Threads
Members
Latest member
perfectiontips
Recent bookmarks

Barry06GT

Shooter
Medium Format
What camera strap/carry strap is good for larger medium format cameras.

The 645's are not much bigger than a big digital SLR, so any camera strap is good, even with a motor drive.

But what about a Mamiya RB or RZ ?

Or do all the smart people keep the big guns mounted to a tripod?

Does any one go walking around with these big cameras?

Shooter
Multi Format
The RB's (not sure about the RZ's) have strap mounting lugs that model specific straps latch onto. They don't let go. I got one from B&H last year for around $34.00 USD. Really depends on the camera you are looking to get one for.

Q.G.

Shooter
Medium Format
I think the best strap to carry a MF camera on is that of your camera bag. Much more comfortable to carry the camera in the bag than on any neck strap.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I think the best strap to carry a MF camera on is that of your camera bag. Much more comfortable to carry the camera in the bag than on any neck strap.

That said. When one gets to the place were they want to take photographs a neck strap is preferred by more that not.

Steve

Q.G.

Shooter
Medium Format
You're probably right.
I then carry my camera in my hand.
Unless when i'm near water, or a big drop. Silly, irrational fear takes over then, i guess. :wink:

ContaxRTSFundus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
With the Mamiya RB/RZ 67, as has been said, all that matters is that you have the correct, dedicated strap lugs and then just like with the 645, you can choose a variety of straps to attach. I have a number of Contax W-50 straps from 1978 which are perfect as they are very wide at the shoulder and so cushion the weight of medium format cameras. The other option with the RB/RZ 67 is to use their grips which come with a carry strap.

The only medium format camera that I would never try to carry round my neck or strapped to one hand is the Fuji GX680...

mexico531

Shooter
Medium Format
I don't know if one would fit an RB or not, but the most comfortable strap I have found for my SQa with speed grip and prism is the optech.

Shooter
Multi Format
There are times where I hand hold my RB67 and I would not dare do so without a strap attached. The strap aforementioned by yours truly has a long enough adjustment that it can hang quite low for easy and comfortable use of the WLF while being secured from a sharp jolt resulting from a sudden acquiescence to the throes of gravity.

zenrhino

Shooter
Medium Format
Straps for MF

I use a Hassy and a Bronica GS-1, mostly hand-held so a good strap is a big part of my kit.

For the Hassy I use the Domke strap (whichever one has the rubber grippy things like the camera bag straps) and it works just fine but I wish it were a bit longer so I could have it over my neck and a shoulder and have the camera tucked under my coat in the winter.

For the GS-1 (aka, the Beast) I use an Upstrap. With that ubergrippy rubber pad, it doesn't go anywhere. It will however, over time, totally F up any soft wool jacket you're wearing if you carry it on your shoulder. And they're hard to find here in the Cities. We have to mailorder them. =(

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
The Mamiya 645s also require special lugs.

I too really prefer to have straps on all cameras.

Matt

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom