Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnmcc
Recent bookmarks

ted_smith

Shooter
Multi Format
When using my Hasselblad 501CM in quite heavy rain and wind the other day, after about two hours I noticed these mysterious rings appearing on the Acutte Matt D viewfinder.

Once the Blad had tried out, they dissapeared.

What are they, and do I need to worry about it? Obviously a cause of the wet, but quite odd how they are perfectly circular and cylindrical. I assume they won't impact the image on film as the picture goes out the back through the curtains.

Attachments

• PC310303.JPG
    PC310303.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 106
  • PC310304.JPG
    PC310304.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 98

bdial

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
You probably got a drop of water between the screen and the Fresnel. Once in there capillary action pulled it around.
That's my guess, anyway.
No it won't affect the image. If everything is dry there probably won't be a lasting problem. I would probably remove the screen and make sure it doesn't have any lingering moisture either on or around it.

OP
OP
ted_smith

ted_smith

Shooter
Multi Format
Yeah, I took your advice and took the screen out just now to clean it and dry it (never done that before - didn't realise it was so easy!).

What I noticed is that really faint circular rings could be seen - almost opaque against the glass, so I think when it gets wet, the magnification distance to the mirrors emphasises them to make them as visible as they were in the screenshots above.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Yeah, I took your advice and took the screen out just now to clean it and dry it (never done that before - didn't realise it was so easy!).

What I noticed is that really faint circular rings could be seen - almost opaque against the glass, so I think when it gets wet, the magnification distance to the mirrors emphasises them to make them as visible as they were in the screenshots above.

Ted:

Google "fresnel" and consider "faint circular rings" :smile:

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom