Threads
Members
Latest member
swededreams
Recent bookmarks

haclil

Shooter
35mm
OMG, the shutter of my C330 has been left cocked. Maybe for as many as five years or even more :-( It's been mostly on the shelf for years.

I've released the shutter and it sounds fine. Tripping it at different speeds, my eye and ear tell me it's working properly.

My question: should I not "fool around" and straight-away replace the spring? Or is it most likely undamaged even after such prolonged tension?

Steve Smith

Shooter
Medium Format
If it works, I would just leave it alone. Not sure what Mamiya suggest for the TLRs but the RB67 lenses have to be cocked to remove and refit them to the body so cocked is their state when not in use.

Steve.

Shooter
Medium Format
A well-designed spring will not be weakened if it is stored under tension. The reason so many people advise storing gear with springs not tensioned, is that some old gear wasn't designed well, or had poor metal in the springs.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I would consider testing the shutter speeds, but otherwise I wouldn't be too concerned.

Matt

DanielStone

Shooter
Multi Format
so is it better to store lenses(I have an RZ) uncocked, like a gun? just a little less dangerous of course :smile:

even though the RZ has electronic leaf shutters, there is still the lever on the lenses, just like the rb. I've been storing them de-cocked, and I haven't had any problems....

same with the camera body, leave the mirror up..

-Dan

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Hasselblad wants the lenses and camera bodies stored cocked.

Stee

David A. Goldfarb

Shooter
Large Format
Springs should not weaken under tension in general.

I think the issue with older shutters is that the high speeds often depended on a booster spring that put more stress on the other mechanisms in the shutter, so maybe you wouldn't want to leave them cocked and set at the top two speeds.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
I agree with David. The main spring in most leaf shutters is under tension even in the un-cocked state.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom