these is do to external damage.

OP
OP
pamphoto

pamphoto

Shooter
35mm
You can replace the N90, or look at any of the AF cameras to the right on this graph for an upgraded replacement. Most are in the $25 to $100 range these days. View attachment 327546

Thank you ic-racer. You are suggesting trying to find a replacement for the camera rather than trying to get it fixed, correct? Am I correct in assuming that it is not possible or cost effective to get it fixed and rather search for a new camera?

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
For an electrical problem in that camera, one could open it and trace the appropriate connections, looking for a bad solder joint or loose connection. If a electrical component is bad, a donor camera would be needed. Likely then, easier to just use donor camera. I was able to repair my N55 by searching for a bad solder connection.

N90 layout:

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 7.02.27 PM.png

George Mann

Shooter
35mm
Thank you ic-racer. You are suggesting trying to find a replacement for the camera rather than trying to get it fixed, correct? Am I correct in assuming that it is not possible or cost effective to get it fixed and rather search for a new camera?

I recommend buying another body from a reputable seller, as you are not likely to be able to fix the one you have.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
Hello,
I recently had the light meter go out on my Nikon N90s. all i see in the viewfinder is the green line light. It still works, but can not shoot in manual mode without an extra light meter.
Has anyone had this happen? were you able to get it fixed?
I really miss working with this camera. I am trying to get back into film and photography overall.
Thank you for your help.

Remove batteries. Replace with fresh ones - see if that helps.
Remove lens, clean contacts on lens and camera body. See if that helps
Reset the camera to its defaults by pressing both green-dot buttons simultaneously. See if that helps.

OP
OP
pamphoto

pamphoto

Shooter
35mm
Remove batteries. Replace with fresh ones - see if that helps.
Remove lens, clean contacts on lens and camera body. See if that helps
Reset the camera to its defaults by pressing both green-dot buttons simultaneously. See if that helps.

Hi Huss, Thank you for your reply. I have tried all these tips and still have no light meter. I was on a photoshoot when the light meter quit working. I did not move except to look up at a new area to shoot. I am not sure why it has stopped working.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have the Sekonic 308S which is a great small meter for reflectance and incidence light readings. I use it for my cameras without light meters.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
I have the Sekonic 308S which is a great small meter for reflectance and incidence light readings. I use it for my cameras without light meters.

On these cameras when the 'light meter is out' the whole thing is kaput. But if she indicated it still works, maybe just the display is out, making manual not feasible. So a hand-held meter would be a great solution!

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
The n8008s is essentially the same camera when it comes to features, and I love the spot meter. You can usually get one that is working for $40 or so, much less than a repair would cost on yours, assuming it could even be repaired. The n8008s has a high point viewfinder so glasses wearers can see the whole frame w/ them on.

I plan on buying another one. My little Pentax MV is much smaller and lighter, but the lack of exposure controls is frustrating. The Nikon nailed the exposures every frame, every time.

OP
OP
pamphoto

pamphoto

Shooter
35mm
The n8008s is essentially the same camera when it comes to features, and I love the spot meter. You can usually get one that is working for $40 or so, much less than a repair would cost on yours, assuming it could even be repaired. The n8008s has a high point viewfinder so glasses wearers can see the whole frame w/ them on.

I plan on buying another one. My little Pentax MV is much smaller and lighter, but the lack of exposure controls is frustrating. The Nikon nailed the exposures every frame, every time.

thank you, I will look into this camera

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
I have a lot of cameras. Some, uh, really expensive ones.

But I am all over this!

OP
OP
pamphoto

pamphoto

Shooter
35mm
I have a lot of cameras. Some, uh, really expensive ones.

But I am all over this!

Hi Huss,
Looks a lot like the N90. I'll have to look into this one as well.
Thank you. 😊

4season

Shooter
Plastic Cameras
I bought a Nikon F3 with flakey LCD. It turned out that a previous owner had attempted to mend a cracked part of the housing with cyanoacrylate glue, and vapors from it had contaminated the electrical contacts of the display, necessitating disassembly and cleaning. Not overly difficult for a camera repair, but not something that I’d recommend as a first attempt at camera repair.

OP
OP
pamphoto

pamphoto

Shooter
35mm
I bought a Nikon F3 with flakey LCD. It turned out that a previous owner had attempted to mend a cracked part of the housing with cyanoacrylate glue, and vapors from it had contaminated the electrical contacts of the display, necessitating disassembly and cleaning. Not overly difficult for a camera repair, but not something that I’d recommend as a first attempt at camera repair.

Thank you 4season. I do not think I will attempt repairing it myself. It would be nice if I knew how though. 🙂

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom