Members
Latest member
tanager4
Recent bookmarks

Jon Shiu

Subscriber
Shooter
Plastic Cameras
Hi, I am looking for an alternative to Light Impressions Westminster Rag board. I like the Westminster bright white product, but it is too expensive. I want to buy pre-cut 16x20 4 ply sheets. Are other "Museum Board"/rag board basically the same? I'm looking for the same color as Westminster, or even a little more bright. Does anyone use Rising Museum Board? I saw it for a somewhat cheaper price.

Jon

Claire Senft

Shooter
35mm
Calumet

I have used the Calumet 100 rag board in 4 ply in both the buffered and unbuffered versions. I was unable to find a source selling this quality board as ecomonically. I know nothing about the Rising products.

SchwinnParamount

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
Claire Senft said:
I have used the Calumet 100 rag board in 4 ply in both the buffered and unbuffered versions. I was unable to find a source selling this quality board as ecomonically. I know nothing about the Rising products.

Rising must be good. Daniel Smith is from Seattle. That would be my town :D
Seriously, I don't know them either but I'll likely run over to their storefront this weekend and pick up a couple of sheet.

Shooter
4x5 Format
I use Rising Boards.

I use the white and antique... If I recall correctly the white is very similar to the Light Impressions board. The board has a nice weight and density to it. I've used some boards that are a bit softer and haven't liked them at all compared to the Rising. Rising has become my standard now. (I order them from Woolfitts Art Supply in Toronto)

joe

KenM

Shooter
4x5 Format
I also use Rising boards, in bright white. Very nice stuff, nice and clean, with little or no texture. I get my supply from Mono Lisa here in Calgary.

WarEaglemtn

Shooter
Multi Format
Take a good look at Bainbridge Alpharag Artcare board. Every test so far shows it far superior to anything on the market for protecting your images. If you go to http://www.michaelandpaula.com and check the articles you will find out more on it.
The board has a microchamber trapping system that somehow actively protects the image from contaminants that come in from outside as well as outgassing from prints themselves.
It cuts easily & is a beautiful board to work with.

Monophoto

Shooter
Multi Format
Years ago, David Vestal recommended Light Impressions Exeter board as an economical alternative to either Westminster board. I've been using it ever since, and I love it. All I have ever used is their "gallery white" - sort of a creamish color - but they also have an "ivory" and "bright white".

And to reinforce a subtle point made by Michael - it does cut very cleanly.

roteague

Shooter
4x5 Format
WarEaglemtn said:
Take a good look at Bainbridge Alpharag Artcare board.

This is the same board I use for all my prints; it is quite nice.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom