Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyanotypeworld
Recent bookmarks

susanholstein

Shooter
Large Format
I'm getting set up for platinum palladium printing and need to know my base exposure time for my film and paper combos with traditional negatives. I read that you are supposed to develop an unexposed piece of film and develop it to use for the test. My question is does the developing time for the film matter? For example, would I use my N, N+1 or N+2 time, or does that matter?
For reference I'm developing in pyrocat hd 2:2:100.

Thanks!

Bob Carnie

Subscriber
Shooter
Med. Format RF
Susan when I was printing Pt Pd from in camera negatives , I always gravitated to a negative that was more contrasty than what I would consider a normal negative... If a normal neg in my darkroom printed at grade 2 1/2 I would make a negative that required a 1 grade.

Vaughn will probably chip in here as he is still doing this and has been doing this for a very long time and I would defer to his guidance..

faberryman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It doesn't really matter as long as the film is unexposed. You are only trying to determine the density of the film base plus fog.

Vaughn

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
I use an already exposed/developed negative to test for minimum exposure for black -- when the negs' rebate is as black as the area outside the negative in a print, then you have the minimum exposure for a black. If you use a fresh un-exposed piece of film to test with, use whatever is your usual development method, as that will determine the amount of fog (if any) you will have.

OP
OP

susanholstein

Shooter
Large Format
Thanks for your help everyone!
Ok that makes sense because you would just be looking for the point at which the line of the rebate disappears, same as you would if you used an unexposed piece. Thanks so much, that saves me a step.

Last edited:

Vaughn

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Great! Sometimes it is nice to keep the exposure at the point where the rebate is just a touch lighter than the pure black outside it when wet, but drys down to the same black. Have fun!

Slixtiesix

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
There is no need to waste a roll of film, just use the film leader. Don´t forget the dry down effect if you are working with FB paper.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom