Minolta x700 focusing screen or unusal occurrence

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by KingJon, Feb 16, 2009.

1. KingJon

KingJon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just wanted to relate an unusual occurrence and ask a question. Was out shooting with my X700 and the focusing screen popped out and fell on to the return mirror. Sending the camera in for service is not an option right now, so my question is will simply snapping the screen back into place prevent me from continuing to use the camera until I return home and am able to send it in for servicing?
    Thanks,
    Jon

2. Ken22485

Ken22485 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The focusing screens on the X700 are meant to be interchangeable.

Slide the rear of the screen into place. At the front of the camera is a small retaining clip at the front of the camera - you'll need to pull this forward using a small screwdriver, and the screen should drop into place. Be very careful not to scratch the screen and to hold it by the edges only.

There are good instructions on how to do this at the Classic Camera Repair Forum.

No need to send it off for repair.

3. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I haven't looked at this recently but I think there were two versions of the X-700. In one version (the first one?) the screen slides in the way you describe. The second version has a kind of frame which drops down and which holds the screen. When Minolta still had a repair facilty in Ramsey, NJ I would just ask them to change screens for me. Now I keep a grid screen in one X-700 and a plain matte screen in another. Last year I added a third X-700 but that one needs work before it can be used. If I decide to overhaul it I will leave the standard screen in. Somewhere I have a bunch of different X-700 screens. If I am in a screen changing mood I will use one of my Canon F-1 cameras. Changing F-1 screens is a lot easier and I have many different ones. If I put a plain 50/1.4 lens on the X-700 with the grid screen and then put a Canon 50/1.4 on an F-1n with the L D screen, I think the Minolta still looks brighter. The X-700 also has a more sensitive meter and uses the excellent 280PX and 360PX flash units. In low light or with flash I prefer the X-700s. In better light or for macro work I prefer the Canons.

4. ajrilo

ajrilo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    where did you get your x-700 focus screens from? I would like to get hold of one each of the nine different types produced for the Minolta X-700.There still has to be some out there somewhere, right....?