My First Attempt @ Self-Publishing

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by BrianPhotog, Feb 20, 2009.

1. BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    After getting some strong poking from some people I decided to "self publish" a small book of my favorite street photos taken in Taipei, Taiwan over 2008.

The book is not terrible big in size or pages (8.5" square, 39 pages) in order to keep the price down and I've also made it available as an eBook.

You can see a preview of the book and purchase a copy (only if you want to :tongue: ) here: http://www.lulu.com/content/5957523

Those not familiar with my street photography can check out my gallery at deviantArt, where I am the moderator of the street gallery.

Any and all constructive comments are always appreciated. :D

Some photos from the book:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I have used Lulu for text only stuff, and I love the concept. I would be very interested if you get a copy for you to tell what the quality is like and if you feel that it's worth it?

3. OP
    OP
    BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It actually turned out better then I thought it would...but remember that the format isn't large and my photos are rather high-key b&w.

But it turned out much better then I had *heard* that it would.

"heard" = Internet chatter.

Next time I'll try blurb, which I've "heard" works well.

But I'm not disappointed with Lulu.

4. HarryRosen

HarryRosen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    i recently purchased seasons of the moon from focus publishing, which seems to offer photographers an alternative to self publishing.

the quality of this book was incredible. the photographer's work was equally amazing. the printing looks like it was done by some fancy europeon printer.

5. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is the link to the company Harry mentioned: http://www.focuspublishing.net/

I don't know anything about them but I thought I'd save you guys the search, they have a common name.

6. vdonovan

vdonovan Member

Shooter:
    Traditional
    I'm sure Focus does good work. The problem is their minimum order is 1000 books. It looks like their typical book price is $20, so you're looking at a big outlay.

The nice thing about Lulu and other Print On Demand services is that there is no minimum order. You can buy one or a thousand.

I've printed books using Lulu, Blurb, and MyPublisher. I think MyPublisher has the best quality of the bunch, but I'm sure it is nowhere near the quality of Focus. It also doesn't cost $20,000