Multiple dilution film processing

Guitar Village

A
Guitar Village

  • 3
  • 0
  • 105
Beach Barista

A
Beach Barista

  • 2
  • 2
  • 237
In the Old Town

A
In the Old Town

  • 3
  • 2
  • 241
The Longest Day

H
The Longest Day

  • 0
  • 0
  • 178
Bad Copy

H
Bad Copy

  • 0
  • 0
  • 176

Forum statistics

Threads
177,879
Messages
2,442,218
Members
94,342
Latest member
donaldmturners
Recent bookmarks
0
Joined
Apr 20, 2003
Messages
1,626
Location
Southern Cal
Shooter
Large Format
I was wondering if anyone in this group has ever tried processing their film either; with two different dilutions of the same chemistry or two different chemistries in a 2 step developer system.
Thanks to E-Bay I've had a windfall of 3 1/2 gallon stainless dip and dunk tanks, this added with the 3, I already have gives me more options for creative film development.
I can imagine by doing this highlights and mid values could be isolated through dilutions and processed accordingly.
Maybe even, by using 2 different chemistries, take advantage of the assets from each chemistry.
If any one has tried this your insite would be appreciated.

BTW, I now have far more film hangers than I'll ever use. In all formats 8x10, 5x7 and 4x5. I'll be happy to donate to a good home some of each of the 4x5 and 8x10 and all the 5x7. Please pm me and expect to pay for shipping. Karen and I will be out of town the next couple weeks but after that we can send to the interested individuals.
 

David A. Goldfarb

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 7, 2002
Messages
19,847
Location
Honolulu, Ha
Shooter
Large Format
I know I've read about people using two developers, one for the highlights and one for the shadows. Could be interesting if you've got room for all those tanks!
 
OP
OP
Joined
Apr 20, 2003
Messages
1,626
Location
Southern Cal
Shooter
Large Format
Karen ask me the same thing! I just told her she was going to have to move into the garage. Unfortunately she has other plans so I'm stuck in the space I already occupy. Oh well it will work somehow....
 

David A. Goldfarb

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 7, 2002
Messages
19,847
Location
Honolulu, Ha
Shooter
Large Format
There's a good discussion of divided development in Anchell's _Darkroom Cookbook_. That could be another possibility.
 

Ole

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 9, 2002
Messages
9,250
Location
Bergen, Norway
Shooter
Large Format
I did that recently...

I remembered just in time that my latest 18x24cm negs had been exposed at factory rating, which is a bit too optimistic in most cases.

So instead of developing all the way in Pyrocat-HD, I gave them 4 minutes in Neofin Blue first. The Neofin increases the sensitivity somewhat and starts the development evenly across all the tones.

The Pyrocat-HD then took over the highlights, and developed them all the way without giving "burnout" as Neofin would have done.

Nice negs!
 

Tom Hoskinson

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Messages
3,874
Location
Southern Cal
Shooter
Multi Format
Ole said:
I did that recently...

I remembered just in time that my latest 18x24cm negs had been exposed at factory rating, which is a bit too optimistic in most cases.

So instead of developing all the way in Pyrocat-HD, I gave them 4 minutes in Neofin Blue first. The Neofin increases the sensitivity somewhat and starts the development evenly across all the tones.

The Pyrocat-HD then took over the highlights, and developed them all the way without giving "burnout" as Neofin would have done.

Nice negs!
Very interesting, Ole. I am going to try this with an 8x10 shot of a sunset.

Did you use the commercial version of Neofin Blue or the version you posted in the Chemical Recipes?
 

Ole

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 9, 2002
Messages
9,250
Location
Bergen, Norway
Shooter
Large Format
Tom Hoskinson said:
Very interesting, Ole. I am going to try this with an 8x10 shot of a sunset.

Did you use the commercial version of Neofin Blue or the version you posted in the Chemical Recipes?

As far as I recall, the version I posted was Beutler's original plate developer. I don't know the formula for Neofin! But I bought some fresh Neofin to help me with an upcoming experiment: To find out if there's any difference between that and "Beutlers". So I used the commercial stuff this time :wink:
 

Tom Hoskinson

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Messages
3,874
Location
Southern Cal
Shooter
Multi Format
Ole said:
As far as I recall, the version I posted was Beutler's original plate developer. I don't know the formula for Neofin! But I bought some fresh Neofin to help me with an upcoming experiment: To find out if there's any difference between that and "Beutlers". So I used the commercial stuff this time :wink:

Thanks Ole!

BTW, you posted two Beutler recipes:

1. Willi Beutler's Plate Developers

2. The Original Beutler's
 

Ole

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 9, 2002
Messages
9,250
Location
Bergen, Norway
Shooter
Large Format
Tom Hoskinson said:
BTW, you posted two Beutler recipes:

My, so I did! But the A part is the same in both instances :wink:
 
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom